U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2012, 11:41 AM

33 posts, read 72,017 times

Advertisements

We are considering a move to the plano area for a job offer my husband has been given( we only have about a week to decide) and I have been trying to research the area. We are currently in northern CA.
I was very concerned to see that there is an increased rate of breast cancer and leukemia in counties where the shale drilling is taking place.. related to the chemicals used for extraction such as benzene.
Could you please tell me if there is or will be shale drilling in Collin County?
Are there environmental hazzards I should know about in the area or particular areas to avoid? Is the air quality truly that bad? We have young children and I want to be cautious. Thank you very much for any insight you may have, I really appreciate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2012, 11:48 AM

2,206 posts, read 3,795,140 times
LOL

Just more scaremongering by people who do not know any better.

There is drilling everywhere in North Texas.

More benzene is released in the air when you fill up your gas tank than when you live near a well.

Old 03-12-2012, 11:52 AM

5,774 posts, read 6,658,333 times
Not directly in the area of Plano that you'll be in. However there is the Barnett Shale and drilling to the West of Plano.

You can read some topics here:
Gas Drilling in NW Dallas area?

Old 03-13-2012, 12:44 PM

7,292 posts, read 8,128,081 times
I'm doing a double face-palm right now.

Old 03-13-2012, 01:19 PM

5,955 posts, read 7,500,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TX75007 View Post
LOL

Just more scaremongering by people who do not know any better.

There is drilling everywhere in North Texas.

More benzene is released in the air when you fill up your gas tank than when you live near a well.
This is correct in my experience as well. News stories written by liberal arts majors dont always put context into so called news stories. For example, how deep a resource defines how far from drinking water the fracting is and how many geological layers are between the fracking area and level human life interact with. Gasoline stations capture gasoline vapors with a cuff around the tank opening but if one fills a lawnmower gas can or accidently spills, that is when benzene and tolulene can come into contact with people.

Tx is a very diverse place with a good economy for this mess we find the global financial situation.

Old 03-13-2012, 01:27 PM

27,534 posts, read 44,987,445 times
frankly there has not been a long enough history of shale drilling in existance for any serious cancer studies to have been developed...
that it just scare tactics...
you probably won't believe my comment but ANY serious/documented/well-designed environmental study related to cancer and its causes takes YEARS==preferably decades to develop and chart the time line...
nothing like that has taken place regarding drilling in fields for Barnett shale which is for NATURAL GAS--
they are not drilling for gasoline like people put in their cars...

Old 03-13-2012, 05:09 PM

931 posts, read 1,745,034 times
As long as it helps the economy and keeps electricity and natural gas low I am for it. I believe for the most part that people who drill do so responsibly at least I trust them more than politicians

Old 03-13-2012, 06:00 PM

5,681 posts, read 9,675,206 times
I thought I read somewhere recently about a study that debunked all the oil shale health scares.... But which one do you really believe? Yeesh! One can always buy bottled water I suppose.

Old 03-14-2012, 12:21 PM

766 posts, read 1,302,472 times
From the responses, you may want to rethink a relocation to Dallas (or Texas) if this is something you are really concerned about. All chemical data is subjective - one study says you'll increase your likihood of cancer by 15% in your lifetime, the next study says it's less than 1%. (It's all about the 'likihood and duration of exposure'.) You'll get hit by a car, or you won't. You will likely have little sympathy for any environmental concerns you may have regarding drilling for energy - Texas is proudly a bare minimum state when it comes to environmental regs, nothing like California. However, if there's a battery recycling plant in an affluent suburb not meeting 21st century regulations, the NIMBYs will emerge.

Old 03-14-2012, 12:27 PM

9,289 posts, read 5,790,770 times
If you don't like drilling, stay in California.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or