U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2012, 06:52 PM

7,312 posts, read 8,149,428 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Houston's culinary scene is better than Dallas'. With its close proximity to the coast you get much, much fresher tasting seafood than having it shipped up to Dallas on dry ice from Houston.
Fail.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2012, 07:07 PM

12,521 posts, read 22,377,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
Fail.
Not according to Travel & Leisure Magazine's September 2011 issue which Dissed Dallas with a capital D.

America's Best Cities for Foodies - Articles | Travel + Leisure

Houston

"Houston’s liveliest food-and-drink zone (with a heavy dose of drink) these days is Washington Avenue, where you can find tapas, French-Vietnamese cuisine, or, at the BRC Gastropub, quail fried in Dr Pepper. But AFC voters got the most excited about the city’s barbecue (No. 5) and its burgers, which ranked No. 1. Two great places to dig into these triple-patty wonders: the Hubcap Grill and the old-style Lankford Grocery. The big-business city also scored in the top 10 for its diverse locals".

Dallas/Fort Worth

"Even though the Tex-Mex, barbecue, and steak-friendly cuisine in Big D is fairly similar to what you’d find in higher-ranked Austin and San Antonio, voters were more interested in Dallas’s shopping (blame that Neiman-Marcus flagship). For up-and-coming cuisine, local foodies are tending toward street tacos and new spots in the Uptown/McKinney Avenue area. Your meal will be, at the very least, more interesting than the local people-watching, which ranked last in the survey."

With all of the choices its no wonder Houstonians eat out more than any other city.

Old 03-14-2012, 07:28 PM

1,257 posts, read 2,120,272 times
No offense, but I've never seen Travel and Leisure say a single nice word about Dallas. They are worse than some Houston posters, and I'm not sure if posting links from their articles is proof of anything.

It's hard to imagine not being able to find great food of any flavor from either city.

Old 03-14-2012, 08:21 PM

4,625 posts, read 8,544,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Houston's culinary scene is better than Dallas'. With its close proximity to the coast you get much, much fresher tasting seafood than having it shipped up to Dallas on dry ice from Houston.
My wife just came back from a week in HOU and said this exactly. Shellfish IMO is the biggest problem in DFW. And I've had some truly nasty sushi too. I haven't personally experience HOU seafood vs DFW, but I can say for sure DFW vs BOS is no contest. Proximity to the ocean seems like the obvious difference. Put that all together and I tend to believe MM is right.

Not to say there is no good fish or seafood - there is. Seafood just tends to not be *great* and better fish is usually catfish. But you can find the exception though. Who would have ever expected the Jamaican Bobsled Team?

Old 03-14-2012, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xS☺Be View Post
My wife just came back from a week in HOU and said this exactly. Shellfish IMO is the biggest problem in DFW. And I've had some truly nasty sushi too. I haven't personally experience HOU seafood vs DFW, but I can say for sure DFW vs BOS is no contest. Proximity to the ocean seems like the obvious difference. Put that all together and I tend to believe MM is right.

Not to say there is no good fish or seafood - there is. Seafood just tends to not be *great* and better fish is usually catfish. But you can find the exception though. Who would have ever expected the Jamaican Bobsled Team?
My friends parents used to own a seafood market/restaurant down in Seabrook before Hurricane Ike completely leveled it. I know what fresh seafood is supposed to taste like.

Living near the coast has its advantages.

In Dallas seafood is either A. hauled in or B. flown in from the Gulf Coast, Northeast Coast, or Alaska.

Catfish, sushi, & crawfish is what most Dallasites commonly label as "seafood".

Old 03-14-2012, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xS☺Be View Post

Are you trying to be funny? Better fish = catfish? Where are you eating?

Old 03-14-2012, 09:52 PM

9,223 posts, read 13,464,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarenceBodiker View Post
Oh, I agreed with you about the metros. I was talking more about the cities themselves. I'm sure traffic is terrible for the people who live in northern Denton or Collin County and work 35 miles away in Fort Worth or Dallas. But it's much easier and quicker to get around Dallas itself than Houston. I've never met a Houstonian who doesn't rely on their freeway system to even get around their own town. I don't get on a freeway unless I'm visiting my parents in Fort Worth or my wife's parents in Argyle. There is nothing in the city of Dallas worth going to that absolutely requires a freeway if you live inside 635. Freeway traffic is meaningless.
That's only because the Dallas is physically smaller than Houston. Of course it would take longer to go from one side of Houston to the other than it would in Dallas. Both cities and metros are the same.

Old 03-14-2012, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae713 View Post
That's only because the Dallas is physically smaller than Houston. Of course it would take longer to go from one side of Houston to the other than it would in Dallas. Both cities and metros are the same.

I almost never agree with ClarenceBodiker - this time he is correct about H-town traffic.
This past Sunday at about 3:00PM it took me almost 20 minutes to get from 59 to 610 via northbound Fountain View then eastbound Westheimer. That can't be more than 3 miles.

Old 03-14-2012, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
I almost never agree with ClarenceBodiker - this time he is correct about H-town traffic.
This past Sunday at about 3:00PM it took me almost 20 minutes to get from 59 to 610 via northbound Fountain View then eastbound Westheimer. That can't be more than 3 miles.
Houston has 500-700k less people living in its metro.

Do you honestly think D/FW has less of a traffic problem then Houston? Really?

DART ain't getting that many people off the roadways I'm sorry to burst your little bubble.

I've already provided the actual differences between commute times & it is negligible.

.023 hours more per day sitting in Houston traffic. Big whoop. I'm losing sleep already.

Old 03-14-2012, 11:04 PM

5,711 posts, read 1,730,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarenceBodiker View Post
No offense, but I've never seen Travel and Leisure say a single nice word about Dallas. They are worse than some Houston posters, and I'm not sure if posting links from their articles is proof of anything.

It's hard to imagine not being able to find great food of any flavor from either city.
No kidding. If they say "the local people-watching ... ranked last in the survey", they must be from another planet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or