U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2012, 05:58 PM

59 posts, read 67,354 times

Advertisements

Hi.

We have received and accepted the relocation offer from my husband's company. He will be going to Dallas very soon and we will follow over the summer.

We are relocating from Tennessee and have 2 children. We have a 6th grader who does well acedemically but struggles socially. He is just behind in his maturity and some anxiety and depression. We have considered at multiple different times holding him back a year so he can be a bit more on his maturity level but for multiple reasons we have not done this.

I am now strongly considering holding him back when we move. Does anyone have an experience in this subject and if the school systems will work with me on this or if I even have any input?

Feedback welcome.
Mindi
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2012, 08:15 PM

766 posts, read 1,305,967 times
Moving is going to be a large enough adjustment for your 6th grader. (He will be entering 7th next fall?). I'm not sure I would add to that transition. You might want to wait a year and see how he adjusts. Middle School is such a transition period for kids anyway. I would be concerned about finding an area/school that supports any outside interests he has - sports, acedemic clubs, music, etc.

But, on the other hand, I've heard from my sister-in-law, that boys are sometimes held back from starting Kindergarten until they are 6 yrs old (instead of 5 yrs) here in Texas. So, it's possible that your son would not be the "oldest child" in his grade. I haven't been here long enough to witness this personally and my sister-in-law lives in College Station, so I'm not sure if it's the case here.

Old 03-14-2012, 09:11 PM

5,092 posts, read 9,620,887 times
Mindi -- schools here (Dallas area, and Texas in general) are a HUGE deal.

Some are okay . . and some are . . . . not so okay.

You really (really, really) need to look very carefully the school district and individual schools you are considering.

Big Deal.

Old 03-14-2012, 10:55 PM

4 posts, read 4,097 times
Mindi, it depends on school. Where are you guys thinking to live?

Old 03-14-2012, 11:31 PM

We are not sure on exact location. My husband will start on march 26. His office location has not been set. He will visit offices in the DFW area and determine which one he would like to work from. Much of his time will be spent traveling all over. So I will not know for at least 2 weeks a more localized area.

We are having a parent teacher conference in 2 weeks to get current teachers thoughts. I have already talked with the 6th grade principal and she feels it would be a great thing for him. She also thinks it would be a good time to do it. Start fresh.

I am concerned with the schools in Texas and how far advanced they may be. He is very immature but also very smart. He is on the principals list this 9 weeks and hasnt studied for a test and never has homework that I am aware of. I am concerned about his study habits or lack there of.

I hope if the current staff recommend repeating that the school might be more likely to agree?

Old 03-14-2012, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip T View Post
Mindi -- schools here (Dallas area, and Texas in general) are a HUGE deal.

Some are okay . . and some are . . . . not so okay.

You really (really, really) need to look very carefully the school district and individual schools you are considering.

Big Deal.
What do you look at? Exemplary rating?

Old 03-15-2012, 05:30 AM

578 posts, read 1,213,622 times
I don't think any school here will pose a problem if you wish your son to repeat 6th grade. And he will be in good company because holding back is a big trend here in the DFW, especially boys. My 8th grade daughter who is 13 1/2 tells me she has classmates who can drive themselves to school!

If you have already noticed that he is socially immature, it will only become more pronounced in the middle school years. And with the move it will be a great time to take advantage of letting him repeat.

Best of luck with your decision.

Old 03-15-2012, 11:05 AM

19,651 posts, read 53,664,683 times
You can also check schools on www.GreatSchools.net (http://www.GreatSchools.net - broken link) for ratings of schools within a state but not state against state.

Old 03-15-2012, 01:03 PM

Does anyone know where I can find what the Texas 6th grade objectives are? I would like to have that for his current teachers to look at?

Old 03-15-2012, 01:37 PM

229 posts, read 397,407 times
Texas Education Agency - Texas Essential Knowledge and Skills

Here's a link to the Texas curriculum. Im not sure where to find specifics for 6th grade as ive only looked at lower grades but im sure its there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or