U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2007, 08:27 AM

87 posts, read 184,241 times

Advertisements

I have a Pest Control company that's usually comes out every 3 months to perform pest control services inside and outside perimeter of the house. Every so often I notice bugs inside the house like spiders and ear wigs. I've came to the conclusion that maybe professional pest control isn't worth it since there are still bugs in my house. Is professional pest control typically used in the DFW area, or will I be better off buying store bought pesticides and applying the stuff myself? Thoughts? I just feel I'm wasting my money on these services when it looks like it's not working. Maybe another pest control company can be suggested if their services really work......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2007, 10:00 AM

8,640 posts, read 14,818,179 times
Well, I formerly worked as receptionist/secretary for a pest control company for about four years. That, obviously, doesn't make me an expert but I think I can offer a few informed opinions at least.

I don't know about earwigs, what would control them, but spiders, my boss said are very difficult to control with regular pesticide spraying because they don't just walk on the perimeters of the floor. (Usually require "bombing" and that may not be effective either.)

Again, this is just my personal opinion, but I would not have them spray regularly just for spiders and earwigs. For roaches, I would use Combat discs or other "bait" type discs which can be purchased at the store yourself. Ants are harder to control. You might need a one-time spraying for them.

The following are some things that I would recommend consulting a professional to deal with:

termites
carpenter ants
rats
squirrels in attic
crickets (can usually be controlled with one-time good exterior spraying)
regular ants (can be very persistent, may need a professional servicing)
fleas (an infestation of fleas can be very difficult to get rid of on your own.)
anything persistent or unidentifiable

You should probably discuss your earwig/spider problems with your current pest control company and see if they have any suggestions. These are just some opinions that I have gleaned working on the "periphera" of the business. I'm obviously no professional or expert in the business. Btw, if you would like the name of someone in the Dallas area who I think is very good and very honest and ethical, dm me and I'll give you a name.

Old 09-10-2007, 10:04 AM

1,538 posts, read 4,770,039 times
All the wet weather this year has made for some unusual circumstances. If they are spraying outside your home it is quite possible the rains have washed it a way. Add to that that wet weather pushed bugs indoors, and the cool summer has made the critters breed like crazy.

I too have regular pest control service, and have also seen a lot of earwigs, spiders, and even a few geckos.

depending on what type of tree you have you may have even seen web worms eating up your trees.

Old 09-10-2007, 10:15 AM

96 posts, read 209,607 times
I not in Texas yet but soon to be. I have been hearing a lot about fire ants.
Will pest control be benificial for them. I have also been told that you have to make sure they are fire ants vs regular ants. Why? I don't know anything about fire ants. Can someone shed some light here?

Old 09-10-2007, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasorbust View Post
Will pest control be benificial for them. I have also been told that you have to make sure they are fire ants vs regular ants. Why? I don't know anything about fire ants. Can someone shed some light here?
I would use a product like Amdro to treat the mounds when you find them.

Old 09-10-2007, 10:23 AM

96 posts, read 209,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
I would use a product like Amdro to treat the mounds when you find them.
Thanks for the tip.

When I was looking at the property while in Texas I notice a few dark color mounds by the pond. Actually I almost step on it. Was that fire ants?

Old 09-10-2007, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the tip.

When I was looking at the property while in Texas I notice a few dark color mounds by the pond. Actually I almost step on it. Was that fire ants?
Probably was. They are fairly common as you have already heard. Yes, don't step in them or you may find out the hard way!

Old 09-10-2007, 12:16 PM

670 posts, read 2,054,186 times
Albeit we are not there this year (moved September 2006, hopefully back by November this year) but we only had problems with actual bugs in the house when we rented 1 of the 2 apartments we rented. The WHOLE cluster had problems with ants in the bedrooms and bathrooms towards the center of the building. It was weird.

Fire ants are the only thing we've treated at home and wasp nests occasionally. We didn't pay for a service, but I am super anal about not leaving water out or food on dishes and stuff like that. I mean I freeze chicken bones and food products that don't go down the disposal, and wait for garbage day to take them out to the curb so YMMV.

Old 09-13-2007, 12:04 PM

18 posts, read 42,396 times
If you must hire someone, find a trustworthy local independent. The thing I've noticed about the "big" nationally-franchised names is that they want to put you on ongoing maintenance agreements ($$) that might not address your specific needs.

We use a guy out of Garland (don't know if he'd go as far as McK) for whom pest control is an enjoyable career. We're paying not just for chemicals, but for his encyclopedic knowledge and experience -- and in my opinion unless you want to turn pest control and/or entomology research into a draining hobby, it's worth paying a professional.

Old 09-13-2007, 03:45 PM

415 posts, read 1,182,731 times
Quote:
There are native fire ants and 'imported' fire ants. The imported kind are the ones that cause the most problems, because their natural predators don't exist and therefore nothing keeps them in line, they way it does where they came from.

You want to identify the type of ant because native species actually help keep the invaders out. By killing local ones, you really just open yourself up to the opportunistic nasty kind. Ask me how I know...

There are two ways to kill fire ants, immediately with poison, and longer term by baiting and eventually killing the queen. As long as the queen lives, the colony will remain.

Baiting is probably better, but it takes longer to work, because the workers have to stay alive to carry the stuff back to the queen.

I have heard that you have to treat for fire ants every year, regardless of what you use. Austin has released some flies that prey on certain types of fire ants, but the area is limited for now.

Also, make sure your house is clean, so buggies don't have anything to feed on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas