U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 11:25 AM

2,487 posts, read 5,615,703 times

Advertisements

Honestly- if you love where you are at now and are comfortable with the sacrifice of the DH traveling- then I would stay right where you are at. Don't get me wrong Texas is a great place- but so is Kansas. Every place has the pros and cons.

If you choose to move here- and then find out it's not like "home" then you will consistently compare what you had to what you have which in turn can cause more issues then it's worth.

You can still stay together as a family and travel for work.
Good luck to you and your family.

Last edited by LQQKOUT; 03-13-2012 at 11:41 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2012, 11:33 AM

6,947 posts, read 18,871,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movefromkansas View Post
Hi, thank you for your reply. We are from Overland Park, I can work remotely from home . We dont have any extended family in United States so it is pretty much us. I want all 4 of us to stay together can manage kids alone for a year but if there are plans to move I want to do it sooner than later.
So, if you can keep your job and still move, I suggest you sell the house and move here. You'll make up for the $35k loss in a couple of years because you will elimininate the double housing and travel costs. Your children will fare better with Dad at home every day. Don't worry about the school thing. There are lots of studies that show kids rise ( or fall) to the educational expectations the schools provide.

Old 03-13-2012, 01:05 PM

7,458 posts, read 8,313,660 times
Quote:
thank you, My son is in 2nd grade now and he is considered as advanced in his class almost to 4rth grade starting level.
All the aquaintainces I talked to in Dallas (most of them live in Irwing/plano area) they say that their kids read books by their 3rd birthday and do addition problems, my son did it when he is 5. My daughter will be 3 soon and she knows very few alphabets and very few numbers.
So getting scared that if I put my kids in school with kids in such advanced level my kids might suffer.
That's a lot more data to go on.

1. I wasn't trying to be mean/harsh.
2. Overland Park is a nice area with good schools - my guess is your kids would be fine down here.
3. Kids reading early is fine and good as your kids are very young I'd move them without hesitation if the other parts of your lives dictate that moving is right for you.

Best of luck.......

Old 03-13-2012, 01:14 PM

7,458 posts, read 8,313,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carroll4628 View Post
I think this is a little harsh - you can care about education without putting you children in Saturday schools or math camps throughout the summer in order to "keep on pace". A child learning to read is like a marathon. Some do 5 minute miles and others train and train to get to a 10 minute mile - either way, both are successful for starting and completing the race, however long it takes. Hard work can only take you so far until you hit genetics OR genetics can only take you so far until you hit hard work. If you have both, your very happy whatever you're doing. A lot of good "education" happens outside the school. Yes, there are parents (in every 'highly rated' school district training the next generation of highly-educated "worker bees", but there are some who still value creativity and intrinsic motiviation.
With respect - I believe thinking like yours is why much of our population is behind the economic "eight-ball" so to speak and this problem will get worse not better. How far does creativity get one towards and engineering or medical career? A kid who wanders through high school with a 3.20 who decides he wants to become a doctor is in for a rude awakening. Is it possible? Sure. is it likely? Absolutely not.

The fact of the matter is our kids in some ways are well behind kids from other first world countries. Creativity won't help much. Increased levels of expectation and hard work will.

Old 03-13-2012, 03:37 PM

766 posts, read 1,316,566 times
Creativity got me a long ways in engineering (remediation). IMO - there are two types of engineers, those who do the analysis (number crunching) and those who define the problems, look for alternative solutions, effectively communicate with a client. A big thing for a lot of engineers - they know what they're doing, they just can't communicate it very well to a lawyer, city council member or anyone not an engineer. My husband is in finance/strategic planning and he has the same problem - PhDs that can't put together a coherent 30 min, 10min, or 5min presentation for a board of directors. They're smart alright, but they're being told what to do because they're either so focused on the details or they think of a thousand what-ifs and are paralyzed by the "what-ifs" when it comes to decision making. Taking a data set and presenting it in various ways to different audiences is a creative skill, and not everyone does this very well I've learned. Which group do I want my kids in? or better yet, Which group do my kids want to be a part of? at some point it's their life, not mine.

Old 03-14-2012, 08:14 AM

7 posts, read 17,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
That's a lot more data to go on.

1. I wasn't trying to be mean/harsh.
2. Overland Park is a nice area with good schools - my guess is your kids would be fine down here.
3. Kids reading early is fine and good as your kids are very young I'd move them without hesitation if the other parts of your lives dictate that moving is right for you.

Best of luck.......
Thank you All, just scared to move out of the comfortable zone we are in right now.

Old 03-14-2012, 11:37 AM

10,553 posts, read 16,952,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LQQKOUT View Post
Honestly- if you love where you are at now and are comfortable with the sacrifice of the DH traveling- then I would stay right where you are at. Don't get me wrong Texas is a great place- but so is Kansas. Every place has the pros and cons.

If you choose to move here- and then find out it's not like "home" then you will consistently compare what you had to what you have which in turn can cause more issues then it's worth.

You can still stay together as a family and travel for work.
Good luck to you and your family.
I agree with this post. OP really sounds happy in Kansas.

Old 03-14-2012, 01:32 PM

6,947 posts, read 18,871,169 times
Quote:
Thank you All, just scared to move out of the comfortable zone we are in right now.
No pain, no gain!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or