U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2012, 11:34 AM

2,593 posts, read 3,728,289 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the information in this thread, I am also considering Dallas, and will be visiting in a few weeks. I also have friends in Dallas, Tyler, Arp, Houston and San Antonio. I will be moving from NYC as well, (born and raised) and already will be walking in with the perspective of not comparing it to the place I am leaving. Besides, it is why I am leaving!! I'm not one of those that will go looking down on the natives either, we have plenty of those here and we can't stand them either.

With this in mind, I should mention I am a blue collar girl, through and through. I don't need to be in some "creative, artsy" place with "like minded" people. I would actually prefer to avoid these areas! With this in mind, which areas would be good for a 30 something female looking to start over? I enjoy maybe a good dive bar, some outdoor sports, and close access to supermarkets.

Thanks in advance!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2012, 01:35 PM

690 posts, read 1,440,545 times
The metro is a big place of course, rule of thumb is to live within twenty miles from work.
But of course your leaving yourself open to just about anywhere in the metro to live.
East dallas has its older prestigious locations close to lower greenville where all the bars, clubs
and restaurants are. Deep Ellum is another location, Uptown seems to be the popular place right now, sports teams, restaurants, museums etc.
Addison would be another recommendation, possibly Las Colinas in Irving.

If you wish to look towards Fort Worth or Arlington. Fort worth has South 7th which is growing with
all the museums, clubs, restaurants. Just a few miles from downtown Fort worth which has many
more of the same.
Arlington is a bit of everything, suburb, no public transportation, but has all the clubs and restaurants.

Hope this helps for starters...Good Luck

Old 03-10-2012, 02:07 PM

813 posts, read 1,767,128 times
Key would be where will you work? This is a huge spacial area. Heck, DFW airport is as big as Manhattan.

Old 03-10-2012, 03:14 PM

I've been applying to a few places, and they seem to be mainly in Richardson or NW Dallas if that helps. I work in accounting and have automotive experience, so I've also been looking into the dealerships as well, which are all over.

I should note, I don't need to be next to all the bars and clubs, kind of been there, done that, just maybe once in a while hit a dive bar. If I go once a month right now, it's a lot.

Old 03-10-2012, 03:18 PM

I wouldn't move until I had a firm job offer. You don't want to limit yourself to an area and lose out on a great job in, say, Ft Worth. Patience!

Old 03-10-2012, 03:20 PM

That's what I'm hoping for, when I visit. I plan on doing interviews at that time, and then moving if I get an offer.

Ok a better question might be which places wouldn't suit me? (i.e. the "hip" places). I work in a "hip" area right now and it makes me want to scream.

Old 03-10-2012, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss J 74 View Post
That's what I'm hoping for, when I visit. I plan on doing interviews at that time, and then moving if I get an offer.

Ok a better question might be which places wouldn't suit me? (i.e. the "hip" places). I work in a "hip" area right now and it makes me want to scream.
Well that rules out the Bishop Arts District in Oak Cliff, all of Uptown in Dallas, maybe Deep Elum.
That leaves the whole rest of DFW. Lots of room to look.

Old 03-10-2012, 09:48 PM

690 posts, read 1,440,545 times
You definitely need to find the job first, the rest will be easy.
Texas workforce:
WorkInTexas.com Home: Helping Texans Work Better.

or any other internet job engine.

Keep us posted...Good Luck

Old 03-11-2012, 01:41 PM
zs4

15 posts, read 17,682 times
Come to Richardson...it has a great Queens, Brooklyn neighborhood feel, and very inexpensive. Lots of friendly and old people. Its close to downtown and and its not artsy fartsy at all. None of the hyped up Manhattan crap created by cornfed transplants from other parts of the country. I find Richardson to be real like old NY and especially Brooklyn.

Old 03-11-2012, 03:35 PM

I also have a friend who may move with me, she works in nursing. Which hospitals or centers should she check into for jobs? Or does it not matter?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or