U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2012, 10:13 AM

653 posts, read 708,018 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ufcrules1 View Post
It's possible you looked like someone she and whoever she was sending the photo to knew. Not something I would worry about to be honest. You are over reacting BIG TIME.

The south is nothing like where you came from. You don't have to always look at things in multiple different angles to try to figure out what someone is thinking or doing here.

I understand the way you think because I came from a completely different area too (Maryland), and people are much more calculated there.

I have lived in CH's for years and I can tell you it's not a gossipy place at all. Homes range from 300k here up to millions of dollars. It's actually a very diverse place. Sure, you have rich snobby people here, but you also have a TON of people who are down to earth and have stretched their money just to get in here.

This is a tremendous place to live and raise a family.
I agree that the OP is overreacting.

However, I, too, am from MD (born and raised, and have lived everywhere from East at MD's ocean, to West in MD's foothills, to Central in MD's largest city, to South just outside of our nation's capitol) and disagree that MD is more calculating (or even calculating at all). However, to discuss it further would be another thread.

CH sounds like a lovely place, and I think the OP should take the plunge and not give it another thought.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2012, 05:47 PM

1,129 posts, read 2,297,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dclamb3 View Post
I agree that the OP is overreacting.

However, I, too, am from MD (born and raised, and have lived everywhere from East at MD's ocean, to West in MD's foothills, to Central in MD's largest city, to South just outside of our nation's capitol) and disagree that MD is more calculating (or even calculating at all). However, to discuss it further would be another thread.

CH sounds like a lovely place, and I think the OP should take the plunge and not give it another thought.

Good luck!
Well, I grew up in the south and then moved to Maryland and lived there for 9 years and then moved back down to the south. People are certainly more cold and calculating in MD.

You wouldn't notice it if you were born and raised there. Everything you saw around you seemed normal because that is what you always knew.

Old 03-09-2012, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beyaned View Post
Great, I really don't think I overreacted (obviously since I am still strongly considering CH!) I suppose my question was really to see if this type of behavior was surprising to people that lived in the neighborhood.
Think about what you are saying for a second. I explained to you very clearly why that person could have taken a picture of you. I have taken pictures of someone who I thought looked familiar and sent it to my wife. I don't think the person saw me do it though.

Here is a question for you. Please explain why you think that girl took a picture of you. Then explain why you hurried up and left the restaurant.

What were you worried about? It's not like it was some serial killer snapping a bunch of photos of you and was stalking you or something. Seriously.

Just explain where you are coming from so we can all understand.

Old 03-09-2012, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beyaned View Post
I actually saw the photo of me going out on the text message, I was sitting at a high table and she was below be taking a photo over her shoulder...I obviously don't want to stereotype the whole neighborhood based on one experience. It just made me uncomfortable, and wonder if possibly the sighting of a new person in the community was news that she needed to share? Who knows?
Sighting of a new person in the neighborhood? lol... let me explain something to you. This neighborhood has 2600 homes and over 8000 people living in it. It's not like there are 20 homes here and we all know each other or something.

You are 100% overreacting.

Old 03-09-2012, 06:11 PM

653 posts, read 708,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ufcrules1 View Post
Well, I grew up in the south and then moved to Maryland and lived there for 9 years and then moved back down to the south. People are certainly more cold and calculating in MD.

You wouldn't notice it if you were born and raised there. Everything you saw around you seemed normal because that is what you always knew.
I surely agree that people are more warm in the south. Positively (even when compared to the friendly, down to earth folks in Baltimore - which so many people move here and comment how nice everyone is).

But I don't think people in Maryland are calculating, but perhaps our definitions differ. I can think of another state I would say that about, though.

Actually, now that I think about it, there is one small part of MD I would say that about, but only to a certain extent, and it, of course, revolves around politics.

Old 03-09-2012, 07:48 PM

2,279 posts, read 3,941,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dclamb3 View Post
I surely agree that people are more warm in the south. Positively (even when compared to the friendly, down to earth folks in Baltimore - which so many people move here and comment how nice everyone is).

But I don't think people in Maryland are calculating, but perhaps our definitions differ. I can think of another state I would say that about, though.

Actually, now that I think about it, there is one small part of MD I would say that about, but only to a certain extent, and it, of course, revolves around politics.
People are people where ever you go, slight variations in how they interact. Not like we're a different species from one place to the next.

Can't speak for MD, but people in the NE are cold, and I am one of them, I admit it. Doesn't mean I don't like to meet new folks, we're just a little more guarded.

First time I ever visited Texas I struck up a conversation with manager of this neat hamburger joint and he came out from behind the counter, sat with me spent time to talk etc. When I look back on that I remember my reaction to it, which was something along the lines of, "this is weird, is this guy going to kidnap me or something"..I later realized, after many more interactions with folks down there, he was just being a polite. People in MA generally are NOT like that.

Cold, impolite, not outgoing etc..Yeah, I can be all of those things. I am from the northeast, proud of it. Doesn't mean I don't love the folks down there though.

IN regards to the OP comment..I vote overreacting. I went to those shops with my wife, walked around met people etc..Didn't get any weird vibes from anyone, quite the opposite actually.

Last edited by skids929; 03-09-2012 at 08:01 PM..

