U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-13-2012, 07:07 PM
 
Location: Dallas
4,625 posts, read 8,825,762 times
Reputation: 3838

Advertisements

Houston has better vacation options. Day trips or even living on Galveston. 5 hours closer to Padre Island, the only true quality Ocean resort area in Tx.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-14-2012, 02:16 AM
 
63 posts, read 87,895 times
Reputation: 50
Wow very informative thx A MILL GUYS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-14-2012, 09:03 AM
 
Location: Upper East Side of Texas
12,521 posts, read 23,043,139 times
Reputation: 4890
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete53FR View Post
Houston and Dallas are different but the main difference is Houston is very humid and Dallas is much drier. I think the weather in Dallas is better.

Houston has better freeways but more traffic. I live in East Dallas and can get around fairly easily depending on time of day. Side streets during rush hour and freeway when not so bust,

Good Luck I think that you will like Texas
Myth

The commute times in both cities/metros are about the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-14-2012, 09:08 AM
 
Location: Upper East Side of Texas
12,521 posts, read 23,043,139 times
Reputation: 4890
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
I'm a huge fan of both cities.

The cities:
Houston has a greater population that Dallas

The Metros:
DFW has a greater population that Houston Metro

Getting around:
As someone who has lived in both places, I was in Houston just this weekend for fun, Dallas is much easier to get around in. It just is. There are limited exits off of 59 and I-45 into downtown Houston as opposed to numerous exists on and off any "Quadrangle" highway around DT Dallas for an example. Houston's surface streets are narrow and more than that there are so many crossing streets one runs into lights too often. Compare Westheimer to Northwest Highway for an example. Houston has a lot of trains too. I was stuck behind one at Westheimer near The Galleria Saturday night about 9:00 PM.

Airports:
DFW + Love totally smokes GBI + Hobby.

Economies:
DFW and Houston are clearly the top two big metro economies in the country. Right now I'd give H-town a slight edge.

Living:
It's easier to live in Dallas

Fun:
Houston is more fun

Cultural/Arts/Music:
DFW by a lot DMA, Kimball Museum, Meyerson Center, Bass Hall, The Arboretum, the Arts District etc.

Food:
Dallas just barely



Downtown:
I think downtown Houston has Dallas trumped - baseball, more going on generally etc.

Flip a coin.
Houston's culinary scene is better than Dallas'. With its close proximity to the coast you get much, much fresher tasting seafood than having it shipped up to Dallas on dry ice from Houston.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-14-2012, 02:08 PM
 
Location: Chicago
1,257 posts, read 2,181,884 times
Reputation: 1131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Houston's culinary scene is better than Dallas'. With its close proximity to the coast you get much, much fresher tasting seafood than having it shipped up to Dallas on dry ice from Houston.

I agree that Houston has better seafood.


Dallas has better burger joints, Tex-Mex, and BBQ.

It's mostly a wash, but I like Dallas's foodie scene better.

Quote:
Myth

The commute times in both cities/metros are about the same.
Metros -- yes. Cities -- no.

I can get from the far east side of Dallas (North Mesquite) to the far west side of Dallas (North Stemmons Cooridor) in 30 minutes without touching a freeway. I did it for over a year for work. That's not happening in Houston.




To the OP -- if you're coming from out of state, you probably won't find Dallas and Houston to be THAT different other than slight differences in topography and weather.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-14-2012, 02:20 PM
 
Location: ITL (Houston)
9,223 posts, read 13,802,925 times
Reputation: 3545
Go read the Houston vs Dallas smackdown thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-14-2012, 04:36 PM
 
Location: Upper East Side of Texas
12,521 posts, read 23,043,139 times
Reputation: 4890
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarenceBodiker View Post



Metros -- yes. Cities -- no.

I can get from the far east side of Dallas (North Mesquite) to the far west side of Dallas (North Stemmons Cooridor) in 30 minutes without touching a freeway. I did it for over a year for work. That's not happening in Houston.
Houstonians spend an average of 58 hours a year sitting in traffic.

North Texans spend an average of 48 hours a year sitting in traffic.

10 hours per year equates to .027 hours per day difference.

We're literally talking seconds & here.

Last edited by Metro Matt; 03-14-2012 at 04:48 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-14-2012, 04:52 PM
 
2 posts, read 7,084 times
Reputation: 11
Dallas more upscale types and Houston more blue-collar types. Doesn't mean there are not both kinda folks in each city.
You are both looking for jobs and since they are not longterm (state,city etc. jobs) you could change job site often.
I'm only bringing this out because of:
GAS is a huge and growing $$ sqeeze,
Moving the kids around in school is so traumatic.
Time down the drain in traffic congestion
Why not a smaller community like CLEAR LAKE, LEAGUE CITY, TYLER TX, all nice places near Metroplex's
for weekend galleries, concerts etc. and have weekday family life?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-14-2012, 05:08 PM
 
Location: Chicago
1,257 posts, read 2,181,884 times
Reputation: 1131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Houstonians spend an average of 58 hours a year sitting in traffic.

North Texans spend an average of 48 hours a year sitting in traffic.

10 hours per year equates to .027 hours per day difference.

We're literally talking seconds & here.
Oh, I agreed with you about the metros. I was talking more about the cities themselves. I'm sure traffic is terrible for the people who live in northern Denton or Collin County and work 35 miles away in Fort Worth or Dallas. But it's much easier and quicker to get around Dallas itself than Houston. I've never met a Houstonian who doesn't rely on their freeway system to even get around their own town. I don't get on a freeway unless I'm visiting my parents in Fort Worth or my wife's parents in Argyle. There is nothing in the city of Dallas worth going to that absolutely requires a freeway if you live inside 635. Freeway traffic is meaningless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-14-2012, 05:27 PM
 
Location: Upper East Side of Texas
12,521 posts, read 23,043,139 times
Reputation: 4890
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarenceBodiker View Post
Oh, I agreed with you about the metros. I was talking more about the cities themselves. I'm sure traffic is terrible for the people who live in northern Denton or Collin County and work 35 miles away in Fort Worth or Dallas. But it's much easier and quicker to get around Dallas itself than Houston. I've never met a Houstonian who doesn't rely on their freeway system to even get around their own town. I don't get on a freeway unless I'm visiting my parents in Fort Worth or my wife's parents in Argyle. There is nothing in the city of Dallas worth going to that absolutely requires a freeway if you live inside 635. Freeway traffic is meaningless.
Interesting

I used to live in far NW Houston (Champions Forest) & never once used a freeway to get down to Chinatown in SW Houston 30+ miles away.

I would simply take Gessner or Highway 6 the whole way, which are not freeways.

The more complicated freeway options were as follow:

249 South to I-45 South to 610 West to 59 South to Bellaire Blvd.

249 South to I-45 South to 59 South to Bellaire Blvd.

Gessner to 290 South to 610 West to 59 South to Bellaire Blvd.

Houston's grid is more impressive than Dallas'.

Google night time satellite images of both cities to see with your own eyes. Notice how much denser Houston's inner loop is vs. Dallas'.

Houston:



Dallas:


Last edited by Metro Matt; 03-14-2012 at 05:53 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:48 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top