U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2012, 11:45 AM

70 posts, read 131,835 times

Advertisements

HI All,

I know there is a small airport in Mckinney. But is there any proposal for building a domestic airport in Mckinney.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2012, 04:01 PM

1,282 posts, read 2,976,793 times
I am not sure what you mean by "domestic airport", since that term is defined as an airport that handles flight only within the country (i.e no customs/ immigration). The airport in Mckinney handles both domestic and international flights, primarily for corporate and private plane use.

If you meant "Are there plans for the airport to offer commercial flights?" (i.e scheduled passenger flights), then the answer is...Yes, that is in the long-term master plan, but is not currently offered.

For more specifics, see...
Welcome to the Collin County Regional Airport (http://www.mckinneytexas.org/airport.aspx?id=17262 - broken link)

Old 03-04-2012, 05:06 PM

2,279 posts, read 3,912,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanoGirl View Post
I am not sure what you mean by "domestic airport", since that term is defined as an airport that handles flight only within the country (i.e no customs/ immigration). The airport in Mckinney handles both domestic and international flights, primarily for corporate and private plane use.

If you meant "Are there plans for the airport to offer commercial flights?" (i.e scheduled passenger flights), then the answer is...Yes, that is in the long-term master plan, but is not currently offered.

For more specifics, see...
Welcome to the Collin County Regional Airport (http://www.mckinneytexas.org/airport.aspx?id=17262 - broken link)
Wow, that could be a game changer for McKinney.

Old 03-05-2012, 08:23 AM

2,206 posts, read 3,792,801 times
Alliance was originally slated for where Stonebridge Ranch is. The Perots got into a pissing contest with other landowners and moved the project to NW Forth Worth.

Eventually the DFW area will need a third airport and it will most likely be in McKinney. The airport has been slowly upgraded over the years and the land needed to upgrade it is now in the hands of the City and Investors.

Old 03-05-2012, 10:44 AM

5,953 posts, read 7,492,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TX75007 View Post
Alliance was originally slated for where Stonebridge Ranch is. The Perots got into a pissing contest with other landowners and moved the project to NW Forth Worth.

Eventually the DFW area will need a third airport and it will most likely be in McKinney. The airport has been slowly upgraded over the years and the land needed to upgrade it is now in the hands of the City and Investors.
Why would the third go in McKinney over Alliance handling passengers? Im new to the area so is it just too far up to Alliance?

Old 03-05-2012, 11:05 AM

813 posts, read 1,766,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
Why would the third go in McKinney over Alliance handling passengers? Im new to the area so is it just too far up to Alliance?
I think it's a Colin County thing versus Northern Tarrant County. Both are exploding with growth, but Colin is a bit more upscale so it may be able to support an airport. Plus Grayson County is growing so the new airport could feed off of that. Just a guess.

Old 03-05-2012, 11:10 AM

813 posts, read 1,766,364 times
Also, isn't Alliance owned by Ross Perot Jr? I think he's a hard bargainer. Just ask Cuban.

If McKinney expands more than it already has, I feel sorry for the residents and golfers at Heritage Ranch in Fairview. Used to play golf there all the time. Nothing like an older Gulfstream taking off on full thrust a few hundred feet above the first hole!

Old 03-05-2012, 07:01 PM

2,206 posts, read 3,792,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
Not enough ridership near Alliance and its very hard to get to Alliance from most of the areas with population growth. DFW-Love-Mckinney form a triangle with the population center of the the area within it.

Alliance is primarily freight. Perot's business strategy is to service other businesses.

Old 03-05-2012, 08:38 PM

9,505 posts, read 19,506,212 times
With AA in bankruptcy and shedding unprofitable routes, and SWA having very specific criteria for adding new airports, I seriously doubt this will happen in the next decade...

Old 03-05-2012, 11:15 PM

2,346 posts, read 5,792,682 times
The vision is for the McKinney airport to become something like White Plains is now for NYC - a hub for corporate flights and a secondary option for commercial flights.

Not only don't I see that happening soon - I don't see it happening EVER.

First, White Plains is barely hanging on as a viable commercial destination. The prices are generally higher than JFK/LGA/EWR, and the service is limited. And that's for New York City, not Dallas-Fort Worth! That doesn't bode well for something similar being successful in McKinney. If commercial service EVER comes to McKinney, it's going to be with service levels and prices similar to what exists in Waco today. That is, service so sparse and high-priced, you might as well drive to DFW Airport.

Second, right now, Addison and Love get the bulk of the corporate and private jets flying in/out of DFW. Addison, in particular, is just as convenient as McKinney for all the HQ operations located in Plano. I'm not sure what would pull that traffic away from Addison. The commercial traffic is going to be a guaranteed money-loser for the airport (they admit as much in their report), so they'll need to significantly boost their private aviation to become a player.

The report itself lists some major reasons that won't happen:

Quote:
DAL will continue to draw based and itinerant aircraft and aeronautical services because of its proximity to downtown Dallas.
GA reaps the benefit of a Part 139 airport security plan at DAL.
ADS will continue to harbor business aircraft due to its Addison location a highly desirable area for businesses that use aircraft.
ADS proximity to Legacy and Millennium Business Parks.
The whole thing smells like a monorail to me.

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 03-05-2012 at 11:31 PM.. Reason: repaired quote
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or