Old 03-10-2012, 08:46 AM

27,842 posts, read 45,471,326 times
take it from someone whose daughter was raised in DFW area and has moved to west coast of FL--prime tourist/retiree country populated with vast quantities of people (older people too) from back East--
they are the rudest, more self-centered, least friendly people I come in contact with...
She and her husband who is from MS via Atlanta hate the winter season when most of the Eastern snowbirds are in the area staying at their second homes...

The woman could have been taking photo like people suggested of your hair style, your clothing, the wall behind you, the drapes/window coverings, your earrings--
who knows
what she wasn't planning on doing was kidnapping you

IF she was brazen enough to snap that photo is full view of you, then you certainly had the option/reason to ask her why..

Maybe she got a new phone and was trying it out--

I have wonderful friend who grew up in rural NY state--lived in NYC before transferring here years ago with her husband's job...She is the most outgoing person I think I have met and that covers a lot of people...but she can go into a restaurant they have never been to and wind up knowing the owner/manager/waitress and at least two tables of customers before they leave...
she is just genuinely interested in other people--but she would never take someone's photo like that woman did and not tell you what was going on...

maybe that woman was transfer from out of state and that is why she was so rude...

Old 03-10-2012, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skids929 View Post
People are people where ever you go, slight variations in how they interact. Not like we're a different species from one place to the next.

Can't speak for MD, but people in the NE are cold, and I am one of them, I admit it. Doesn't mean I don't like to meet new folks, we're just a little more guarded.

First time I ever visited Texas I struck up a conversation with manager of this neat hamburger joint and he came out from behind the counter, sat with me spent time to talk etc. When I look back on that I remember my reaction to it, which was something along the lines of, "this is weird, is this guy going to kidnap me or something"..I later realized, after many more interactions with folks down there, he was just being a polite. People in MA generally are NOT like that.

Cold, impolite, not outgoing etc..Yeah, I can be all of those things. I am from the northeast, proud of it. Doesn't mean I don't love the folks down there though.

IN regards to the OP comment..I vote overreacting. I went to those shops with my wife, walked around met people etc..Didn't get any weird vibes from anyone, quite the opposite actually.
Your post pretty much describes exactly what I'm talking about. It's funny because I grew up in the south but then moved to the north east (MD) and lived there for several years and I noticed the things you are talking about. For the first couple of years it got on my nerves but then after that, I started thinking like those around me... I adapted if you will, then I would go home to the south to visit and when people would be overly talkative I would wonder what their angle was etc. When the truth was, they were just being nice. I think there is a certain level of paranoia on in the North East...haha.

Anyway, it's nice to be able to let your guard down when you are in the south and not worry about what other peoples angles are.

The OP was certainly over reacting. I can think of a ton of reasons that person may have taken a picture of her. Liked her shirt, liked her shoes, liked her hairstyle, she looked familiar, etc.

Old 03-10-2012, 09:24 AM

105 posts, read 251,413 times
Huh. Interesting topic. Guess what? I was on the photo-taking-side of this equation about 2 weeks ago! I felt weird and a little creepy from the time I pulled out my phone to snap the picture, but I knew my intentions were fine, and I hoped the guy didn't notice!

I was sitting in a non-local Starbucks studying. I was there for about 4 hours. Later in the evening, I noticed a familiar-looking man two tables over, in my direct line of sight. It bugged me that I couldn't place him. He was there for about 45 minutes before a few young people rotated in and out of the seat opposite him, at his table. I thought, "Okay. He's a tutor. Now, how do I know this guy?" After a little while, I tried to see what he was tutoring -- it looked like math. And then, it dawned on me. Was he was my college son's favorite high school math teacher? I had only met that math teacher once in my life, a few years ago, so I wasn't SURE. (Why I couldn't leave this alone, I cannot say. Perhaps because I didn't want to be studying? ) Anyway, I pulled out my phone and snapped his picture, and then sent it to my son asking, "Is this Mr. [blank]?" I felt ridiculous and creepy, I will admit! But I still did it.

Funny thing is, my son said, "No. I don't think so."

Hahahhaa! It makes me laugh to think about it.

But, about 2 hours later, as he got up to leave the Starbucks, I asked him, "Are you Mr. [blank]?" And he said, "Yes!" I actually impulsively said, "I thought so! I took your picture and sent it to my son to ask!" !!!! What a creeper! I must have had too much iced coffee! But still, why didn't my son know that was him?? Weird. So the math teacher and I sat and talked for a short while. I had heard lots of great stories about this guy, and he knew my son quite well and thought very highly of him.

Another funny thing ... I'm from Maryland! (calculating? I don't think so -- I was an open book!)

Anyway, OP, were you wearing gorgeous, unique clothing? Was your hair done up in some unique, beautiful way? Did you maybe look like this lady's daughter's high school math teacher?

Whatever happened, I don't think it's representative of the neighborhood. But I sure wish you had asked her about it, because I really want to know!

Last edited by SimpleLife2; 03-10-2012 at 09:35 AM..

Old 03-10-2012, 10:20 AM

27,842 posts, read 45,471,326 times
to each his/her own--
remember that in New Guinea or even among America's Navajo that action (taking a photo w/o person's permission) was strongly prohibited at one point in time and is still frowned upon--since taking a photo of someone was thought to capture that person's spirit an--very bad behavior intruding into the other person's "space"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas