U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2012, 12:10 PM

2,593 posts, read 3,745,562 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
Munger Place is about 2 miles away from downtown in the part of town called Old East Dallas. It's actually a very nice neighborhood chock full of historic $350K++ homes that are really well maintained. But some of thr areas east of Columbia Ave are sketchy-ville so if you're interested in East Dallas yoi'll want to drive & walk the area to be sure you feel safe at a particular address.

Downtown itself is south of Woodall Rogers, north of I-30, between I-45 and I-35. You'll definitely want to look north of city hall, but thst's where the majority of the housing is so that shouldn't be too hard to follow! If you can locate the flagship Neiman Marcus on google maps on Main Street, you'll generally find the part of downtown to look in & around. Some building names to look up are:
The Davis Building
Dallas Power & Light Lofts
Manor House
The Kirby
Third Rail Lofts
The Merc
Checked these places out, and might be slightly out of my price range depending on the salary I get. Right now it looks like I'll be making around 40-45k average, which means $1100 rent is a hefty price tag after taxes. (I pay $1200 now, so if this were the case, I would be better off staying put where I am). Plus I don't have much of a social life, anyway.

Like I said I would rather be away from the "hip" areas, and judging from the advertisements of those buildings, they seem to be catering to that demographic. I don't need the Starbucks on the corner or to be next to Whole Foods. I'm just a blue collar, hard working girl. I work in a hipster area now and can't stand it. Maybe that will help give an idea what I'm trying to avoid?

Last edited by Miss J 74; 03-15-2012 at 12:47 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2012, 01:01 PM

6,947 posts, read 18,774,263 times
Farmers Branch, Carrollton, Irving, Garland, Richardson. There's also some ok places in zip code 75220, kind of edgy area, but I own rental property there and the people in the (gated) condo community are salt of the earth and wonderful....a great little community. Here's some links to possibilities, to give you a map fix:

http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...ental=1&row=16

http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...rental=1&row=4

http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...rental=1&row=3

Last edited by Squirl; 03-15-2012 at 01:14 PM..

Old 03-15-2012, 04:15 PM

16 posts, read 27,486 times
Your response to Miss J 74, has been very helpful for me as well since. I am also looking to move from NYC. I am looking at early October of this year for the move. I will be apply for jobs from here; but I have friends in Plano, that want me to try where they're at. But I will also try Richardson. Thanks for the info.

Old 03-15-2012, 04:21 PM

16 posts, read 27,486 times
Hi, Miss J 74, I read your post and I am in the same situation almost. I was also born and raised in NYC, Brooklyn and Queens. I'm looking to move to Texas, as well. I have friends that want me to try it in the Plano area. I was in Florida, for 5 years, but the economy as well as jobs are not good at all. So, I decided to try Texas. I'm happy to know there are other New Yorkers moving to Texas. It's going to be a weird transition for me. I will most likely make the move by October of this year.

I wish you lots of luck!!!!!

Old 03-15-2012, 08:21 PM
zs4

15 posts, read 17,743 times
@mdlnfigueroa: I like Richardson. I didn't like it at first as it looked old and in despair. But after about a month, it looks different and i don't see its shortcomings as much. It actually feels like the outer parts of Queens, NY, a bit old, a bit diverse, less crowded. Plano is nice too. The only thing is people smile less in Plano than in Richardson. Moving to DFW is not like moving to Alabama, where I really felt (lack of) culture shock. DFW is a major city with all cultures, attractions, major companies, airports, etc. Nothing can compare to NYC area, but the transition to Dallas is easy.

Old 03-15-2012, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdlnfigueroa View Post
Hi, Miss J 74, I read your post and I am in the same situation almost. I was also born and raised in NYC, Brooklyn and Queens. I'm looking to move to Texas, as well. I have friends that want me to try it in the Plano area. I was in Florida, for 5 years, but the economy as well as jobs are not good at all. So, I decided to try Texas. I'm happy to know there are other New Yorkers moving to Texas. It's going to be a weird transition for me. I will most likely make the move by October of this year.

I wish you lots of luck!!!!!
I've lived in Queens also, in Astoria and South Ozone Park near Woodhaven, so I know what you mean.

I was planning on moving in October initially. However if I get a good enough job offer next month, I will be going in May. Otherwise I will revert back to the October date.

I have friends in Plano as well. However I plan on checking all over as well as reaching out to a few headhunters before I visit. I'll give you some feedback after I return, I'm going out there mid April. I'm checking Northern VA next week, however after doing some homework, their COL is quickly catching up to ours, sadly.

Old 03-15-2012, 09:33 PM
zs4

15 posts, read 17,743 times
@mdlnfigueroa, and Miss J74.

Think of Dallas as an expanded version of Queens. Queens has 2.2 million people, Dallas 2.4million. Queens is comprised of many diverse neighborhoods, Dallas many diverse cities, more like hamlets. In both cities, you need a car to get around. Public transportation is there, but not convenient. However, certain parts of both cities are linked to downtown via train. Both cities have lots of immigrants, lots of different cultures, lots of different foods, etc. Dallas is a more of a mobile city. Unless there is an accident its easy to drive to the different neighborhoods in about 20-30 minutes. In Queens, traffic is stuck at any time of the day usually.

I'm not too sure about the job market as I work from home for my NY employer. But if you can get a job here, I encourage you to really give this place a chance. You can actually buy a home here and hope to pay it off one day. Prices are what they were in QUeens 35 years ago.

All in all, moving from Queens is not a big transition. What is probably your real issue is getting a job, and then finding a place near it. But the natives can tell you all about that.

Old 03-16-2012, 12:49 AM

Thanks for the tip. Just booked my hotel and it's by the Galleria. (I tried in vain to get Downtown, but it was not happening.). Hotel has free parking and a shuttle to the mall, however I will be renting a car anyway.

Old 03-30-2012, 09:58 PM

Update:

Have an interview lined up in Balch Springs near Mesquite. I was told by the recruiter it's going to be me and 2 other people competing, but I'm the most qualified. If this came to pass, what areas would I want to check into?

Old 03-30-2012, 10:05 PM

9,537 posts, read 19,612,892 times
Balch Springs is NOT a nice area. You would definitely not want to live there. Parts of Mesquite would be much better. There's no public transit in Mesquite.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or