U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2012, 02:41 PM

1,245 posts, read 2,946,275 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Considering Coming Back View Post
The Munger area has many though, and those are cheaper per square foot than Lakewood proper. Houses over, say 3000 square feet, are fewer in the M Streets and Hollywood Heights. That's my point. If the woman has an 800k budget I see some amazing options in Lakewood proper.
There are a very few homes over 3k square foot, but even in Munger 2500 is a lot more common. I have several good friends in Munger and none of them live in homes over 3K square feet. True there are more than the almost 0% in M Streets

I just hate for someone reading this down the line to get the idea that we are where to come for big homes in Dallas.

Quote:
I guess it's all anecdotal at this point, but for what it's worth I know that in 2001 a really crappy and low scoring trumpet player got in because the top players went to Hillcrest and BA instead. I also know that one of the run of the mill male actors in the class on 2008 lived in Grand Prarie and got in because there were open slots. 2 years ago the Valedictorian lived in HP. I suppose she could have lived on Westside Dr, but somehow I doubt that. It's variable and if you have multiple skills you will get in every time. And if you can play the trumbone or barritone or tuba you will breeze in.
Some of it is anecdotal true, but some of it is not. Overall numbers have always been that there are significantly more applicants than those accepted. As you say it does vary by discipline, just as if you want to work as a professional string musician be a violinist not a violist. 10X the number of jobs going for violinists rather than violists. They certainly can't make room for all students who are good students and borderline talented though. I know there was debate in 2010, I don't know what the decision was at that point, because it didn't affect us (we are in district) but until then there was no preference for in district students. So the actor in 2008 had no disadvantage from being in Grand Prairie. Or the Valedictorian from HP.
From the Debate at that time, in a DMN blog entry
Also discussed was a change that would give in-district students preference for magnet school slots over out-of-district students. Some trustees did not like the notion that students outside DISD could take spots from those residing in the district.
"My concern is we are subsidizing the suburbs," Flores said.

He may well have been an indifferent actor. Plenty who get through audition based application processes are. As one who knows, auditions are largely useless as a measure of an actor's ability.

Quote:
I wasn't up to date on the middle school stuff. Travis sounds like a nightmare. But it also still sounds like Spence is the easy way to go if you're east of Central.
Yep, but Travis has the rep, and is entirely TAG students. Polk/Spence does not have the same rep - fairly or unfairly. A friend of my son did get into Travis this year, and I am very proud of, and happy for him. I think it is the perfect environment for him, just as I think Lanier will be great for my son, as was Lipscomb. I wish we could keep some of the teachers and staff from Lipscomb, but have the Vanguard programs from Lanier. I wish I could fly, and see through walls too though
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2012, 02:44 PM

16,092 posts, read 35,849,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macbeth2003 View Post
White started an Arts academy within the school to help attract students and funding as there are so many students rejected by Booker T.

I assume you saw that in the Sunday Dallas Morning News. It left the impression that W.T. White was the first school to do this - actually it was Woodrow, which had its redesign into four college prep academies* approved back in 2009. WTW has visual arts in addition. It's a much larger school (2,422) than Woodrow (1,599) if that may make another difference.

Woodrow has a long history in performing arts, especially musical theater and plays - see this thread Best PUBLIC High School for education and arts.

Anyone who is interested in Woodrow should see "Ordinary People" in competition at Hillcrest at 2 pm on April 5th and attend its 55th annual Broadway musical presentation, "Thoroughly Modern Millie", on April on April 19, 20, 21 or 22nd Woodrow Leads for 2012

* ACADEMY OF BUSINESS, FINANCE AND ENTREPRENEURSHIP

* ACADEMY OF INTERNATIONAL BACCALAUREATE

* Perfoming Arts http://woodrowwildcats.org/ACADEMICS...7/Default.aspx

* Woodrow STEM Academy

Old 03-06-2012, 02:56 PM

1,245 posts, read 2,946,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
I assume you saw that in the Sunday Dallas Morning News. It left the impression that W.T. White was the first school to do this - actually it was Woodrow, which had its redesign into four college prep academies* approved back in 2009. WTW has visual arts in addition. It's a much larger school (2,422) than Woodrow (1,599) if that may make another difference.

Woodrow has a long history in performing arts, especially musical theater and plays - see this thread Best PUBLIC High School for education and arts.

Anyone who is interested in Woodrow should see "Ordinary People" in competition at Hillcrest at 2 pm on April 5th and attend its 55th annual Broadway musical presentation, "Thoroughly Modern Millie", on April on April 19, 20, 21 or 22nd Woodrow Leads for 2012

* ACADEMY OF BUSINESS, FINANCE AND ENTREPRENEURSHIP

* ACADEMY OF INTERNATIONAL BACCALAUREATE

* Perfoming Arts ACADEMY OF PERFORMING ARTS

* Woodrow STEM Academy
Yeah, I probably should have mentioned Woodrow as well. I mentioned White, because it had just been in the press, and because in some of what I heard, saw, read they spoke of it as being partially because of the high rejection rate of Booker T. and an attempt to gain transfers. Woodrow's is more of an attempt to provide this pathway for neighborhood kids so they need not leave the Lakewood/OED community for private schools.Just as The IB and AP programs meet academic needs of that nature.
Both are admirable, and more schools should do it. Alas it is always the arts that get cut.... but that is another subject, and I could go on about it for days.

Old 03-06-2012, 04:23 PM

2,206 posts, read 3,807,707 times
Quote:
I did not expect to be flamed so quickly!
It was not a flame.

Quote:
I meant that the east coast schools I named all required academic tests to get in, like the Townview schools. All 5 schools are closed to people who do not live in their respective jurisdictions, btw.

That is why they are called "Public Exam Schools." The fact you left out Bronx means you have limited knowledge of the situation in NYC.

Quote:
And the elite do not send thier kids there. TJ and Stuy are both "for Asians" and Hunter is for "dogooder liberals".
Really? LOL. I know parents whose kids are grown and went to Caltech who still are upset that their kids did not get into Hunter. Its very, very hard to get into Hunter.

Quote:
So sure, TAG is better academically than all comprehensive schools in the country, but is TAG better than its peer magnets? I don't know
Riight.

Quote:

Stuy is HUGE its 121 NMSF's are 'only' 14% of the class. Is that better than TAG? Maybe. TJ has 156 NMSF's- 35% of its class and Hunter has 69, 38% of its class. That's insane. No schools in Texas come close. TAMS in Denton is probably the closest in Texas with 34 NMSF's.
Actually, St Marks consistently is 20%+ and rank up with Hunter in that respect. Most of these kids would be in DISD. There is a reason they are not.

Quote:
St Marks and Hockaday always do really well but those are elite, single gender private schools. More like Collegiate in Manhattan than Hunter.

For the record Booker T has 4 NMSF this year, SEM 2 and Woodrow and Hillcrest 1 each.
I think Sulphur Springs had a NMSF this year, too. Does that mean its just as good as SEM? Or Woodrow?

The Tier 1 privates in Dallas admit more students on financial support than TAG has in its classes.

TAG is a fine school, but it is nowhere near the NYC exam schools or TJ or the Silicon Valley High Schools. There is just no comparison.

Old 03-06-2012, 05:11 PM

743 posts, read 1,066,385 times
I also left out Brooklyn Tech, or did you not deem it necessary to point out every omission I made?

And did I say it's not hard to get into Hunter? No, I did not. I said your characterization that the "elite" send their children there is mistaken. The Wall Street Titans and the media execs send their kids to Dalton or Trinity. But what does that matter? This woman was asking about Dallas Magnet schools.

Old 03-06-2012, 06:03 PM

291 posts, read 575,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TX75007 View Post
Stuy/Hunter/TJ are not peers with the DISD magnets by any stretch of the imagination.

The former schools typically have 10-25% of their class as National Merits and the mean SAT IIs in the 2200s. The DISD magnets might have one or two NMSF each year.

In the DFW area, only St Marks/Hockaday are consistently on par with any of those schools.

What Stuy/Hunter/TJ do is pull ALL the top kids from their area. If DFW had two schools where ALL the top kids went, then THAT would be a Stuy or TJ. Ie, PISD, TAMS, the Tier 1 privates, etc, all sent their students to one school.

That is what is at those schools.
There are more than 2 "magnet" schools in NYC. In NYC, Stuyvesant, Brooklyn Tech, and Bronx High School of science are called math and science high schools and you do indeed have to take a test to get into. Stuy and Bronx alternate between which gets the highest scorers. If you get the highest scores in one particular year, for example, you get into Stuy. If you don't get high enough, then you may get into Bronx or Brooklyn Tech. Hunter is from 7-12 and not 9-12. You have to take the Hunter exam when you are in 6th grade.

In NYC, when you are in 8th grade, you can go to your local school or you can apply to particular programs in high schools throughout NYC. For example, if you are interested in journalism, you might apply to the journalism program at Murrow H.S. If you are interested in engineering, you might apply to X program at X high school.

Old 03-06-2012, 06:14 PM

291 posts, read 575,397 times
What do you consider the "elite"?. I had a large number of friends when I was at Stuy who had gone to private school through 8th grade and then left to come to Stuy.

Oh, Stuy is not just for Asians and HCHS is not just for liberals...lol

There were 700 students in my graduating class. You cannot classify them all with a broad brush. Yes, the school was majority Asian but that is b/c they did well on the test.

Quote:
I did not expect to be flamed so quickly!

I meant that the east coast schools I named all required academic tests to get in, like the Townview schools. All 5 schools are closed to people who do not live in their respective jurisdictions, btw. No one in Nassau can go to Hunter and no one in Arlington can go to TJ. And the elite do not send thier kids there. TJ and Stuy are both "for Asians" and Hunter is for "dogooder liberals".

I take issue with the Jay Matthews ratings because he says he is not considering schools that have admissions tests and yet he ranks TAG number 1 every year. So sure, TAG is better academically than all comprehensive schools in the country, but is TAG better than its peer magnets? I don't know

In defense of TAG, it is a very small campus. I think it has a class of 40 and 5 kids in the class of 2012 are National Merit- 12.5%. That is not bad at all.

Stuy is HUGE its 121 NMSF's are 'only' 14% of the class. Is that better than TAG? Maybe. TJ has 156 NMSF's- 35% of its class and Hunter has 69, 38% of its class. That's insane. No schools in Texas come close. TAMS in Denton is probably the closest in Texas with 34 NMSF's.

St Marks and Hockaday always do really well but those are elite, single gender private schools. More like Collegiate in Manhattan than Hunter.

For the record Booker T has 4 NMSF this year, SEM 2 and Woodrow and Hillcrest 1 each.

Old 03-09-2012, 11:04 AM

56 posts, read 76,744 times
Woodrow is a quasi-magnet as students are able to transfer from all over Dallas for IB. First-round applications are already in for this year. Long will also offer transfer options for IB Middle Years.

Old 03-15-2012, 04:11 PM

4 posts, read 40,160 times
I have 2 kids one in elementary and one in middle schools and I am so confused by the different posts about schools. I cannot afford to buy a house so basically looking for aparment in plano/irving/richardson (scared reading about crime areas) and good schools my kids can go to.
They get good grades and they go to schools now where they can enroll in various afterschools programs with very less cost.
We plan to move during the summer break and then enroll them in schools?
Do they put us on waiting lists for admissions to schools.my kids have always gone to public schools?
Any suggestions on schools? How much are the fees for private schools?
What time are admissions for new academic year.
Can anyone give some info?

--Very worried mom

Old 03-18-2012, 12:56 PM

82 posts, read 101,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
5. The DISD School Board is completely and totally inept. You should attend a school board meeting or two before deciding to move into the district because those monkeys wil be making decisions regarding your children's academic careers.
Maybe the wrap against DISD really is about race! "Monkeys" - really? What an outrageous statement!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or