U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2012, 12:17 PM

7,292 posts, read 8,123,957 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnabasc View Post
Maybe the wrap against DISD really is about race! "Monkeys" - really? What an outrageous statement!
Please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2012, 01:11 PM

11,675 posts, read 21,245,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barnabasc View Post
Maybe the wrap against DISD really is about race! "Monkeys" - really? What an outrageous statement!
Hardly!! Go sit in on a few DISD board meetings and see if you think that group of men and women (who are of MANY races) are capable of making solid, long-term intelligent and strategic decisions for the district. What I have witnessed is incessant arguing about their own "fiefdoms" and NO discussion about curriculum, increasing college preparedness, etc. Watch them approve thousands of dollars of adminkstrative spending with the blink of an eye.

It is the most aggravating civic meeting I have ever witnessed! So yes, I think that qualifies the DISD board to be called "a bunch of monkeys".

Old 03-18-2012, 09:34 PM

1,245 posts, read 2,939,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
It is the most aggravating civic meeting I have ever witnessed! So yes, I think that qualifies the DISD board to be called "a bunch of monkeys".
Absolutely. I love a lot of DISD schools, and I often argue that you have to judge the schools not a district. Plenty of good schools in bad districts, or good schools in bad districts. That said, DISD seems to require a lack of competence to be involved as either a board member or an administrator.

Old 03-19-2012, 11:52 AM

2,206 posts, read 3,794,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
Hardly!! Go sit in on a few DISD board meetings and see if you think that group of men and women (who are of MANY races) are capable of making solid, long-term intelligent and strategic decisions for the district.
I agree. When other cities compete for Dallas for business to relocate, the competing cities provide the search executives video tapes of the Dallas City Council and DISD meetings.

But, on the other hand, how many Dallas residents who have the mojo to do so run for local offices?

Most of the top parents' kids go to the privates so what does it matter to them if the DISD schools suck? Or HPISD is its own island.

This still begs the question as to why many of the remaining parents have built bridges across the DISD to get better trustees. If community leaders and parents go together, DISD could be fixed in a few years.

Old 03-25-2012, 09:57 PM

1 posts, read 1,384 times
We are in the same boat. Currently live in a suburb south of Dallas and looking to move due to schools. I lived near Lakewood/Junius Heights before kids and loved it. We are tossing up exemplary schools vs. being in a neighborhood that is open minded and diverse. We really want to be somewhere where people are out and about with their families; where you know and interact with your neighbors. The suggestion about attending a PTA meeting is excellent. I have both the Lipscomb and Lakewood upcoming meetings on my calendar.

Old 04-10-2012, 10:17 AM

13 posts, read 16,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchids40 View Post
I have 2 kids one in elementary and one in middle schools and I am so confused by the different posts about schools. I cannot afford to buy a house so basically looking for aparment in plano/irving/richardson (scared reading about crime areas) and good schools my kids can go to.
They get good grades and they go to schools now where they can enroll in various afterschools programs with very less cost.
We plan to move during the summer break and then enroll them in schools?
Do they put us on waiting lists for admissions to schools.my kids have always gone to public schools?
Any suggestions on schools? How much are the fees for private schools?
What time are admissions for new academic year.
Can anyone give some info?

--Very worried mom
There is no waiting list for your neighborhood, public school. You are entitled to attend the school that is within your zoning district. The district boundaries are available on the school district's website. Good luck with your move.

Old 04-10-2012, 10:49 AM

16,092 posts, read 35,792,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by downtoearthmama View Post
We are in the same boat. Currently live in a suburb south of Dallas and looking to move due to schools. I lived near Lakewood/Junius Heights before kids and loved it. We are tossing up exemplary schools vs. being in a neighborhood that is open minded and diverse. We really want to be somewhere where people are out and about with their families; where you know and interact with your neighbors. The suggestion about attending a PTA meeting is excellent. I have both the Lipscomb and Lakewood upcoming meetings on my calendar.
Lakewood is exemplary, so is Robert E. Lee. Lipscomb and Stonewall Jackson are recognized. They were both previously exemplary - the rankings dropped a peg because Lipscomb added fifth grade and Stonewall Jackson had its large special education (regional school for the deaf) counted for the first time (as did Long and Woodrow, which also house the deaf school at the secondary level).

Lakewood Kindergarten Roundup is Thursday: Attention: Parents of Kindergarteners for 2012-2013! « Stallion Stomp

Lipscomb is hosting a tea on Saturday: Garden Tea Party at Lipscomb - Lakewood Calendar - Neighborhood Events, Sales and More - Lakewood, Texas

Old 05-31-2012, 12:51 PM

39 posts, read 65,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandiegotodallas View Post
1. About us...we just moved to Dallas from San Diego and we have 2 kids (ages 4 and 2.5) with kindergarten start dates of Fall 2013 and Fall 2014 respectively...thus education / safety is our primary concern.
I have lived in Junius Heights for over 13 years. Wt rented for 3.5 and bought almost 10 years ago. It is SAFE!
2. Prior to moving out we were told to stay away from Dallas ISD and that if you want a short commute to downtown, Richardson schools were the way to go (ie if you want to go the public route...which we do). Thus we were told to move to either Lake Highlands or Prairie / Canyon Creek.
Both are good area's

4. We are ready to buy and would like to stay in the $400K and under range...but could go up to $500K if we absolutely LOVED the place. We would prefer a 4 bedroom 2.5 bath with at least 2500 sq. ft., however we could make a 3 bedroom work if necessary. Now to my questions:
I recommend Junius Heights or Munger Place

A) Is the wrap against DISD all about race? We are coming from California, so this is not a particularly big deal to us. Yes, we are Caucasian...however sending our kids to a school with a diverse population actually appeals to us. Granted, we do realize that socioeconomic factors can play a large role in the quality of education...but with all of the Magnet programs offered, it seems that they are able to focus on those that value education, regardless of race/creed, etc. I also understand that we are in the bible belt and religious schools are important to people...so I could understand that being a deterrent for many...however it is not for us. Please enlighten me as to why I should or should NOT send my children to the highest rated schools in the country.
Hit the nail on the head!There are certainly other issues in DISD, but the broad and sweeping comments are more about fears of being in the minority...or not the majority from my personal opinion.
B) Many people we have met rave about Lakewood elementary and Stonewall Jackson, yet claim people go private after elementary. Why? Is it difficult to navigate the Magnet system? I do not pretend that my kids are somehow more gifted than others, however my husband and I both have advanced degrees and given all other socioeconomic factors, it is likely that our children will be relatively successful in school...fingers crossed Would it be a gamble to assume they could get into one of the Magnet programs? What are the drawbacks, if any, of the Magnet schools once you are accepted?
Booker T Washington is an AMAZING Arts school and there are many other options. I navigated with my oldest son and he went the Arts route. We have tow Elementary sons and will make the HS decision as we get there but I am part of a group who made a very conscious and informed decision to choose our neighborhood elementary before our kids even entered school, Lipscomb. My kids have had a great education, made great neighborhood friendships, and the teachers are overall fantastic! Long and Woodrow are both IB programs and Lipscomb is considering IB.

C) After careful consideration of our needs/wants, we are looking into Prairie Creek, White Rock, Lakewood and Arthur Kramer elementary schools. We have a real estate agent and are aware of what we can/can’t afford in those respective areas, we just want more answers with regards to the schools and safety of the neighborhood. Here are the pros/cons we see for each:

Praire Creek- Neighborhood seems tranquil and safe. Elementary school is idyllic…the Junior High and High School seem to be the concern. So I suppose we would face the same issues in DISD, correct?

White Rock-See Above…with the added concern of potential nearby crime…however the planned addition of the Town Center (whenever that may occur) is encouraging that the area may be headed in the right direction.

Lakewood-Great neighborhood, plus offers dual language program…only drawback may be the strict learning environment I have read about and nearby crime (plus smaller/older home).

Arthur Kramer-Convenient to everything, dual language program...drawback may be that most of the students are socioeconomically disadvantaged…although from attending their Open House it seemed as if this was not a hindrance to the quality of education and special programs they are able to provide.

Did we miss anything? I would love to hear the brutal truth (either positive or negative) from someone that has actually lived/experienced either of these areas…or can at least speak to our concerns with regards to the Dallas Independent School District.
I love Living in Junius Heights! It is a safe, porch community and very family friendly. We have long lasting neighborhood friendships, the boys love their school, and we love the diversity! It is generally consider the "Lakewood area" but ask about Munger Place, too.
Regards,
Anxious Mom
Best to you on your search!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or