U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-08-2012, 10:07 PM
 
Location: Lewisville, TX
13 posts, read 24,336 times
Reputation: 44

Advertisements

Hello all, I currently reside in Los Angeles Ca and will be moving to Texas next month for school. I've never been to Texas and unfortunately I will not have time to visit before the move. I have been searching for apartment rentals in the Dallas area and have yet to find a place to live. I recently came across some apartments in Lewisville, TX near Vista Ridge Mall and I wanted to know if anyone out there is familiar with the area. Can you tell me if this is a safe, nice and clean area to live in?

I will be moving out there with my husband. I am not looking for night life but simply a nice quiet place to come home to after a long day of work or school. I will be attending school in Downtown Dallas. I know Lewisville is not exactly down the street from Downtown Dallas. I mapped it out in Google Maps and the location was roughly 20 miles. I don't mind the commute nor traffic being that I am from Los Angeles but I wanted to know from someone out there just how bad the commute really is? Any feedback would be highly appreciated. If not, Lewisville do you guys suggest I look elsewhere for housing? Our budget is up to 1000 and would prefer a two bedroom. Thanks in advance for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-09-2012, 12:11 AM
 
Location: Houston, Texas
2,172 posts, read 4,251,413 times
Reputation: 2429
I wouldn't make that commute, not when there are so many better options. Have you looked into The Village, a large group of apartments a few miles north of downtown off Central Expressway? Lots of people new to the area live there as it's relatively close to a lot of things -- Uptown, downtown, NorthPark Mall, Knox-Henderson area, SMU, the Katy Trail, Central Market -- that you might want to make use of. And you can find 2 bedroom apartments that range from over $900 to around $1200.

The Village Apartments
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-09-2012, 04:31 AM
 
Location: Grapevine, Texas
9,511 posts, read 19,520,907 times
Reputation: 6633
I agree with TrueDat. Leswisville to downtown on a daily basis will be horrible. Traffic can be so unpredictable, so your commute might be 30 minutes one day and an hour the next. You will also have to pay for parking downtown, which can be $7-10 per day. I highly recommend the Village, especially since you can jump on the DART rail and be downtown in 20 minutes and not have to pay for parking!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-09-2012, 04:38 AM
 
Location: North Texas
23,611 posts, read 31,169,837 times
Reputation: 26678
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
I agree with TrueDat. Leswisville to downtown on a daily basis will be horrible. Traffic can be so unpredictable, so your commute might be 30 minutes one day and an hour the next. You will also have to pay for parking downtown, which can be $7-10 per day. I highly recommend the Village, especially since you can jump on the DART rail and be downtown in 20 minutes and not have to pay for parking!
This x 1000000
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-09-2012, 04:54 AM
 
Location: Dallas
578 posts, read 1,211,225 times
Reputation: 636
We had looked into The Village for my parents while they were deciding to buy or rent. $1000 gets you a 2-bedroom in their oldest buildings. We toured several available units and they were small, cramped and musty. You have to bump your budget to at least $1250+ to get into the nicer units.

I agree, though, it is a great community with an awesome location!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-09-2012, 05:34 AM
 
11,679 posts, read 21,250,268 times
Reputation: 10074
Quote:
Originally Posted by mami2emily View Post
We had looked into The Village for my parents while they were deciding to buy or rent. $1000 gets you a 2-bedroom in their oldest buildings. We toured several available units and they were small, cramped and musty. You have to bump your budget to at least $1250+ to get into the nicer units.

I agree, though, it is a great community with an awesome location!
If the Village won't work for $1,000, then I know some of the apartments just south of there in 7(206 will. Check Craig's List and look search the zip. Street names are Amesbury, University, Sandhurst, etc. Same location benefits as The Village, just fewer "frills" like grounds, multiple pools, etc.


IMO, the Vista Ridge Mall can be a little sketchy after dark. I-35 is probably THE single worst highway to have to commute on in the DFW area. Just because you're used to traffic in LA doesn't mean you should put up with it here. Plus, with a 50-60 mile daily commute @ gas prices already inching towards $4/gallon, the daily commute alone is going to cost $8-10/day. Might as well put $150 of the $200+ monthly gas tab into a closer apartment wher you can take DART if you like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-09-2012, 05:44 AM
 
Location: DFW - Coppell / Las Colinas
29,949 posts, read 34,553,963 times
Reputation: 35949
The area and apartments around VR Mall are very nice and it's a great area. I assume if you're a student you won't always be driving during work rush hour.

If you're driving "Student" hours I disagree with all the advice about the horrible traffic. I go up and down I-35 all day and it travels well except when it's overloaded during rush hours.

Vista Ridge Mall area is nice, as safe as any place and probably less expensive.

There are also some nice apartments in Coppell off of Beltline that would be closer and in an extremely nice area. Try St Marin and several others (MacArthur at Beltline). Also shop around the Las Colinas area of Irving... great location and if you shop hard you might find something in your price. Another area would be off Preston Road in Plano.

What might help is an Apartment Locator who knows the area better. DM me if you need a referral.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-09-2012, 05:59 AM
 
Location: plano
5,955 posts, read 7,500,166 times
Reputation: 5012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
The area and apartments around VR Mall are very nice and it's a great area. I assume if you're a student you won't always be driving during work rush hour.

If you're driving "Student" hours I disagree with all the advice about the horrible traffic. I go up and down I-35 all day and it travels well except when it's overloaded during rush hours.

Vista Ridge Mall area is nice, as safe as any place and probably less expensive.

There are also some nice apartments in Coppell off of Beltline that would be closer and in an extremely nice area. Try St Marin and several others (MacArthur at Beltline). Also shop around the Las Colinas area of Irving... great location and if you shop hard you might find something in your price. Another area would be off Preston Road in Plano.

What might help is an Apartment Locator who knows the area better. DM me if you need a referral.
Wont Irving have a rail option to downtown once the Orange line is finished? Its accessible from Las Colinas but also have other stations near the airport I believe as well as near PGBT
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-09-2012, 06:22 AM
 
7,292 posts, read 8,128,081 times
Reputation: 5381
Lewisville to DTD is bad for various reasons:

A. 635 is being rebuilt
2. 35 from about Walnut Hill to 635 is bring reworked right now
d. 35 from downtown to Denton will be totally reworked starting sometime in the next couple or three years
*. It's a long way

I wouldn't even consider that plan unless hubby will work in Denton or Gainville or similar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-09-2012, 06:29 AM
 
Location: DFW - Coppell / Las Colinas
29,949 posts, read 34,553,963 times
Reputation: 35949
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
Wont Irving have a rail option to downtown once the Orange line is finished? Its accessible from Las Colinas but also have other stations near the airport I believe as well as near PGBT
Yes, It's scheduled to open in the next few months. Good point.

There are many apartments along the Orange line in LC. They may be a little out of OP's price range but worth a check
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top