Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2012, 09:56 AM

7 posts, read 9,222 times

Advertisements

Hi all - thanks in advance for your help and insight!

Our family is moving from Austin to DFW and we'd love perspective on the best neighborhood to settle in. Coming from Austin - and having lived in major cities for the last 10 years - we think the the Lakewood area best suits our personality/meets our lifestyle interests. The two primary concerns are: 1) commute time, as my husband will be working in north Grand Prairie, just south of DFW and 2) schools, because we have a 4 year old. We know that Lakewood and Stonewall elementary schools are great but we are a bit wary of Long and WW (though we are quite interested in the IB program). Private schools in north Dallas are an option but I also work (from home and travel each month) so coordinating the drop off and pick up would be a bit complicated.

Moving to Colleyville/Southlake alleviates the commute AND school issues, but we'd like to stay closer to the city if possible. Am I being shortsighted in thinking that it is harder to meet people and feel a real sense of community in these neighborhoods?

The price of homes isn't an issue - though resale value is - as we can live comfortably in both areas.

Any thoughts on the best place to land, all things considered? Many thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2012, 10:06 AM

690 posts, read 1,729,309 times
Hello,

I must agree Lakewood is nice but similar to other people that inquire about the commute it might be
the attention getter. You say North Grand Prairie, that would mean you would be stuck in traffic around the downtown Dallas area on I-30 coming and going to work.

Colleyville, you would have to get on 360 and travel South to work. Commute should not
be to bad unless you travel south of Carrier parkway and 360 during peak traffic times.

Old 03-11-2012, 10:48 AM

3,478 posts, read 6,558,671 times
While I think Lakewood is pretty neat and unique, I don't think Southlake will be absolutely horrible...you can find a sense of community even in the cookie cutter suburbs.

Old 03-11-2012, 03:02 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,304,590 times
I'm kind of a central Dallas snob. I could not live outside loop 12. It just gets so bland.

Old 03-11-2012, 03:44 PM

11,855 posts, read 26,876,979 times
Many people really like Colleyville and Southlake, and there is a sense of community there just like in more urban areas. Both suburbs are very pretty and have lots of green space, etc. The commute time to Grand Prairie would be significantly less from these towns. In the long run, I would think being able to have your husband at home more hours of the day, instead of him stuck in traffic, would be a real benefit.

What is your budget for housing?

Old 03-11-2012, 03:59 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,688,447 times
rent in the Bishop Arts district/ North Oak Cliff area for a while and keep try to get your child into the North Hills Charter school. You never know, you may be one of the lucky ones! Check out the Uplift Charter schools.
http://www.uplifteducation.org//site...spx?PageID=103

Last edited by Squirl; 03-11-2012 at 05:26 PM.. Reason: added school link

Old 03-11-2012, 04:25 PM

264 posts, read 702,110 times
Traffic would not be bad from lakewood to north Grand Prairie. There are ways to circumvent to traffic on I-30. When I do drive that route, most days aren't bad.

Old 03-11-2012, 05:01 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,298,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirl View Post
rent in the Bishop Arts district/ North Oak Cliff area for a while and keep try to get your child into the North Hills Charter school. You never know, you may be one of the lucky ones! Check out the Uplift Charter schools.
This is a REALLY good suggestion because North Oak Cliff- specifically the Kessler Park & Stevens Park neighborhoods- were developed at the same time as Lakewood and share much of the same historical charm, but in a more hilly Austin-like setting. Rosemont Elem is similar to Lakewood, very good, but you would need to explore magnets or private come 6th grade. Lots of locally owned businesses and restaurants and a similar more liberal, diverse population.

This would put you about 15-20 min to GP, great commute without sacrificing the city environment you want.

Zip is 75208.

Old 03-12-2012, 11:53 AM

743 posts, read 1,320,776 times
Where in Austin did you live or did you want to live? When you say Austin we most likley picture Sixth Street and will tell you to move to Greenville Avenue. But you could very well be coming from Round Rock and would fit in better in Flower Mound.

Old 03-12-2012, 12:24 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,162,235 times
I would not really want to discourage you from moving to Lakewood, because of course I think it is the most wonderful place on the planet - but if you did live in North Oak Cliff you can apply to Woodrow for IB - it's a little muddier what the process will be for IB MYP at J. L. Long - I know there are many transfers to Long but I am not sure about the particulars. There are good-sized groups from Hexter and Sanger (not in the feeder pattern) at Long. Hexter's mascot was even at the annual Long Run.

If you want to meet people in Lakewood a good place to hang out is Times Ten Winery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas