U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 10:15 AM

6,908 posts, read 9,594,157 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW747 View Post
Check out the Eldorado neighborhood right off 75...you will be 5 minutes from historic Mc kinney in a highly desirable subdivision with character ,trees and rolling hills.Safe ,appropriate area for a family. I would not suggest historic Mc kinney....
to the OP: This is the opinion of most I know in McKinney that live in the newer areas west of 75. I differ, think the historic area is a great place to raise a family. Depends on if you want a homogeneous suburban experience or wouldn't mind something more eclectic. I have lived east of 75 for 8 years, have found it totally safe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2012, 03:55 PM

6,268 posts, read 12,118,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
to the OP: This is the opinion of most I know in McKinney that live in the newer areas west of 75. I differ, think the historic area is a great place to raise a family. Depends on if you want a homogeneous suburban experience or wouldn't mind something more eclectic. I have lived east of 75 for 8 years, have found it totally safe.
I'm one of those with an opinion that differs from yours. I don't think it has anything to do with "safety" really, it's simply that I don't see too many young families living in that area. I don't think I've ever seen kids playing out in yards on any of the times we've gone downtown for an afternoon/evening.

In contrast, in my neighborhood, there's a steady stream of kids running, biking, playing, etc. Not to mention, all the families out riding bikes together or walking their dogs. I've never seen that driving through the neighborhoods surrounding downtown.

Old 03-13-2012, 06:37 PM

1,282 posts, read 2,978,413 times
I wrote a long reply, and then somehow managed to delete it before posting So I will sum up.

I agree with SM, I think the historic district would be a fine place for a young family. It is a tight knit community and there are many things in walking/biking distance for kids to do....parks (finch park, mouzon park...town lake and the Heard aren't far), restaurants and fun stores on the Square (magic shop, toy store, candy shop, ice cream), theatre and dance classes at the MPAC, art classes at Mckinney Art House, adventure camps at Chestnut Square, festivals in the Square, etc. However, I also have to agree with MckOwner that there are not a large number of young families currently living in that area. I do think that they will increase in the coming years as the city continues to rejuvinate the area and diversify the entertainment, stores, and housing options as planned. But that is not the point the area is at now. Most of the historic homes are filled with the original owners (ie. elderly), empty nesters, or families with older children...not all, but most. Just something to be aware of if you are hoping to have a street filled with young children.

I personally can't speak to the schools, though I do know they have a very high percentage of economically disadvantaged students...so you would have to be comfortable with that. Through the grapevine, I have heard that Caldwell was always well-regarded in the community, but has gone down in recent years. Not sure if that is true or not. Best thing would be to drive around the area and chat with people you see out and about. Especially if you can catch a young family. Get their impression on the area's fit for them, and how they feel about the schools. And of course visit the school and see for yourself.

If you weren't quite comfortable with the school situation or the demographics, you could always look just across 75 at Eldorado neighborhood, as a PP mentioned. Great area, very pretty with lot of old growth trees and walking trails. Exemplary elem. Super quick to the Square...so you could (and would) still spend a lot of time there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or