U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2012, 12:40 PM

33 posts, read 72,055 times

Advertisements

Thank you for the replies, to those that are laughing at me.. that's not kind, I had a genuine concern/question and was seeking answers and opinions not insults.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2012, 12:58 PM

2,206 posts, read 3,796,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
frankly there has not been a long enough history of shale drilling in existance for any serious cancer studies to have been developed...
that it just scare tactics...
you probably won't believe my comment but ANY serious/documented/well-designed environmental study related to cancer and its causes takes YEARS==preferably decades to develop and chart the time line...
nothing like that has taken place regarding drilling in fields for Barnett shale which is for NATURAL GAS--
they are not drilling for gasoline like people put in their cars...
You really do not know what you are talking about.

We've been drilling for oil for over 100 years. Usually oil and gas are found together, but not always.

Fracking was invented in the 1950s and commercialized in the 60s. I dated the daughter of the Phillips PHD who helped invent it and got to spend some time around the pressure multipliers when I was in HS. They fracked back then for oil and natural gas. Not a lot has changed in the basic process. There have been some advances in drilling and in the details of fracking lately, but its been going on for over 50 years.

If you know anything about geology and rock layers, you would understand how hard it is for ANY fluid to move between rock layers. We know very well which fractional distillates are teratogens or carcinogens and we know quite a bit about how they move in the air and in the water table. These have been studied in both the well/water table and in general environmental terms as well since the 60s. By both the oil firms, the EPA, the USGS, and many universities. Even the very careful Canadians are on this too.

This is not something new someone pulled out of their booty when they fell off the turnip truck.

There are two plays going on right now with respect to fracking in shale. One is Natural Gas and the other is Oil. Both are present in TX. The natural gas gets the press as its a big deal in the DFW area, but in West TX, PA, ND, and UT, oil is the big story with over a trillion barrels now recoverable - making the USA the number one nation in the world with proven oil reserves. The US is a net exporter of natural gas and will probably be self sufficient in Oil by the end of the decade.

If the Federal government leased out public lands for oil production, the resulting royalties would pay off the National Debt. Not just erase the deficit, but end the debt.

Fixes for US financial problems - a little austerity and a lot of oil

Old 03-14-2012, 01:03 PM

2,206 posts, read 3,796,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bozzie View Post
Thank you for the replies, to those that are laughing at me.. that's not kind, I had a genuine concern/question and was seeking answers and opinions not insults.
I did not mean to insult you.

You can read about it here. NBF is fair and balanced about this kind of stuff.

More Details on Super fracking

They have a lot of articles on NG and oil production.

IMHO the biggest issue we face today are the fine particulates problem.

We've wasted a lot of time on SO2 when the real issue was fine particulates.

Particulates from coal and oil pollution increases heart disease in women

Old 03-14-2012, 01:19 PM

1,005 posts, read 3,309,064 times
It's probably safe when done correctly. I'd be concerned that some minimum wage grunt who doesn't care releases toxic chemicals carelessly.

Lots of Texans are short range NIMBYs who care about resale more than if someone two miles away get sick from sloppy handling of toxic chemicals.

Personally, I'd be concerned about the visual pollution of those ugly drilling sites.

Old 03-14-2012, 01:27 PM

4,128 posts, read 13,169,421 times
Quote:
Your concerns are genuine as a mother. Just put yourself in the shoes of some people when they say that they have concerns about moving to California because of earthquakes and landslides.

Thank god that the majority of the posters of Citidata don't depict the mentality of most people living in DFW. It's a big melting pot and a nice place to live.

Naima

Old 03-14-2012, 01:38 PM

1 posts, read 1,267 times
Default Thanks for bringing it up!

Quote:
I am glad you asked the question, bozzie! I am also from CA and that was something that I was bothered by. I know nothing about drilling (why would I?) and I am also a mother so it is something to be concerned about. I was also worried about all the talk of lead when I researched air quality. I don't want to move my family somewhere that will be bad for their health. Yours was a completely valid question.

Old 03-15-2012, 08:12 PM

33 posts, read 72,055 times
Thanks, just feeling a little sensitive with this impending move and three young kids ( one being a newborn) so wanted to know more about the drilling.

Old 03-16-2012, 10:50 AM

956 posts, read 1,248,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TX75007 View Post
You really do not know what you are talking about.

We've been drilling for oil for over 100 years. Usually oil and gas are found together, but not always.

Fracking was invented in the 1950s and commercialized in the 60s. I dated the daughter of the Phillips PHD who helped invent it and got to spend some time around the pressure multipliers when I was in HS. They fracked back then for oil and natural gas. Not a lot has changed in the basic process. There have been some advances in drilling and in the details of fracking lately, but its been going on for over 50 years.

If you know anything about geology and rock layers, you would understand how hard it is for ANY fluid to move between rock layers. We know very well which fractional distillates are teratogens or carcinogens and we know quite a bit about how they move in the air and in the water table. These have been studied in both the well/water table and in general environmental terms as well since the 60s. By both the oil firms, the EPA, the USGS, and many universities. Even the very careful Canadians are on this too.

This is not something new someone pulled out of their booty when they fell off the turnip truck.

There are two plays going on right now with respect to fracking in shale. One is Natural Gas and the other is Oil. Both are present in TX. The natural gas gets the press as its a big deal in the DFW area, but in West TX, PA, ND, and UT, oil is the big story with over a trillion barrels now recoverable - making the USA the number one nation in the world with proven oil reserves. The US is a net exporter of natural gas and will probably be self sufficient in Oil by the end of the decade.

If the Federal government leased out public lands for oil production, the resulting royalties would pay off the National Debt. Not just erase the deficit, but end the debt.

Fixes for US financial problems - a little austerity and a lot of oil
Thanks for your input, very informative and very interesting.
I follow the industry closely, but primarily as an investor.
It's been my understandingt that George Michell, a native of Galveston, TX, and his company Michell energy (bought years ago by OK-City based Devon) was the first to use fracking technolgy on a large-scale, commercial basis and that was of course in the Barnett in North Texas ? Not saying he developed the technology, just the first big-time user of the technique ? True or false ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or