U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-09-2012, 06:45 AM
 
1,637 posts, read 3,475,796 times
Reputation: 1020

Advertisements

Don't do it. Go to Cal State Channel Islands and live in the apartments "on campus".

from my former front door:





But if you must move here, don't commute from Lewisville to downtown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-09-2012, 06:50 AM
 
Location: Simmering in DFW
6,947 posts, read 18,685,568 times
Reputation: 7182
So, whoever said the area around VR mall is "sketchy" is just so wrong. Its a fine area and if you don't mind the commute there's nothing wrong with the area AT ALL....the apartments in the area are new and well maintained, it has a very suburban vibe if you like that kind of tempo! However, I think you can do better as far as commute. Irving in zip codes 75039 and 75063 is nice and if you look hard you can find something in your budget. There's a great bus and rail commuter hub so you can either drive downtown (about 20 minutes) or drive to the DART parking lot and commute in ... a great option!

Look on Craigslist, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-09-2012, 07:03 AM
 
Location: DFW - Coppell / Las Colinas
29,920 posts, read 34,526,470 times
Reputation: 35918
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirl View Post
So, whoever said the area around VR mall is "sketchy" is just so wrong. Its a fine area and if you don't mind the commute there's nothing wrong with the area AT ALL....the apartments in the area are new and well maintained, it has a very suburban vibe if you like that kind of tempo! However, I think you can do better as far as commute. Irving in zip codes 75039 and 75063 is nice and if you look hard you can find something in your budget. There's a great bus and rail commuter hub so you can either drive downtown (about 20 minutes) or drive to the DART parking lot and commute in ... a great option! .
I agree Squirl... this says what I was saying with better detail.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-09-2012, 07:29 AM
 
11,671 posts, read 21,236,098 times
Reputation: 10057
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirl View Post
So, whoever said the area around VR mall is "sketchy" is just so wrong. Its a fine area and if you don't mind the commute there's nothing wrong with the area AT ALL....the apartments in the area are new and well maintained, it has a very suburban vibe if you like that kind of tempo! However, I think you can do better as far as commute. Irving in zip codes 75039 and 75063 is nice and if you look hard you can find something in your budget. There's a great bus and rail commuter hub so you can either drive downtown (about 20 minutes) or drive to the DART parking lot and commute in ... a great option!

Look on Craigslist, too.
I am the one who said "sketchy" and I was refering to the mall itself, after dark, not the area around the mall. The mall's evening and and weekend crowd IS sketchy and I know there are often security incidents in & immediately outside (parking lot) the mall at those times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-09-2012, 07:59 AM
 
Location: Simmering in DFW
6,947 posts, read 18,685,568 times
Reputation: 7182
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
I am the one who said "sketchy" and I was refering to the mall itself, after dark, not the area around the mall. The mall's evening and and weekend crowd IS sketchy and I know there are often security incidents in & immediately outside (parking lot) the mall at those times.
Distinction noted Unfortunately, this is the case for just about ALL malls... even my favorite mall, Northpark, has many security incidents. Malls attract groups of kids, and preditors of all kinds. I lost my 3 year old in Northpark mall over 30 years ago and to this day It was one of the most traumatic incidents in my life!! Would be interesting to obtain a comparison of crimes broken down by DFW mall..... ok, I am getting off topic
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-09-2012, 08:21 AM
 
Location: Willowbend/Houston
13,403 posts, read 20,282,670 times
Reputation: 10181
As someone who has already made the move to Dallas from LA, let me say welcome!

Lewisville isnt a bad place, but the commute to downtown Dallas would be tough.

However, I disagree with the suggestions of the Village Apartments. If your looking for a quite place to call home, that isnt it. There are however some reasonably priced apartments in North Dallas, Richardson, Carrollton, Addison, or South Plano where the commute isnt that bad. Given that you are coming from LA, nothing is going to see that bad in the way of a commute. Also, if you live in Plano, Richardson, or Carrollton, you can take the DART train downtown and never have to worry about traffic.

Welcome to Texas! If you come with an open mind, its a really great place for a Californian!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-09-2012, 09:06 AM
 
44 posts, read 101,517 times
Reputation: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
I am the one who said "sketchy" and I was refering to the mall itself, after dark, not the area around the mall. The mall's evening and and weekend crowd IS sketchy and I know there are often security incidents in & immediately outside (parking lot) the mall at those times.
Agree 100%, that area is like one gigantic WalMart, not that there's anything wrong with that, but it's chain restaurant, cheap store central. The traffic is crazy and I wouldn't exactly call that area 'quiet'. So many nicer, quieter, safer, classier areas closer to downtown... I'm not sure why you would ever choose Lewisville especially coming from LA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-09-2012, 09:20 AM
 
Location: Willowbend/Houston
13,403 posts, read 20,282,670 times
Reputation: 10181
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fawnee View Post
Agree 100%, that area is like one gigantic WalMart, not that there's anything wrong with that, but it's chain restaurant, cheap store central. The traffic is crazy and I wouldn't exactly call that area 'quiet'. So many nicer, quieter, safer, classier areas closer to downtown... I'm not sure why you would ever choose Lewisville especially coming from LA.
There are some very nice areas of Lewisville. Castle Hills is one. Also the area closer to Flower Mound is nice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-10-2012, 09:25 PM
 
12 posts, read 30,325 times
Reputation: 10
I live in Crescent Cove, an older apartment next to the mini lakes. I pay $690 including washer/dryer for a 700 sq ft 1 bed room apt. I picked this area because of convenience. It has all the retails, food, shops, freeway within walking distance and the lake is a bonus. Although I never felt unsafe but because there are alot of apt around I could see a single female feeling unsafe living here. But I don't know why OP would want to live here if they work in Downtown. I work in Denton so i live here to be half way to downtown and work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-11-2012, 01:50 AM
 
105 posts, read 249,332 times
Reputation: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirl
So, whoever said the area around VR mall is "sketchy" is just so wrong. Its a fine area and if you don't mind the commute there's nothing wrong with the area AT ALL....the apartments in the area are new and well maintained, it has a very suburban vibe if you like that kind of tempo! However, I think you can do better as far as commute. Irving in zip codes 75039 and 75063 is nice and if you look hard you can find something in your budget. There's a great bus and rail commuter hub so you can either drive downtown (about 20 minutes) or drive to the DART parking lot and commute in ... a great option!

Look on Craigslist, too.
^This. I totally agree with this. (Well, except for the 'look on Craigslist' part -- Craigslist?! Ugh. We tried that when looking for my son's apartment. It was an irritating, frustrating, totally spammed-out experience. We found it to be utterly useless in the apartment search! Impossible to separate the wheat from the chaff.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top