Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 07:02 PM

2,206 posts, read 4,747,091 times

Advertisements

What is this scoring everyone talks about??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2012, 02:51 PM

1 posts, read 4,378 times
One of my twin girl got 97 (wl 6) and other on 96(WL 15) .. Is there any chance of WL 6 getting confirmed? Our second choice was Harry stone .. Does anyone knows what score is WL number 1 there ?

Old 03-07-2012, 01:31 PM

32 posts, read 59,709 times
My daughter got accepted in 2nd grade last year from a #3 waiting list spot. She took the last spot.
She scored 99 on her ITBS scores.

Her younger sister who was applying to Kinder did not get in. She was 33rd on the waiting list.

Her sister did get accepted this week for 1st grade. They honor a sibling preference priority for open spots, so we are thankful to have both in the same school next year.

Good luck!

Old 03-08-2012, 08:16 PM

1 posts, read 4,594 times
Default Dealey 1st Grade waiting list

My son applied first grade 2012 and is 10th on waiting list. Does anyone know if he will have a good chance to get in?

Old 03-19-2012, 03:03 PM

7 posts, read 17,079 times
Just to share some info that I was told...
Pre-K: 240 applicants -- waiting list starts with a score of 98
1st Grade: 122 applicants -- waiting list starts with a score of 85

Old 03-19-2012, 07:19 PM

5 posts, read 34,289 times
I'm curious how the Dealey admissions rate compares to the admissions stats of area private schools.

Old 03-21-2012, 03:21 PM

1 posts, read 4,090 times
My kiddo scored a 90 and is number 3 on the WL at Harry Stone for 1st Grade. She was number 3 on the WL last year for kinder and didn't get in.

Old 11-02-2012, 01:52 PM

37 posts, read 76,476 times
I just stumbled across information about Dealey Montessori. I plan to make a move to Dallas within the next few months. I was planning on sending my child to a Catholic 4K next fall. I am strongly looking at applying him to St Monica. How does this school compare to the area Catholic schools? Is Dealey an option that I should strongly consider?

Old 03-05-2013, 04:45 PM

1 posts, read 3,335 times
I know these posts were from 2012 but I wanted to give some info - I believe that many children score in the high 90s and are still waitlisted - my child scored 98 and was 23 on the wait list for kindergarten. She moved up to #19 as people dropped off the wait list but still never got in. What does that tell you? They admit siblings and kids whose home school is low preforming first. If you are trying to get in with a 98 but your home school is Exemplary or Recognized or even Acceptable according to to the Texas scoring system then you have a much lower chance than a kid with an 89 coming from an unacceptable school. Whoever told the above poster that you had to have an 98 to get on the wait list was misinformed - I know a child who got in with an 89 for Pre-K. As it should be, they give kids who score average or slightly above average on the assessment but are in lower income areas and probably minorities the priority because they have very few other good options - 10k per year for private school or moving to Lakewood or Stonewall areas is not something they can just decide to do. If you are middle to upper income and live in a high preforming school area your best chance for getting in is for Pre-K or 1st grade - after that you are pretty much sunk. Sorry!

Old 03-06-2013, 08:58 AM

18 posts, read 31,764 times
Just to add, for future searchers who are interested in the process:

the Pre-K and 1st grade tests are ridiculously easy. They asked my pre-k'er to count to 10...he can count to 100. The gave my 1st grader analogies and asked him to write his ABC's (both of which he does regularly). No reading, no math problems, no writing sentences....all of which he can do.

My hypothesis is that the test is easy so that they have a lot of kids score high. This way they can easily pick and choose who gets in based on additional things like demographics. Technically, the top 30% automatically gets in regardless of demographics (location). So that is the top 9 of 30 students get an automatic seat. However, they make the test SO easy, that at least 30 students will get a max score. Thus..they can pick and choose who gets to come. They pick the remaining 70% from each of the learning areas in the district...this gives them demographic diversity.

So in the end; its almost a lottery. It's a tilted lottery (as the above poster hinted at); a high score from South Oak Cliff probably has a better chance of getting in than a high score from North Dallas. But the evaluation process (for Pre-K and 1st) is so easy that it is effectively a lottery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: