U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 10:39 AM
rkp

35 posts, read 108,206 times

Advertisements

When we bought a house in Frisco we also wanted a bedroom down (not master) with a full bath so that the elderly visiting parents would have it easy and luckily we found one.Ours is a 4bed/3bath.There are a lot of houses with that kind of floor plan in our neighbourhood, also 1-2 like that in the market.The school is exemplary and its near the Frisco athletic center.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2012, 03:33 PM

12 posts, read 193,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkp View Post
When we bought a house in Frisco we also wanted a bedroom down (not master) with a full bath so that the elderly visiting parents would have it easy and luckily we found one.Ours is a 4bed/3bath.There are a lot of houses with that kind of floor plan in our neighbourhood, also 1-2 like that in the market.The school is exemplary and its near the Frisco athletic center.
Yea, it's a great floorplan for our needs, but at our price range, it's hard to find and many that on the market now are beat-up foreclosures or are just too small for our family- we prefer at least 2400+ sq. ft.

But, hopefully, something will come up, even if we have to go month-to-month on our current lease (nearly $300/mo increase on rent- yikes!).

Old 03-05-2012, 08:59 PM

718 posts, read 1,096,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txgolfer130 View Post
Not sure about other schools, but you have the facts wrong about this one. The school is a public (tuition free) charter school. As far as teachers go, I was concerned as well, however the resume's and history I've seen on the 1st-3rd grade teachers and the director/principle are impressive. They had allotted 850 spots for the K-2 grades but upped that to 1000 spots due to the high demand. I would say a lot of people are excited about it.
I never said that it was a school with tuition , I said that Imagine is a company for profit, big difference. I also really hope that it will be one of the good school , but the company does not have a stellar track especially regarding managing .
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/24/ed...1&pagewanted=2
This is one of the articles that started concern among my friends , they later after more research decided against it as it stands today. If the school can prove itself in a short future ,they may rethink it since for many of them the IB can be the only way to send their children to the universities abroad.
I totally understand that it could be a great addition to the county , we just have to wait and see.

Old 03-06-2012, 08:40 AM

326 posts, read 635,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Souleiado View Post
I never said that it was a school with tuition , I said that Imagine is a company for profit, big difference. I also really hope that it will be one of the good school , but the company does not have a stellar track especially regarding managing .
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/24/ed...1&pagewanted=2
This is one of the articles that started concern among my friends , they later after more research decided against it as it stands today. If the school can prove itself in a short future ,they may rethink it since for many of them the IB can be the only way to send their children to the universities abroad.
I totally understand that it could be a great addition to the county , we just have to wait and see.
If your child is in the early elementary years (as mine is), I might take a shot for a year or two to see if it pans out, as the potential is there for this to be good. If they're in the middle school years, the risk is higher as the need for good schooling at that age becomes much greater (in that the parents can't really make up as easily for poor teaching at the school). If my 1st grader gets accepted, I'll probably enroll her, as it will be much more difficult to get in at a later time if the school turns out well. About 2 years in we'll have a good idea of that if they get the IB accreditation. If they don't, then all bets are off, and it would be back to the regular public school...

Old 03-06-2012, 08:45 AM

326 posts, read 635,780 times
Back on topic, you'll probably get more bang for the buck House wise in McKinney, but the commute is going to be brutal for your husband. I'd really look at what the options are in Garland area, as that district is decent, and you can probably find some housing in your price range...

Old 03-06-2012, 02:16 PM

1,282 posts, read 2,981,351 times
Quote:
I wouldn't count on that school yet. It has been the talk among many residents for the last 2 years and for many of my Europeans friends , it looked like a solution for their children , since it is open to many others cities but their research has shown that the company is shady and not reliable , it had created many scandales in many states since it is mainly a for profit charter company . It looks like in some places , they were pocketing the money and did not provide many quality teachers and reduced the number of kids . I would wait and see.
Sorry, I don't mean to continue boycotting the OP's original question, but this this was brought up just thought I'd mention the following, without going into too many specifics. My husband and I had found the same articles when we were researching this school and the parent charter company...and it was something that we were concerned about as well. We talked our concerns over with the school's administrator, and at the end of the discussion, we felt that the school's contract with Imagine and the specific regulations of this school's charter had the necessary safeguards to prevent such issues occurring with THIS particular school. In addition, all financials, including budgets, expenditures, rental agreements, etc are transparent and publicly available for review, should we have continued concerns in the future. If your friends are still considering the school, but have reservations about the parent charter co., tell them to call the admin and set up a meeting. I am sure she would be happy to discuss it with them

Old 03-06-2012, 02:26 PM

1,282 posts, read 2,981,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeh19468 View Post
If your child is in the early elementary years (as mine is), I might take a shot for a year or two to see if it pans out, as the potential is there for this to be good. If they're in the middle school years, the risk is higher as the need for good schooling at that age becomes much greater (in that the parents can't really make up as easily for poor teaching at the school). If my 1st grader gets accepted, I'll probably enroll her, as it will be much more difficult to get in at a later time if the school turns out well. About 2 years in we'll have a good idea of that if they get the IB accreditation. If they don't, then all bets are off, and it would be back to the regular public school...
That is our approach too. Coming from a Montessori background, the chance for a solid inquiry-based IB education for our kids is just too good of an opportunity to pass up. Our neighborhood elem is fantastic...so it is still a great choice...and it will always be there as a back up. But the charter school will not...as after this year, the chances for admission acceptance will dramatically decrease. So it's much easy to start there, and then go back to the local elem if it doesn't live up to all we are hoping for...then to try to go the other direction. Of course, we have a first grader too (up for a little friendly competition, mike?!? hehehe)...so we can take that chance now. If we had a much older child, it would be a harder decision. Of course, still no guarantee we'll even get in either way...guess we'll find out Sat! Mike, good luck to you and your kiddo!

Old 03-06-2012, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeh19468 View Post
Back on topic, you'll probably get more bang for the buck House wise in McKinney, but the commute is going to be brutal for your husband. I'd really look at what the options are in Garland area, as that district is decent, and you can probably find some housing in your price range...
As we now live in McKinney city limits (but are zoned to Frisco ISD) the commute is ALREADY brutal for my husband, but he leaves early in the morning to avoid traffic. But, considering a school district will provide education for my kids AND my employment, it's important for us to look for an area that meets our needs/wishes.

Moderator cut: see comment

We have decided to continue to look for homes in Frisco ISD and if it gets close to our target date of needing to find a house, we'll consider living within McKinney ISD. However, regardless of where we live I think I would continue to pursue employment with Frisco ISD and bring my kids to the feeder schools of the school I teach at, if we live outside the district.

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 03-06-2012 at 09:24 PM.. Reason: Sorry, Per ToS, new members must have at least 10 posts before posting recommendations.

Old 03-06-2012, 09:32 PM

718 posts, read 1,096,515 times
You should look into 75035 , between the East part of Preston And Coit , above 121 and under Main street . I have seen recently a few houses in your price , most of them were fairly recent and in the 1700 to 2100 sqft range.

Old 03-06-2012, 11:18 PM

Quote:
You should look into 75035 , between the East part of Preston And Coit , above 121 and under Main street . I have seen recently a few houses in your price , most of them were fairly recent and in the 1700 to 2100 sqft range.
We've been looking there, too. Most are too small for our needs or are beat-up foreclosures. But, yes, that area is fantastic. Centennial HS is one of the best in the district and it's a highly competitive housing market in that area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas