U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2012, 08:13 AM

12 posts, read 17,053 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

I appreciate all your input. I have posted before, but wanted your take on a situation I encountered recently.

Refresher, my husband and I are moving to DFW this summer from Chicago, he will be working at Frito-Lay, I will be doing my PhD in Denton (~3days a week). We have narrowed our home searching down to 2 areas in Dallas--Preston Hollow (West of Hillcrest, north of NW Hwy, South of Royal, East of Toll Road) and Bluffview near to Lover's lane.

Although we would much prefer to be in Dallas, we do want to give the burbs a fair consideration since it would ease our commute immensely. Location wise, Castle Hills (the older section) would be the front runner at this point--however that can always change as I continue the search. So here's the situation:

I made a trip to take care of some school planning in January. I went to Castle Hills (alone, late 20s female) and decided to have dinner in the shop area there to do a little people watching and get a better feel for the community. I went to the sushi place and there were less than 10 people, I was quietly eating my food by the window when a group of older women came in and were seated next to me. Within 5 minutes, one of the women took out her iphone and took a photo of me (she was using the forward facing camera therefore, I could see what she was doing). She then messaged the picture to someone and had an ongoing conversation regarding it.

I felt very uncomfortable and left rather quickly after that. I have seen so many positive reviews of CH on these boards and the "strong sense of community" is something that is really sold here. Does strong sense of community also mean that it is a very gossipy community that everyone is deeply involved in each other's personal business?

Also, is there anywhere I can find demographics on the community? Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2012, 08:26 AM

813 posts, read 1,766,019 times
Default Ch

I don't believe there's anything specific about CH vis a vis any other upscale area in DFW. There will be wonderful people and there will be GCBs too. Whenever I gripe to my wife about being jealous about the beautiful huge homes, she reminds me that many of these people have pathetic, credit card millionaire lives.

Ditto for Preston Hollow. My late mother in law lived there, and we have relatives in the Park Cities. Some nice folks, unassuming, humble. Others flaunt their wealth and are mean to the "little people".

That being said, your experience at lunch was a bit bizarre! I cannot figure out why someone would do such a thing, and be so out in the open about it.

Old 03-09-2012, 08:36 AM

653 posts, read 697,455 times
Is it possible she wasn't taking a photo of you but using the camera in reverse to take one of herself or maybe using the forward camera to take a photo of something behind you?

I've taken a few photos in the past of something then realized someone in the view may have thought I was photographing them, but hoped they'd realized I wasn't (since I don't even know them).

I don't know. Perhaps it's just me, but I don't think I'd think someone was taking a photo of me, so I wouldn't use that one situation as a basis for what people might be like in a neighborhood.

Old 03-09-2012, 08:40 AM

29,920 posts, read 34,517,946 times
Strange... were you riding in on a purple elephant ?

No ? Can't imagine why she would take your pic, we Texans really do respect our and your privacy. It's a big deal here.

Nowadays no one has time to sit around and gossip about "outsiders". Heck, we're all outsiders. If anything there is a Lack of Community in most communities. We all work to much and take care of our families and lives to worry about who's moving into the "Hood".

Old 03-09-2012, 08:41 AM

I actually saw the photo of me going out on the text message, I was sitting at a high table and she was below be taking a photo over her shoulder...I obviously don't want to stereotype the whole neighborhood based on one experience. It just made me uncomfortable, and wonder if possibly the sighting of a new person in the community was news that she needed to share? Who knows?

Old 03-09-2012, 08:46 AM

29,920 posts, read 34,517,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beyaned View Post
It just made me uncomfortable, and wonder if possibly the sighting of a new person in the community was news that she needed to share? Who knows?
I would have asked her what's up ?

There are so many people coming & going out of CH's no one would know who or what your doing. It's not a small community and 80% of the people don't even know their neighbors.

I would not be concerned. Maybe she was admiring your beauty & charm.

Old 03-09-2012, 08:47 AM

6,268 posts, read 12,101,075 times
I love when my wife brings up situations like these (not having her picture taken necessarily, but something odd that has happened and she can't figure out why.)

Same answer I give her... "Why didn't you just ask?"

Old 03-09-2012, 09:04 AM

1,129 posts, read 2,284,142 times
Quote:
I actually saw the photo of me going out on the text message, I was sitting at a high table and she was below be taking a photo over her shoulder...I obviously don't want to stereotype the whole neighborhood based on one experience. It just made me uncomfortable, and wonder if possibly the sighting of a new person in the community was news that she needed to share? Who knows?
It's possible you looked like someone she and whoever she was sending the photo to knew. Not something I would worry about to be honest. You are over reacting BIG TIME.

The south is nothing like where you came from. You don't have to always look at things in multiple different angles to try to figure out what someone is thinking or doing here.

I understand the way you think because I came from a completely different area too (Maryland), and people are much more calculated there.

I have lived in CH's for years and I can tell you it's not a gossipy place at all. Homes range from 300k here up to millions of dollars. It's actually a very diverse place. Sure, you have rich snobby people here, but you also have a TON of people who are down to earth and have stretched their money just to get in here.

This is a tremendous place to live and raise a family.

Old 03-09-2012, 09:05 AM

653 posts, read 697,455 times
Quote:
Perhaps she'd photographed something behind you and you happened to be in the photo.

Perhaps she was taking a photo of you because she simply liked your hairstyle and wanted to share it with a friend.

Either way, I wouldn't think twice about it.

Old 03-09-2012, 09:06 AM

Great, I really don't think I overreacted (obviously since I am still strongly considering CH!) I suppose my question was really to see if this type of behavior was surprising to people that lived in the neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas