Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2012, 01:14 PM

83 posts, read 169,412 times

Advertisements

Have you considered moving to North Irving/ Las Colinas. Los Colinas Elementary has an IB program. And the commute to North Grand Prairie wouldn't take anymore than an hour at rush hour. The Kessler Park neighborhood is pretty good, but with the construction taking place on IH30 it'd be best to visit the area to see if that would be an ideal commute for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2012, 01:49 PM

1,190 posts, read 2,636,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
I would not really want to discourage you from moving to Lakewood, because of course I think it is the most wonderful place on the planet - but if you did live in North Oak Cliff you can apply to Woodrow for IB - it's a little muddier what the process will be for IB MYP at J. L. Long - I know there are many transfers to Long but I am not sure about the particulars. There are good-sized groups from Hexter and Sanger (not in the feeder pattern) at Long. Hexter's mascot was even at the annual Long Run.

If you want to meet people in Lakewood a good place to hang out is Times Ten Winery.
I think her kiddo is only 4 so hopefully the Long/Woodrow mud would be sorted out before having to deal with it.

Old 03-16-2012, 09:27 AM

7 posts, read 9,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
Many people really like Colleyville and Southlake, and there is a sense of community there just like in more urban areas. Both suburbs are very pretty and have lots of green space, etc. The commute time to Grand Prairie would be significantly less from these towns. In the long run, I would think being able to have your husband at home more hours of the day, instead of him stuck in traffic, would be a real benefit.

What is your budget for housing?
ChristieP, our budget for housing is 400-500K so we could live in any area (Lakewood, M Streets, Colleyville, Soutlake) with varying degrees of comfort. The thing we're trying to determine is where will we be happiest given the commute, the schools and the social life. Unfortunately, there's not one neighborhood that fits that bill easily.

Old 03-16-2012, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirl View Post
rent in the Bishop Arts district/ North Oak Cliff area for a while and keep try to get your child into the North Hills Charter school. You never know, you may be one of the lucky ones! Check out the Uplift Charter schools.
Irving / North Hills Prep
We definitely looked at North Oak Cliff - and liked it a lot - but I don't really want to gamble with the education component.

Old 03-16-2012, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Considering Coming Back View Post
Where in Austin did you live or did you want to live? When you say Austin we most likley picture Sixth Street and will tell you to move to Greenville Avenue. But you could very well be coming from Round Rock and would fit in better in Flower Mound.
We live in the relatively new Mueller development, 5 miles north of the city. It's a great, lively, close-to-the-city neighborhood that's also challenged in terms of middle and high schools. We were planning to send our little one to private school before the Dallas opportunity came up. Lakewood/M Streets is likely the right area for us given what we're familiar with in ATX, but I can't shake the idea that a shorter commute and fantastic public schools in Tarrant County would be easier/better.

Old 03-16-2012, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
I would not really want to discourage you from moving to Lakewood, because of course I think it is the most wonderful place on the planet - but if you did live in North Oak Cliff you can apply to Woodrow for IB - it's a little muddier what the process will be for IB MYP at J. L. Long - I know there are many transfers to Long but I am not sure about the particulars. There are good-sized groups from Hexter and Sanger (not in the feeder pattern) at Long. Hexter's mascot was even at the annual Long Run.

If you want to meet people in Lakewood a good place to hang out is Times Ten Winery.
Thanks,Lakewooder. I love reading all of your posts throughout the forum. Part of what I love about the Lakewood area is the passion and support of its residents!

Old 03-16-2012, 09:38 AM

JennifW, I think I read that your children are in private school? (It's so strange how much everyone knows about others' lives on this forum, but oh well!) Are they in school in North Dallas or closer to Lakewood? I'd consider private school but driving to and from every day may be a bit tough for me because I work full-time. I work from home and have flexibility, but I also travel occasionally so wouldn't be able to drop-off/pick-up every day. That's actually the primary reason we wouldn't consider private school vs. the expense. Wherever we move, I'd like to be within walking distance of an elementary school so that someone can easily pick up my son and bring him back to our house. I'm less ok with a nanny driving to pick him up every day.

Boy, I never realized how complicated these things would be before having a child!

Old 03-16-2012, 09:39 AM

All, thanks so much for your insight! I'm grateful for the Dallas forum in general - there's so much good info here for a newbie!

Old 03-16-2012, 11:14 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,298,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keatonka View Post
We definitely looked at North Oak Cliff - and liked it a lot - but I don't really want to gamble with the education component.
How old are your kids? If they're young, Rosemont Elem in NOC is every bit as good as Lakewood Elem or Stonewall Jackson in East Dallas. You'd have 5-10 years to figure out a middle school game plan (private, charter, magnet, etc). If they're already in elementary, of course, that changes things.

Old 03-16-2012, 11:58 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,162,235 times
While I do engage in passionate hyperbole, my info is very up-to-date and as accurate as I can make it I am afraid some others here do not have the same experiences or are privy to such...if you would like a good look I would suggest you visit - two good opportunities coming up:

Lakewood News - Woodrow to host International Dignitaries at Symposium - Lakewood BubbleLife - The Online Home for Lakewood - Lakewood, Texas

White Rock Lake Weekly - Millie headed for Woodrow stage

Others really think of it as a "situation" - the fact that the 'smart' and 'affluent' kids from Lakewood and Stonewall attend middle and high school with some very poor (mostly 'minority') kids, many of whom are intelligent but haven't had the same background and opportunities. Some take advantage of what is offered at Long and Woodrow and some don't. But they have a wonderful chance that many others in similar circumstances do not. Even if they do not 'get' a good education at our schools we are stilll friends and that carries through life. I think that is a wonderful thing that you cannot quantify with numbers - something that outsiders have difficulty understanding.

Last edited by Lakewooder; 03-16-2012 at 12:17 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas