U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 03:52 PM

469 posts, read 740,243 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT3x View Post
I'm not sure if a UNT BFA is really worth the effort...

UNT is basically every DFW high school grad's emergency backup school. Even from a good school, most BFA degrees aren't worth the paper they're printed on nowadays.
haha for some reason UNT didn't accept me but UTA did (and UTA is harder to get into I think)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2012, 08:02 PM

69 posts, read 96,626 times
UNT I went there and really enjoyed it.

Old 03-16-2012, 05:01 AM

118 posts, read 244,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT3x View Post
I'm not sure if a UNT BFA is really worth the effort...

UNT is basically every DFW high school grad's emergency backup school. Even from a good school, most BFA degrees aren't worth the paper they're printed on nowadays.

Are you saying a MFA is better? Or are you saying anyhing Art related is a waste of time?

Old 03-16-2012, 07:50 PM

178 posts, read 314,281 times
neither are highly regarded schools. UT and A&M are head and shoulders the best public universities in the state and A&M doesn't offer BFAs. i cant for the life of me understand why anyone would want to pay out-of-state tuition to go to a mediocre public school in texas for a fine arts degree. you'd be way better of staying where you are.

scenarios like this are why i think we have too many colleges in this country and not enough trade schools.

Old 03-19-2012, 01:45 AM

27 posts, read 41,165 times
UNT is known for their music program, especially Jazz in which a lot of people come out of state for. They also have a growing presence in health with their Health Science centers. It has a traditional college campus feel.

UTA is known for their engineering programs which attract a lot of students here on visas. It has a commuter school feel and is growing due to competing for Tier 1 status and an expanding business school.

Unless I was in one of these programs or had a nice scholarship, I wouldn't bother applying knowing I'd be paying out of state tuition.

Old 03-19-2012, 01:18 PM

Well I can understand where some of you are coming from. Yes they are state schools, however your out of state tuition rate is my in state/regional rate when it comes to those type of schools.

I just thought I would get a better experience there instead of staying here I am now and paying to live with roommates. But if those schools are not highly regarded or useful for Graphic Design then I might have to reconsider.

It's funny though, the college advisor/admissions person on the phone for UNT told me the Communication Design has a 100% sucess rate....then again he is probably being paid to say that.

Old 03-26-2012, 05:07 AM

27 posts, read 41,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enquiring Minds View Post
... the college advisor/admissions person on the phone for UNT told me the Communication Design has a 100% sucess rate....then again he is probably being paid to say that.
When I was working as a paid intern in the tech industry, I made more per year on an hourly basis than what a Counselor would on a yearly salary. I know because I saw the job posting on the college job board by mistake (I was actually searching for the student job board).

Old 03-26-2012, 05:15 AM

9,507 posts, read 19,515,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enquiring Minds View Post
It's funny though, the college advisor/admissions person on the phone for UNT told me the Communication Design has a 100% sucess rate....then again he is probably being paid to say that.
success rate for WHAT? Speaking as an HR professional, the Communications degree doesn't prepare you for anything in the working world. Well, giving presentations, but nothing else! If you want a degree that will get you a job, get a BBA.

Old 03-26-2012, 07:32 AM

27,512 posts, read 44,973,761 times
did you do a Google search for something more independent than calling a school's registrar's office?
note that some of these schools are extremely selective--the Harvard and Yale of the graphic design world

18 Excellent Design Schools From Around the World | Psdtuts+ (http://psd.tutsplus.com/articles/web/18-excellent-design-schools-from-around-the-world/ - broken link)

Best Graphic Design Programs | Top Graphic Design Schools | US NewS

Top 50 Graphic Design Schools and Colleges Top Graphic Arts Design Designer Schools, Web Design Schools Online

Top Design Schools & Tips For Choosing One | JUST
read the comments section after the list of schools which just repeats those on other lists--and the info about why employers check your school background as much as your portfolio when hiring...

Some schools might be better for different formats than others--like designing for video/computer games, digital media, marketing/brand identity, etc.

There are even special programs for people who do medical illustrations and courtroom drawings--since most trials don't allow flash cameras inside courtroom there are artists in there every day at big trials making illustrations...

this is interesting interview with man who teaches graphic arts at UCLA's program--

Professor Peter Lunenfeld of UCLA Talks Graphic Design, Media and Art with Education-Portal.com

have a plan for where you want to be in 5 yrs and 10 yrs down the road--understand your strengths and weaknesses and try to find a program that will help you improve both
college education is expensive--you don't want to overspend for mediocre training--and you need to be objective about your own artistic ability--without a natural talent to support/empower your classroom training, you might struggle with the more creative demands of this field....

maybe you don't even need a college degree--maybe a quality technical school would be better fit
just don't choose one that is more about taking your money than giving you skills...

Last edited by loves2read; 03-26-2012 at 07:46 AM..

Old 03-28-2012, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
success rate for WHAT? Speaking as an HR professional, the Communications degree doesn't prepare you for anything in the working world. Well, giving presentations, but nothing else! If you want a degree that will get you a job, get a BBA.
I understand what you are saying but I thought the point of going to college was so you can get a job doing something you enjoy? That's part of the American dream. I could easily study to be a doctor, lawyer, etc but if I have no interest in any of that then what is the point?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or