Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2012, 10:29 AM

653 posts, read 945,762 times

Advertisements

Google says swimming (and boats with large engines) aren't allowed in White Rock Lake, yet I've seen several photos of dogs swimming in the lake.

Can someone explain this? I searched the forum, but didn't find an answer.

Thanks!

Added:
This site tells about the history of the swimming ban.
http://www.whiterocklake.org/?page_id=525

I don't want to swim in the lake (I'm a pool or ocean girl). I'm just trying to figure out if the water is truly safe for my dog.

Last edited by dclamb3; 03-06-2012 at 10:38 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2012, 12:02 PM

350 posts, read 867,729 times
It'll survive.

Old 03-06-2012, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT3x View Post
It'll survive.
Perhaps, depending on the reason humans aren't allowed in the water (hence, my question - as something not safe for a full grown adult could kill a 5lb dog). Perhaps dogs aren't allowed in the water either, and the ones I saw photos of didn't belong in the water. I don't know that either.

Until I know why there's a swimming ban on the lake (racism from decades ago doesn't seem to be a reason to not allow humans to swim in it now),to me, there seems to be another reason I don't know about :|.

I'd love to let the pups in the lake, though, but only if it's safe (since Dallas clearly doesn't have an ocean they can swim in).

Old 03-06-2012, 12:56 PM

2,002 posts, read 4,584,247 times
Well, I live near White Rock Lake. When I just relocated I allowed my dogs to go for swims. Our vet said that it was OK but she gave them extra shots (the water is kind of nasty to be honest). And finally I decided not to let them swim there anymore. There are tons of hooks and fishing stuff around that used to hurt their paws anyway.

Old 03-06-2012, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFWgal View Post
Well, I live near White Rock Lake. When I just relocated I allowed my dogs to go for swims. Our vet said that it was OK but she gave them extra shots (the water is kind of nasty to be honest). And finally I decided not to let them swim there anymore. There are tons of hooks and fishing stuff around that used to hurt their paws anyway.
Enough said. They're not going in. Thanks!

BTW, I hope their little paws are better.

Old 03-06-2012, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dclamb3 View Post
Enough said. They're not going in. Thanks!

BTW, I hope their little paws are better.
Thanks! Yes, they are alright. It was a few years ago.

Well, as a consolation prize, there are nice dog parks around WRL for your furry baby to play.

I was going to suggest Loyd Park because of the swimming area but no pets are allowed
Lynn Creek Park has another swimming area and it doesn't seem to have restrictions

Old 03-06-2012, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Thanks! Yes, they are alright. It was a few years ago.

Well, as a consolation prize, there are nice dog parks around WRL for your furry baby to play.
Oh, good. Can't have hurt paws.

Is there more than one dog park around WRL?! I just ran across the WRL Dog Park today, when I was looking into swimming in the lake, but is there another one, too?!

The internet says the path around WRL is 9 miles long. With my knee, there is no way I will ever be walking all that. If you have any WRL doggie hot spots, do share!

Our local park has a boat load of pups, but only in one tiny pocket, and only Sunday mornings at 7am. If you didn't know to go then (who would guess to go then?), you'd never see them. lol

Thanks for adding that link! Too bad no swimming allowed. :| My boy's name is Malibu, and he got it because, unlike his sister, he loves to swim. I wonder where the other water-loving Dallas dogs go. Miami, perhaps. lol

Old 03-06-2012, 01:49 PM

Well, not sure. I've been there just a few times --the girls get way too excited around other doggies-- and I saw the regular dog park and another fenced area that's separated, with bigger dogs off leash swimming, playing with balls, etc. I don't know if that's another space or what, I just assumed. Does anyone know?

So Sunday mornings at 7 for pups to play? Interesting. I wouldn't have guessed either LOL

I don't know about other swimming spots. I just know of pet friendly Half Price Books, White Rock Lake Cafe, and places like that.

Old 03-06-2012, 01:50 PM

1,245 posts, read 3,434,786 times
Generally vets will recommend shots for dogs that regularly swim. Water - no matter how clean, has different parasites and bacteria than land. I would not take that as a specific reflection on the quality of the water at WRL. The water is perfectly fine there. WHich is why the fish can be eaten. Swimming is not allowed for a variety of reasons - most of which boil down to, to avoid lawsuits the city would have to doe more maintenance, provide lifeguards, etc and we can't even keep our pools going. As long as swimming is illegal the cities CYA box is ticked.

If the water is safe enough for you and I to eat things that have lived their whole life in it, it is perfectly safe for dogs. My sister is a vet tech and her boss lets her dogs swim in WRL all the time. As for the hooks and fishing gear, that is a separate concern, but is much the same as any other lake. Use your own judgement.

Old 03-06-2012, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Well, not sure. I've been there just a few times --the girls get way too excited around other doggies-- and I saw the regular dog park and another fenced area that's separated, with bigger dogs off leash swimming, playing with balls, etc. I don't know if that's another space or what, I just assumed. Does anyone know?

So Sunday mornings at 7 for pups to play? Interesting. I wouldn't have guessed either LOL

I don't know about other swimming places. I just know of pet friendly Half Price Books, White Rock Lake Cafe, and places like that.
Good tips! I noted those, too. Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas