U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2012, 03:11 PM
Mvc

173 posts, read 135,798 times

Advertisements

Golden and lab rescues rescue such dogs from being put down as well, the people that work for those organizations just happen to have an affinity for such breeds. And I don't believe a rescue would have a policy of not adopting out to families with little kids, that's ridiculous. There may be certain dogs that might not do well with young kids, but most labs and goldens love and do well with kids, I think OP is misinformed on that one, they do it on a case by case basis regarding kids, other dogs, cats, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2012, 03:28 PM

326 posts, read 637,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mvc View Post
Golden and lab rescues rescue such dogs from being put down as well, the people that work for those organizations just happen to have an affinity for such breeds. And I don't believe a rescue would have a policy of not adopting out to families with little kids, that's ridiculous. There may be certain dogs that might not do well with young kids, but most labs and goldens love and do well with kids, I think OP is misinformed on that one, they do it on a case by case basis regarding kids, other dogs, cats, etc.
Agreed. Our lab mix pup came from a local rescue organization, and they generally will note if the dog doesn't do well with children or other pets, but won't avoid adoptions by families with young kids (unless they come for a visit and the kids are absolute terrors and the dog's cowering from them, of course...)

Definitely stay away from the backyard breeders, way too many unknowns there. Younger rescues would be a terrific way to go, no shortage of supply unfortunately....

Old 03-06-2012, 03:39 PM

9,331 posts, read 5,828,604 times
Mutts are great! A friend of a friend gave us our Golden. She looked and acted just like a Golden, but she wasn't 100%. Her mom was a registered Golden, but the father was a Golden and Irish Setter mix. She lived to a ripe old age of 14 & 1/2 years. Best darn dog we ever had, boy do we miss her

Old 03-06-2012, 06:37 PM

9,524 posts, read 19,597,123 times
I also can't believe a golden rescue won't adopt to families with kids under 5. Goldenseal are awesome family dogs, and I would think the rescue would encourage their dogs to be placed with a young family. We had a golden when I was a kids, and she was such a wonderful dog.

Old 03-06-2012, 08:24 PM

509 posts, read 1,055,064 times
Maybe there might be other families out there who can speak with the same experience but I can tell you that there are DEFINITELY rescues out there who do not let families with young children adopt their dogs.
Many years ago we were like a Petsmart or one of those stores and outside they had some rescue with their dogs trying to get them adopted. Our experience was awful. They treated us like if we were adopting actual human children. At least it almost seemed like that to me. We had to show them our ID before we could even touch the dog and once they found out that we had small children (under 5) they said nope, sorry, can't adopt to you. Their reasoning was that children are too unpredictable. My husband's cousin and his wife adopted a rescued dog and I believe I remember that they were asked if they had children (which they didn't at the time) so they had a very easy adoption.
So as hard as it is to believe, there ARE rescues out there who will NOT adopt to a family with small children. Now that our youngest kids are 7, we did adopt a Great Pyrenees from a rescue and had a great experience but really, our experience with, I believe it was SPCA, was awful.

Old 03-06-2012, 09:55 PM

2,279 posts, read 3,924,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT3x View Post
How about you go to the Dallas pound and get a mutt who is about to be killed?
Bologna..There is nothing wrong with supporting a good local breeder who has more than likely poured their life into the breed. It's just as noble, if not more, to support a responsible breeder.

Adopting a dog is not all it's cracked up to be for some, and not advice that should be given lightly. Far too many people, who probably aren't even qualified to own a dog, get talked into taking a dog that from a shelter that will often times present them with challenges. Alot of them end up right back at the shelter quite honestly.

My vote goes to supporting breeders, not backyarders..Breeders whos dogs are most likely not cheap because they have invested in the breed the way it supposed to be done.

So while people are thanking shelters, thank a responsible breeder as well they are just as, if not more, important.

Old 03-06-2012, 10:04 PM

5,978 posts, read 7,537,941 times
I have a 5 pound full grown dog who thinks she is a golden but in fact is a Bolonka. Russian Bichon, a dog that hasnt been in bred so has a long life expectancy and is the most loving dog you can imagine. She acts like a big dog but tucks her self in bed at night by jumping in her carryon pet carrier. A wonderful dog who poops like a 5 pounder but has the heart of a big dog. She is black all over and doesnt shed and loves all people but is as independent as any dog you might imagine. Great pets, good luck with your dog search...I hope what you find makes you half as happy as mine makes me...... dogs are mans best friend! no doubt

Old 03-07-2012, 08:01 PM

931 posts, read 1,750,703 times
I have a Golden I rescued and one that I paid for. They are great dogs and are really good companions. They are smart and fairly easy to train. They are very social and I think its important to have 2 dogs at same time. Of course they don't have to be the same breed but I really do prefer our Goldens over other dogs.

Old 03-08-2012, 08:15 AM

205 posts, read 409,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
There definitely are a lot of backyard breeders around here. DO NOT get your dog from one of them! So many times, those dogs develop serious problems later on due to inbreeding or other factors.

That being said, I have a golden. If your heart is set on one, they are wonderful dogs. A registered golden from a reputable breeder will run you at least $600 (and usually about $700-800.) If it's any cheaper than that, you're buying from a puppy mill.

If you are not set on a golden though... I would suggest going to the pound to see what is available. The most resilient dogs out there in terms of disease, skin ailments, and hereditary problems tend to be mutts.

Good luck!

Yes we have run into several of those backyard breeders! After adopting a dog from the shelter who was aggressive we are definately doing our homework. Your golden is beautiful, where did you get him?

Old 03-08-2012, 08:20 AM

205 posts, read 409,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT3x View Post
How about you go to the Dallas pound and get a mutt who is about to be killed?

No thanks, we have been down that road several times. We adopted a lab mix from the shelter last year and had to turn him back in because he was extremely aggressive. They told us a different story at the humane society. He would run after people barking and trying to bite them. We have 3 kids and he tried snapping at one of them, always growled if you took his food away, and when people would come over he would starting chasing them in the house barking and growling at them.
Although it may work for some people adopting dogs that they know no history about it did not work for us, with young kids and after doing a lot of researching and talking to people who own goldens we feel a golden would be the best bet for our family
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas