U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2012, 03:34 PM

72 posts, read 137,377 times

Advertisements

I've got 2 peach trees that do great. If I leave them be they'll produce a couple hundred peaches each. Only downsides are that squirrels love them so about 2/3rds of the peaches are damaged. They also stink for 2 weeks when they fall into the grass and rot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2012, 05:22 PM

1,282 posts, read 2,976,793 times
The larger trees previously mentioned are all great (live oak, cedar elm, red oak, etc) Be aware that oaks will usually produce acorns, which can potentially be a headache. We have 3 cedar elms on our suburban property (just over a quarter acre) as our large scale trees. They are easy to care for and will make a great canopy when they reach maturity. Chinese pistache is another great tree (medium scale) for our area and has a wonderful orange/red fall color. We recently planted 2 desert willows, a vitex, and a redbud in our backyard. All great smaller scale (15-25 ft) trees, very well-adapted to our climate...and all with blooms at some point during the growing season. Very attractive!

Old 03-04-2012, 05:42 PM

29,922 posts, read 34,526,470 times
Go to Neil Sperry's web site and also talk to a local nursery. Plant trees that will last 50-100 years not 10-12.

I would never recommend a Pecan. They are great trees if you have enough land but they make a mess with all the stuff they drop.

There are about 5 quality trees for north TX.

Old 03-05-2012, 10:38 AM

10,121 posts, read 16,716,797 times
We have a peach tree that gives sweet juicy peaches every year. The birds and bugs get a lot of them, but we're going to try being more proactive about it this year.

There are things you can do to discourage pests from getting your whole crop.

We have lots of trees in the back yard, which is on the large side for our neighborhood. The elm gives the best shade, but we also have pecan, and hackberry trees.

Old 03-05-2012, 11:03 AM

9,276 posts, read 5,784,185 times
We have two Chinese Pistache trees in the front yard, I love this tree.

Old 03-31-2012, 08:46 PM

114 posts, read 146,539 times
Pecan trees do very well, but they leave lots of trash behind, and they have a tendency to get bag worms. A person on my street has a nice apple tree, and I managed to get an orange tree to produce (the freeze last year *almost* killed it, but it bounced back.)

Dave

Old 04-01-2012, 09:31 AM

23,599 posts, read 31,143,716 times
I just planted a small fig tree recently. I've been wanting to try growing one for a while now and with our watering restrictions I decided to plant a small 1 gal tree; it will need less water and also if it doesn't survive, I'm only out ten bucks.

I know people who have had excellent luck with fig trees. Peach and plum trees grow well in our climate but are prone to disease and will have to be replaced eventually. They are high maintenance. Some are up to the task, others aren't. If you're willing to put in the time and to know when to pull the tree when (not if) it becomes diseased, you should be fine.

Old 04-01-2012, 11:53 AM

1,592 posts, read 3,024,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Add value too your home by planting quality trees... Live oak, Red Oaks, Cedar Elms.

Water & Fertilize and they will grow at a fairly good rate. Fruit trees don't live long and add no long term value to your home.
Maybe, but the point is that you can't harvest and eat anything from an oak or cedar. Picking your own fruits is fun!

Old 04-01-2012, 04:45 PM

81 posts, read 89,727 times
hello guys, new to this forum. Had an interesting day yesterday digging a pretty big hole, and ended up planting a "flowering plum" tree. I read somewhere it will require 15 gallons of water a week. Is that what you guys are talking about when you say high maintenance? The brochure says the tree could go up to 20 feet tall, and will last about 20 years. Also, I read, don't fertilize for the first year or two.
Do you think this thing will actually produce fruit after how many years?

Old 09-06-2012, 03:29 PM

2 posts, read 2,936 times
Info from ehow.com:
Quote:
Certain fruit trees can thrive in the north central Texas climate. The key to successful fruit growing lies in cultivar selection. When possible, plant at least two types of cultivars, according to Texas A&M University. Region-specific fruit trees include apple (Malus pumila) cultivars Gala, Holland, Fuji and Granny Smith; apricot (Prunus armeniaca) cultivars Hungarian and Moorpark; fig (Ficus carica) cultivars Celeste and Texas Everbearing; peach (Prunus persica) cultivars Sentinal, Loring, Jefferson and Frank; and plum (Prunus salicina) cultivars Bruce, Methley and Morris.
Read more: What Trees to Plant in North Central Texas | eHow.com What Trees to Plant in North Central Texas | eHow.com

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 09-07-2012 at 10:24 PM.. Reason: included quote tags
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or