U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2012, 03:00 PM

16 posts, read 27,412 times

Advertisements

I live in NYC, and I have plans to move to Dallas or Plano, TX. I would like to know if the job market is good out there before I make the move. And see if Dallas is the place that I can call my new home.

It's gotten to expensive to live in NYC, cost of living is ridiculous out here. My career experience is Administrative Assistant/Secretarial/Clerical. Basically anything office related. Although I will work in anything as long as it's legal and respectable.

So I would appreciate all the feedback, about the pros and cons of Dallas or Plano.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2012, 03:59 PM

6,947 posts, read 18,689,984 times
tje employment situation is a bit better than manynplaces but there are stillmany,many folks out of work and there's keen competition for all jobs.

Old 03-09-2012, 04:40 PM

9,505 posts, read 19,511,098 times
A recent opening for a PBX Operator where I work had 1300 applicants. That's a pretty good indicator of what the job market is like in DFW. Administrative is one of the most difficult fields to find a job, especially if you do not have a college degree.

Old 03-10-2012, 11:55 AM

10,720 posts, read 16,839,909 times
If you have a chance to watch the ABC show "GCB", it will give you an idea about Dallas culture. A lot of people on this forum are a little defensive because they try to depict Dallas as being relatively non-Southern but it's most definitely a southern city. While it is dramatized for television, there is truth to many of the stereotypes. Dallas is arguably the Evangelical capital of the United States and church life and Christianity is highly emphasized in Dallas. Dallas also tends to be very cliquish as well; it may be difficult to penetrate new social circles as people who attended the same high school or went to college in Texas tend to still hang out with one another whereas in most states, people who were friends in high school rarely still socialize with one another.

The pros include many things. Dallas has excellent schools, jobs and affordable housing. The weather is nice as it has all 4 seasons so don't fear it being like L.A., Miami, Phoenix, Houston and San Diego in which it is warm all year round.

Old 03-10-2012, 12:52 PM

6,848 posts, read 9,819,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
If you have a chance to watch the ABC show "GCB", it will give you an idea about Dallas culture. A lot of people on this forum are a little defensive because they try to depict Dallas as being relatively non-Southern but it's most definitely a southern city. While it is dramatized for television, there is truth to many of the stereotypes. Dallas is arguably the Evangelical capital of the United States and church life and Christianity is highly emphasized in Dallas. Dallas also tends to be very cliquish as well; it may be difficult to penetrate new social circles as people who attended the same high school or went to college in Texas tend to still hang out with one another whereas in most states, people who were friends in high school rarely still socialize with one another.

This has to be the most inaccurate description of Dallas that I've seen on this forum, ever!

Old 03-10-2012, 01:05 PM

690 posts, read 1,440,235 times
Have you checked out the Texas workforce listings and other internet job listings, you may have some luck finding a job.
Good Luck.

TWC:
WorkInTexas.com Home: Helping Texans Work Better.

Old 03-11-2012, 01:05 AM

23,599 posts, read 31,152,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdlnfigueroa View Post
I live in NYC, and I have plans to move to Dallas or Plano, TX. I would like to know if the job market is good out there before I make the move. And see if Dallas is the place that I can call my new home.

It's gotten to expensive to live in NYC, cost of living is ridiculous out here. My career experience is Administrative Assistant/Secretarial/Clerical. Basically anything office related. Although I will work in anything as long as it's legal and respectable.

So I would appreciate all the feedback, about the pros and cons of Dallas or Plano.
As the others have said, Dallas is very cliqueish and while the economy here is in better shape relative to some other parts of the US, it is not the best job market in the US and Texas's overall unemployment puts us in the middle of the pack.

Competition for lower-skilled jobs (like clerical work) is fierce. Don't move here without a job.

Old 03-11-2012, 09:52 AM

16 posts, read 27,412 times
Quote:

The pros include many things. Dallas has excellent schools, jobs and affordable housing. The weather is nice as it has all 4 seasons so don't fear it being like L.A., Miami, Phoenix, Houston and San Diego in which it is warm all year round.
Thanks for your reply to my posting.

Old 03-11-2012, 09:57 AM

42,220 posts, read 49,768,169 times
Quote:

I normally agree with your posts, but WTF kind of crack are you smoking?

GCB is a joke. Church is as you like it. My favorite thing about this place is the live and let live vibe. There are all sorts of cultures here. But what the hell do I know...I have only lived here 23 years and traveled in various different social circles.

Old 03-11-2012, 09:59 AM

42,220 posts, read 49,768,169 times
My advice to you, op, is to get a job BEFORE moving. Also scope out the living situation. It is not as cheap to live here as people think. But this is my advice for moving anywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or