U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2012, 06:02 PM

1,038 posts, read 1,935,027 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zs4 View Post
Come to Richardson...it has a great Queens, Brooklyn neighborhood feel, and very inexpensive. Lots of friendly and old people. Its close to downtown and and its not artsy fartsy at all. None of the hyped up Manhattan crap created by cornfed transplants from other parts of the country. I find Richardson to be real like old NY and especially Brooklyn.
It is true that the people who live there may be like this, but I want to caution the OP that it does not actually *look* like Brooklyn/Queens (from a visual perpective anyway). It is a typical american suburb (not that that is necessarily a bad thing, since the OP seems like she is open to a surban living environmment). Hope this helps!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2012, 10:53 PM

2,593 posts, read 3,739,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartGXL View Post
It is true that the people who live there may be like this, but I want to caution the OP that it does not actually *look* like Brooklyn/Queens (from a visual perpective anyway). It is a typical american suburb (not that that is necessarily a bad thing, since the OP seems like she is open to a surban living environmment). Hope this helps!
I'm open to pretty much anything, really. Except for paying overpriced rent in a "hip" area.

I believe in keeping an open mind about everything, and I don't judge. I spent the first 24 years of my life living next door to the worst neighborhood in all of NYC (East New York). So I have street smarts, and can live just about anywhere, as long as it's not a crack den.

I made the mistake of sending out my resume too early and could have had 3 interviews this week. I will instead wait until a week or so before I come down and then start sending it out.

From what I can tell, I will be making at bare minimum 42K a year, possibly up to 65K depending on the job. Considering I make in that range now and pay $1200 rent, you can see why I am looking to move.

I know Dallas will not look like NYC, and the areas will not look the same. I'm actually looking forward to that aspect. I did live in the suburbs for 3 years, so I have a pretty good idea of what I'm walking into.

I'll be in town it looks like mid April. I was going to shoot for the end of this month, but work is crazy right now. I was able to get a flight on Southwest for $260 which is cheaper than the $400 I was seeing. We'll see what happens.

Thanks all so far for your replies!

Old 03-13-2012, 10:40 AM

6,947 posts, read 18,752,257 times
You might like Old Irving Near the rail station. Little houses, a walkable area with good access to public library, nice parks and of course great public transport. Blue collar. Pretty cheap rent.

Old 03-13-2012, 11:30 AM

2,487 posts, read 5,589,597 times
Honestly- if I were a single 30-something year old. I would live in the downtown Dallas areas. Everything is within the little bubble- as I say it. Shopping, Food, Entertainment- a lot is walking distance. You could live there and not have to leave for anything.

Old 03-13-2012, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LQQKOUT View Post
Honestly- if I were a single 30-something year old. I would live in the downtown Dallas areas. Everything is within the little bubble- as I say it. Shopping, Food, Entertainment- a lot is walking distance. You could live there and not have to leave for anything.
I'm closer to 40 than 30, so hanging near 20 somethings is something I would prefer not to do. I don't necessarily need to be in the middle of all of the action. My partying days are long over, so being close to entertainment is not a priority. Work and school take up most of my time.

Quiet and safe are probably the highest priorities. Which experience has taught me is not the "hip" or gentrified areas. I work in an area that is gentrified, and it's anything but quiet and there are a lot of thefts and break ins here. I imagine it's not much different there, either.

The rest I can figure out once I land a job.

Old 03-13-2012, 09:18 PM

11,688 posts, read 21,317,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss J 74 View Post
I'm closer to 40 than 30, so hanging near 20 somethings is something I would prefer not to do. I don't necessarily need to be in the middle of all of the action. My partying days are long over, so being close to entertainment is not a priority. Work and school take up most of my time.

Quiet and safe are probably the highest priorities. Which experience has taught me is not the "hip" or gentrified areas. I work in an area that is gentrified, and it's anything but quiet and there are a lot of thefts and break ins here. I imagine it's not much different there, either.

The rest I can figure out once I land a job.
Downtown Dallas is neither full of 20-something's nor loud & dangerous. It is actually a diverse neighborhood of about 7,000 residents who stay there after the tens of thousands who work there go home. It's friendly. Everyone seems to know everyone when out walking their dogs or popping into a laid back bar. there are about two blocks of Main Street that have clubs & trendier hotspots, but the entire rest of the district is surprisingly inexpensive and laid back.

The "entertainment" you'd be living close to is our world class arts district (imagine the Met, Frick, Lincoln Center, 92nd St Y, and Broadway all within 3 blocks of one another), the not yet complete, expansive Kyle Warren Park connecting downtown and uptown Dallas, and some pretty good restaurants.....not Murry Hill yuppie 20-something frat bar "entertainment".

It's something to check out, at least.

Old 03-13-2012, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
Downtown Dallas is neither full of 20-something's nor loud & dangerous. It is actually a diverse neighborhood of about 7,000 residents who stay there after the tens of thousands who work there go home. It's friendly. Everyone seems to know everyone when out walking their dogs or popping into a laid back bar. there are about two blocks of Main Street that have clubs & trendier hotspots, but the entire rest of the district is surprisingly inexpensive and laid back.

The "entertainment" you'd be living close to is our world class arts district (imagine the Met, Frick, Lincoln Center, 92nd St Y, and Broadway all within 3 blocks of one another), the not yet complete, expansive Kyle Warren Park connecting downtown and uptown Dallas, and some pretty good restaurants.....not Murry Hill yuppie 20-something frat bar "entertainment".

It's something to check out, at least.
Gotcha.

I was reading some parts get sketchy, say around Munger Place? While I know sometimes things can change on a block by block basis, are there specific areas that are just downright questionable?

Old 03-13-2012, 10:41 PM

11,688 posts, read 21,317,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss J 74 View Post
Gotcha.

I was reading some parts get sketchy, say around Munger Place? While I know sometimes things can change on a block by block basis, are there specific areas that are just downright questionable?
Munger Place is about 2 miles away from downtown in the part of town called Old East Dallas. It's actually a very nice neighborhood chock full of historic $350K++ homes that are really well maintained. But some of thr areas east of Columbia Ave are sketchy-ville so if you're interested in East Dallas yoi'll want to drive & walk the area to be sure you feel safe at a particular address.

Downtown itself is south of Woodall Rogers, north of I-30, between I-45 and I-35. You'll definitely want to look north of city hall, but thst's where the majority of the housing is so that shouldn't be too hard to follow! If you can locate the flagship Neiman Marcus on google maps on Main Street, you'll generally find the part of downtown to look in & around. Some building names to look up are:
The Davis Building
Dallas Power & Light Lofts
Manor House
The Kirby
Third Rail Lofts
The Merc

Old 03-14-2012, 09:41 PM

39 posts, read 89,273 times
I agree - you should live close to your work. We moved to Richardson, TX from Europe (I was proposed a job in Richardson). Our first instinct was to rent an apartment Uptown Dallas (it's somewhat more lively). Luckily someone pointed out that driving will consume most of my time! So we rented a place in Richardson, and we are very happy - people here are simple, not pretentious. I use my bicycle to go to work! We have great Texan friends all around Richardson. There is University (UTD) nearby. There are PLENTY of great restaurants (I refer to really good food, not just American chains) - there are Asian, German/Austrian, French etc. just in 10-15 min driving distance. So I think Richardson is great, but you would first want to know where you'll get your job. And I hope it will work out fine for you. My best friend came from NYC and he was constantly talking about NYC (not surprisingly), for three whole years. Now he's back in NYC, and I think he is so much happier back there!

Old 03-15-2012, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by An European View Post
I agree - you should live close to your work. We moved to Richardson, TX from Europe (I was proposed a job in Richardson). Our first instinct was to rent an apartment Uptown Dallas (it's somewhat more lively). Luckily someone pointed out that driving will consume most of my time! So we rented a place in Richardson, and we are very happy - people here are simple, not pretentious. I use my bicycle to go to work! We have great Texan friends all around Richardson. There is University (UTD) nearby. There are PLENTY of great restaurants (I refer to really good food, not just American chains) - there are Asian, German/Austrian, French etc. just in 10-15 min driving distance. So I think Richardson is great, but you would first want to know where you'll get your job. And I hope it will work out fine for you. My best friend came from NYC and he was constantly talking about NYC (not surprisingly), for three whole years. Now he's back in NYC, and I think he is so much happier back there!
That won't be me. I'm not one of those people who will sit there and try to compare every place to NYC. I take it in and take it for what it is and then make a judgment call.

So far I checked out Eastern PA (found it a little depressing and lacking in jobs), next week I am checking out VA and then next month Dallas. I'm one of the few people who actually hated San Diego. I loved the atmosphere and weather, but found some of the people I encountered to be more rude and obnoxious than here! I'm generally laid back and friendly, but wow I was shocked.

It's good to know it's actual restaurants and not chains. When I lived in the suburbs it was mostly chains.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or