U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 09:07 AM

119 posts, read 287,372 times

Advertisements

Bed bugs. Nasty things. Pretty much every building in NYC has them, but now the vile beasties are trending upward here too. It's only a matter of time.

It's time to get proactive. I'm shopping for a high-rise condo unit and figure if I'm going to be living in a shared building, I might as well erect the battlements as soon as possible. Like redoing the flooring with sustainable 21st-century materials which are bedbug resistant. Just in case, y'know? Maybe bamboo or cork.

Yeesh. I'm not paranoid, but I don't like having to think about this new (old) global problem. Anyone else... concerned? A little?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2012, 09:12 AM

6,268 posts, read 12,105,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRedTelephone View Post
Bed bugs. Nasty things. Pretty much every building in NYC has them, but now the vile beasties are trending upward here too. It's only a matter of time.

It's time to get proactive. I'm shopping for a high-rise condo unit and figure if I'm going to be living in a shared building, I might as well erect the battlements as soon as possible. Like redoing the flooring with sustainable 21st-century materials which are bedbug resistant. Just in case, y'know? Maybe bamboo or cork.

Yeesh. I'm not paranoid, but I don't like having to think about this new (old) global problem. Anyone else... concerned? A little?
On my list of concerns, bed bugs rank... pretty darn low. I have a house in the suburbs though, so it's not the same situation you would be in. I know that one thing that helps immensely is to get a memory foam mattress. They have a solid core, so there's no place for bed bugs to live and breed (at least, not in the mattress.)

As far as redoing the floor... that's not going to make any difference, unless you buy a place with shag carpeting!

Old 03-07-2012, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
As far as redoing the floor... that's not going to make any difference, unless you buy a place with shag carpeting!
Ha! Well, I wouldn't be redoing the floor just for bedbug prevention (gee, that WOULD be super paranoid). Was just thinking ahead a little bit since I'll likely be replacing carpet anyway.

Old 03-07-2012, 11:21 AM

2,279 posts, read 3,912,505 times
Quote:

Get a latex mattress, problem solved. I have a 100% Tallalay Latex mattress from top to bottom, it's the greatest thing you will ever sleep on, and bugs can't live in it.

Old 03-07-2012, 11:26 AM

10,119 posts, read 16,716,797 times
Quote:
Like redoing the flooring with sustainable 21st-century materials which are bedbug resistant. Just in case, y'know? Maybe bamboo or cork.
The most sustainable choice would be keeping the existing floor!

Old 03-07-2012, 11:40 AM

1,092 posts, read 916,924 times
Default What was that you took?

Quote:

I'm not paranoid, but I don't like having to think about this new (old) global problem. Anyone else... concerned? A little?
You are paranoid, and by the way, every building in NYC does NOT have bed bugs!

Old 03-07-2012, 11:43 AM

2,206 posts, read 3,792,801 times
Quote:

Already here. I guess you do not stay in hotels much.

Bed Bug Registry - Check Apartments and Hotels Across North America

Nothing a little DDT sprayed on walls can't fix.

Old 03-07-2012, 11:46 AM

813 posts, read 1,766,364 times
Default Bed bugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaconowner View Post
You are paranoid, and by the way, every building in NYC does NOT have bed bugs!
Cut red some slack....

Bed Bugs Cases Explode To Epidemic Scale In NYC - WPIX

Old 03-07-2012, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggolf View Post
Cheers ggolf. I come from an ancient time in the nineteen hundred and seventies when computers made squeaky phone noises and a certain level of common nerd-civility was de rigueur. But I digress...

Bedbugs are back in Dallas area, and biting into budgets | Dallas-Fort Worth Communities - News for Dallas, Texas - The Dallas Morning News

Old 03-07-2012, 01:00 PM

3,029 posts, read 6,909,639 times
I think people in the Dallas area have to worry more about our extremely mild winter, which will encourage just about every bug known to man this spring and summer. Our biggest problem is ants and not fire ants; those are easy to eliminate. It's those tiny little ants that seem to come from nowhere (can't ever find a nest), and they creep into the weep holes of your home. Nothing seems to kill them. Treat your lawns and homes early, folks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas