Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2012, 10:51 PM

90 posts, read 182,626 times

Advertisements

Good bad ,ugly and great opinions appreciated. I don't quite understand the demographics there but would love to hear about this part of McKinney. It's so pretty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2012, 09:36 AM

2,346 posts, read 6,926,513 times
Historic McKinney has some very nice historic houses, with prices to match. But how many are there? 50? 100? Probably not more than that.

The point is, the entire historic district makes up but a small part of the attendance area for the local elementary school. The rest of that area consists of probably the poorest part of McKinney ISD. That produces a class profile that isn't typical for a homebuyer spending $300K-$500K or more.

Old 03-12-2012, 09:57 AM

5,872 posts, read 8,093,497 times
Historic McKinney has been undergoing a large and beautiful restoration. Some of the homes are really well done and reflect that in their pricing. Some are just banking off of the revival. There is not a lot of near by (walking distance) parks or children's areas, but that's not to say you can't drive to one. As far as elementary schools, you've got Burks, Caldwell and Vega. All but Caldwell are Recognized. All are at least 40 years old, but have been upgraded and have great staff, but still shows it's age. While "I" wouldn't say it's the most family friendly area, I do know several families that have moved there and love it. I would really suggest taking a tour of the schools and meeting with their PTA members, and really searching around the area. It really is very nice, but as for family friendly you'll have to decide on your own.

Old 03-12-2012, 09:57 AM

812 posts, read 2,183,874 times
Probably the highest crime rate is along McDonald (Hwy 5). There's also some Section 8 housing there, although it's new and kept well. Hispanic day labor shelter. Pawn shops, buy here pay here car lots, bail bond places.

I would suggest you park your car near where you want to live and walk around, both during the week and weekend. Maybe knock on a few doors to hear your potential neighbors' opinions.

I agree that the historic district is gorgeous

Old 03-12-2012, 10:44 AM

6,255 posts, read 17,097,598 times
Big G, txgolfer, and ggolf have given some good advice. If you're looking for a family friendly atmosphere though, I would suggest looking west of 75. There are an abundance of parks and HOA communities with pools, playgrounds, etc. The area of McKinney I live in, Winding Creek, is full of families with children. It's also just a quick drive to the downtown historic area, so that is easily accessible.

What kind of budget do you have?

Old 03-12-2012, 06:12 PM

90 posts, read 182,626 times
Thanks, we are paying cash for a home and want to stay in 250k range.

Old 03-12-2012, 08:01 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,859,079 times
If you stay west of McDonald (Kentucky maybe) and south of White Avenue, it is a totally safe area. The thing about the historic district is its eclectic nature. There are huge Victorians and other almost Colonial looking mansions going upwards of $1mil next to smaller cottages and some post war ranch types as well. I love that it isn't cookie cutter like the newer developments that most everyone else pines for west of 75.

Most of the area is zoned for McKinney Boyd HS which is considered the most desirable of the high schools (but nothing wrong with North or MHS either). I am all over this part of town on a regular basis and would highly recommend it. I chose it because it reminded me more of my hometown in GA than any of the sea of endless samey subdivisions you find in most of the rest of the metroplex.

Old 03-12-2012, 08:08 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,859,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txgolfer130 View Post
Historic McKinney has been undergoing a large and beautiful restoration. Some of the homes are really well done and reflect that in their pricing. Some are just banking off of the revival. There is not a lot of near by (walking distance) parks or children's areas, but that's not to say you can't drive to one. As far as elementary schools, you've got Burks, Caldwell and Vega. All but Caldwell are Recognized. All are at least 40 years old, but have been upgraded and have great staff, but still shows it's age. While "I" wouldn't say it's the most family friendly area, I do know several families that have moved there and love it. I would really suggest taking a tour of the schools and meeting with their PTA members, and really searching around the area. It really is very nice, but as for family friendly you'll have to decide on your own.
Did you mean Finch on South Tennessee instead of Vega? Vega is a newer school north of 380 and west of 75.

Old 03-12-2012, 11:33 PM

1,315 posts, read 2,680,430 times
Check out the Eldorado neighborhood right off 75...you will be 5 minutes from historic Mc kinney in a highly desirable subdivision with character ,trees and rolling hills.Safe ,appropriate area for a family. I would not suggest historic Mc kinney....

Old 03-13-2012, 08:56 AM

5,872 posts, read 8,093,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
Did you mean Finch on South Tennessee instead of Vega? Vega is a newer school north of 380 and west of 75.

LOL, yes Finch elementary. Don't know why I put down Vega.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas