U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 08:42 PM

7 posts, read 43,355 times

Advertisements

what is the best way to select a home inspector ? we are about to sign a sales contract for a new home construction and as first time home buyers ,have limited information about the process . should we take recommendation from the Realtor for the home inspector ? any opinions ???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2012, 09:12 PM

30,039 posts, read 34,742,704 times
Yes, listen to your Realtor. Why would they not want it to go well ? The builder will fix whatever problems are found and it's not like you are negotiating repair issues.

As an agent I only want the very best inspectors working for my clients. The time to find a problem is before you close on a home, not after. Especially new construction.

Old 03-06-2012, 09:18 AM

3,169 posts, read 4,844,214 times
Honestly, it would depend on how honest your realtor is...personally I would find my own home inspector.

However helpful or nice they may be, the primary goal of a realtor's job is to close a deal. Since a bad inspection can do the absolute opposite, I would find someone that is independent of the realtor so they can be completely objective.

Ironically I was about to post asking for recommendations from here because we are in the same situation!

Old 03-06-2012, 09:19 AM

46 posts, read 62,029 times
If I were you, I WOULD NOT go with the one that realtor recommends. Being familiar with the industry, an independent inspector will give you an impartial inspection.

Some inspectors will not give an honest report because if they cost the realtor a sale, the realtor may find another inspector to give future work to.

I know...it's sad. But that is the way it is!

Old 03-06-2012, 09:28 AM

30,039 posts, read 34,742,704 times
Not sure where you guys get your ideas on a Realtor and their recommended inspectors but in almost all cases you are totally wrong.

We agents want only the best inspectors who are very complete in their inspections. It saves us lawsuits, we want your referrals and if you don't buy the home we know you'll buy another.

You'll trust a stranger on the internet but you don't trust the one person you should trust the most.

Old 03-06-2012, 09:31 AM

813 posts, read 1,774,228 times
I've used Realtor recommended inspectors and never had a problem. I guess it depends on how well you trust your Realtor?
In this Internet age, it's too easy to post a review of any business that hoses you so I think most everyone is trying to clean up their act.

Old 03-06-2012, 10:09 AM

7 posts, read 43,355 times
Thank you all for your opinions and comments . I think we would go with a independent home inspector .

Old 03-06-2012, 11:28 AM

3,169 posts, read 4,844,214 times
Quote:
We agents want only the best inspectors who are very complete in their inspections. It saves us lawsuits, we want your referrals and if you don't buy the home we know you'll buy another.
In our case, we might not, so that isn't always true. I'm not saying Realtors are awful people and always dishonest, I just prefer not to have any doubts.

Old 03-06-2012, 01:19 PM

10,249 posts, read 16,809,320 times
I wish I had used an independently located inspector. Something potentially very expensive to fix down the road was not caught. We are friendly with our realtors and live in the same neighborhood, and I'd feel better about trusting them with a future transaction if it had been our own inspector that didn't catch the problem, not an inspector that comes to their Christmas parties.

I'm not saying they did wrong.. but I have that smidgeon of doubt.

Old 03-06-2012, 01:31 PM

813 posts, read 1,774,228 times
When I was in the mortgage business years ago, I worked hard to get Realtor referrals. One Realtor told me she would only recommend me along with 2 others, because if she only recommended me and I screwed up she might be held liable and get sued. If she gave my name and 2 others the buyer would make the choice so she would be off the hook.
Welcome to land o' lawyer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or