Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 05:49 AM

40,939 posts, read 49,076,141 times

Advertisements

Noticed in your previous post you're married. My wife would have me out getting it taken care of even if I had to walk to the mechanics shop to do some trading or work to get it fixed.

Is your husband disabled ?

Last edited by Rakin; 03-13-2012 at 06:23 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2012, 06:28 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,234,925 times
I normally wouldnt give this advice, but can you charge the car repairs on a credit card? I'm guessing you do need the new job to be able to afford the repairs? You could pay it off after the 1st paycheck is cut.

Also, I don't know if the car is old/unreliable or if this is a fluke thing, but I'd be wary of taking a job that is s far from home and may not have easy public transit. You could end up missing a lof of work and get fired.

One of the options we've put forth- bus routes & transfers, selling plasma or pawning something to get cash for taxi or car repairs, etc, ONE of them has to be a viable option.

Old 03-13-2012, 06:34 AM

40,939 posts, read 49,076,141 times
LMK... I'm in Irving. Would you like me to come by and take a look at your car? Maybe if the wheel fell off you're just missing $2 worth of lug nuts.

If I have the time I might be able to give you a ride to you're 1st day of work.

Tell us your solution ?

Old 03-13-2012, 08:09 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,657,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
LMK... I'm in Irving. Would you like me to come by and take a look at your car? Maybe if the wheel fell off you're just missing $2 worth of lug nuts.

If I have the time I might be able to give you a ride to you're 1st day of work.

Tell us your solution ?

Wow, Rakin! What a good neighbor you are! The OP has jumped thru hoops trying to get her life together.....been following her posts...saving for over a year to move to the DFW area. And, if I recall, they likely have just one vehicle, DH probably can bus to his work.

Euless to Irving is not far, in response to another Poster, and since she is renting short term in Irving she could easily move closer to new job.

Old 03-13-2012, 08:19 AM

219 posts, read 333,372 times
thanks i owe it to you. all the referrals you gave me helped i went in and got the jobs lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
Good news on the job front!
I agree with nurse 101: sell stuff on Craig's List, pawn stuff, sell plasma, etc.
Most places will let you roll back orientation one week, but that's all.

Old 03-13-2012, 08:23 AM

yes rakin is being very generous. i looked and dh can bus to school and work with several transfers but im kinda sol on the subject. the car was perfectly fine. when we got here we paid all our lease up and the utilities for 6 months and now when we finally get the ball rolling this happens. I'm pretty bummed actually. it took us so long to get here and when we finally do this happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirl View Post
Wow, Rakin! What a good neighbor you are! The OP has jumped thru hoops trying to get her life together.....been following her posts...saving for over a year to move to the DFW area. And, if I recall, they likely have just one vehicle, DH probably can bus to his work.

Euless to Irving is not far, in response to another Poster, and since she is renting short term in Irving she could easily move closer to new job.

Old 03-13-2012, 08:23 AM

11,836 posts, read 26,795,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmykids08_10 View Post
thanks i owe it to you. all the referrals you gave me helped i went in and got the jobs lol
Awesome!!! those are all good places to work !

Old 03-13-2012, 08:26 AM

dh drove the car after i came home yesterday. I paid someone to fix the side the tire came off of and it still is running funny to me like the other side is going to fall off. but he says we just need a wheel alignment because when you turn the steering wheel it keeps turning on its own. im seriously scared to make a left turn though because i dont want the driver side front wheel to fall off and we are without a car because the police has to tow it out the street cause we'll be more screwed than we are now. right now the car is in our apartment parking lot and only needs someone to come and fix it but if we drive it and the wheel fall off we're without a car completely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post

Tell us your solution ?

Old 03-13-2012, 08:30 AM

is this even possible to be able to walk where it says taxi?

Irving, TX to Euless, TX - Google Maps

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazyn View Post
TRE is the light rail that goes from Irving to Euless. Have you tried putting the two addresses in google and searching bus routes?

You will have to make transfers. It's a PITA sometimes, but it's what you have to do if it is possible. I do it every day, going to work. With a car it takes me 20 mins to get to work, but I had to sell it. It now takes me 1.25 to 1.5 hrs each way and I walk roughly 1.5 miles per day....it sucks but it's cheap and it's all I have right now and I'm grateful for that

Irving, TX to Euless, TX - Google Maps

Old 03-13-2012, 08:34 AM

I know but now i cant pick or choose because i didnt ask wages. i dont know why i didnt but with all 4 job offers i want to pick the one that pays more with benefits(i know its like $250 per paycheck) but i dont like state insurance and i love paying for my kids and i insurance it makes me feel good about myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
Awesome!!! those are all good places to work !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas