U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2012, 08:52 PM

38 posts, read 48,798 times

Advertisements

They don't have failed stickers. They just tell you what failed and you have 30 days to get it fixed for a free follow-up inspection.

Your steering rack is probably bad.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2012, 04:45 AM

1,530 posts, read 2,516,890 times
What the hell does tight steering mean? Steering isn't supposed to be loose. Also, as far as I know, the SRS isn't checked even in emissions counties.

My friend has been driving around with Oklahoma plates for quite some time. I'm wondering if the NTTA will ever catch up with him for his trips down the DNT.

Old 03-10-2012, 06:45 AM

23,618 posts, read 31,198,912 times
Texas Department of Public Safety - Inspection Criteria for the Annual SAFETY Inspection

TxDPS - New to Texas

Old 03-10-2012, 12:51 PM

6,268 posts, read 12,132,882 times
Sigh. Come on people, if you are not into cars and don't know what you're talking about, don't post the wrong information for the OP.

For starters, you can get TX insurance without registering a vehicle here. In fact, that's what you HAVE to do, because an inspection station typically won't inspect the vehicle until you have TX insurance, and I know for a fact you can't register the vehicle with out of state insurance. You have to have the TX policy in hand before they will even begin to start the registration process.

As far as the inspection process goes... if your car is OBD2 (meaning built in 1995 or later, having the SRS light on will automatically fail you. If it's OBD1, you can pull the fuse for the light or pull the bulb and they would be none the wiser. If you fail the inspection, you have 15 days, not 30, to fix the situation and then retest. If you still fail, then you MAY be able to apply for an individual vehicle waiver. (I say may, because in the case of emissions, if you pay $600 and it still doesn't fix the issue, they will grant the exemption. Not sure if that applies towards other aspects of the inspection.)

Or, you could take it to a station where a friendly, financially struggling mechanic may do you a favor if you're... "nice" to him.

Old 03-10-2012, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
As far as the inspection process goes... if your car is OBD2 (meaning built in 1995 or later, having the SRS light on will automatically fail you. If it's OBD1, you can pull the fuse for the light or pull the bulb and they would be none the wiser.
SRS is definitely not checked by the standard inspection. I've never had to do emissions in Dallas before but the government's website says nothing about SRS under emissions, just the CEL. Why would it? SRS has absolutely nothing to do with the emissions system. Also, it has nothing to do with OBD-II which wasn't legally mandated until 1996, but some cars have it going back to at least 1992.

Old 03-10-2012, 05:25 PM

6,268 posts, read 12,132,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenshi View Post
SRS is definitely not checked by the standard inspection. I've never had to do emissions in Dallas before but the government's website says nothing about SRS under emissions, just the CEL. Why would it? SRS has absolutely nothing to do with the emissions system. Also, it has nothing to do with OBD-II which wasn't legally mandated until 1996, but some cars have it going back to at least 1992.
Yes, SRS is checked by the "standard inspection." SRS has absolutely nothing to do with emissions, it is part of the INSPECTION. If your brake lights or horn do not work, you'll fail the inspection. Those don't have anything to do with emissions either. Do you know what SRS means? It stands for "supplemental restraint system." Namely, your seatbelts and airbags. Kinda important to have those safety items working for an inspection of the vehicles safety, don't you think?

OBD2 cars get plugged into a computer. If there's anything wrong with the car, the car's ECU will report it to the inspection computer, and you fail. OBD1 cars don't have the same diagnostic plug that OBD2 does, and it gives very limited information.

Again, if you're going to post, make sure you double check what you are posting, because you're not helping by giving out the wrong information.

Old 03-10-2012, 05:41 PM

As posted above:

Texas Department of Public Safety - Inspection Criteria for the Annual SAFETY Inspection

They do check seatbelts, but seatbelts aren't SRS, they're primary restraint systems. I've known people with busted airbags who had their vehicles inspected.

Also, while the OBD-II system is impressive, it doesn't have codes and isn't connected to the SRS system, at least not on all models. It's separate like the ABS system. And that's irrelevant outside of counties that do emissions testing anyway because a check engine light doesn't fail an inspection. I know this from experience as well as the above link.

Old 03-10-2012, 06:14 PM

1 posts, read 1,225 times
You do have to get the insurance first. They asked to see proof of Texas insurance before they would do the inspection. You need the inspection before you can get your car registered in Texas, and you need to register your car before you can a Texas driver's license. So it needs to be in that order ... insurance, inspection, registration, license.

I just took my car to be inspected in one of the "tougher" counties. It's a 2003. Passed right on through. When I got my car home, I happened to notice that the tread was coming up in one spot badly enough to have punctured a leaf and carried it on the tire. I was a bit surprised, thinking it might have been nice if they had noticed that and mentioned it to me ... (And before you think I'm an idiot, I DO keep a close watch on my tires, that was a bit of a fluke to me too, so maybe it happened on the way home and they really did miss it honestly ... but then again maybe not.)

Luckily I had already purchased new tires (I knew I needed them anyway) and went ahead and changed them out. Also, my steering was not great, due to constant low pressure in one of the tires (it had a slow leak and I have my own compressor, air it up every day or two). It may not be something everyone would notice, but it was very apparent to me. Didn't cause the inspection station any problem.

Yes, I'd say based on my experience that they tend to be rather lax around here.

Old 03-10-2012, 09:46 PM

80 posts, read 165,174 times
I'm a MI native and have seen TONS of MI plates that have expired in MI still in action here. I don't know how they have done it for so long. I moved here in 2009, the year my MI license was to expire, and switched over everything about 8 months later. My MI plate has a special place on the wall in my garage.

Old 03-10-2012, 10:22 PM

2,346 posts, read 5,799,190 times
My former neighbors drove around with their out-of-state plates for over THREE years. Now that I think about it, they NEVER registered their cars here, just eventually got new leased vehicles.

Then again, they are the shady characters that stripped their house before foreclosure (there's a thread on that somewhere around here), so you might not want to emulate them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or