U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2012, 11:49 PM

8 posts, read 14,056 times

Advertisements

I posted a while back regarding homes for $140,000 or less in the Dallas area.

After reviewing the responses and looking farther, Richardson really seems like our ideal city as far as affordability, diversity, good schools, and location are concerned. However, all of the houses I have seen in our price range are ranch style homes. Are there homes in Richardson (or in RISD) that are not ranch style within our price range?

I really like look of the homes in North Oak Cliff or East Dallas, but I am worried about the schools and safety of the areas where we could actually afford to buy a house.

Thank you so much for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2012, 08:41 AM

9,530 posts, read 19,600,524 times
The problem is your price range. It's pretty low for DFW. And when you want good schools, too, that makes it even tougher. You might have to settle if Richardson is really where you want to be.

Old 03-15-2012, 10:36 AM

2,487 posts, read 5,593,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrami View Post

I really like look of the homes in North Oak Cliff or East Dallas, but I am worried about the schools and safety of the areas where we could actually afford to buy a house.

Thank you so much for your help.
What is wrong with East Dallas- or East Dallas County areas???

Old 03-16-2012, 05:58 AM

23,636 posts, read 31,309,626 times
Pretty much all of Richardson in your price range is going to be ranch houses. There are some condos and townhouses here, but not many.

Old 03-17-2012, 10:28 AM

8 posts, read 14,056 times
Okay, well as first-time home buyers on a budget I guess we can't afford to be too picky.

What are some good neighborhoods to look into? I read Richardson Heights and Canyon Creek were good ones. Canyon Creek seems out of our price range but Richardson Heights looks promising.

We'd like to purchase a home for around $140,000 and update it when my husband graduates from school and gets a full time job. In which neighborhoods would it be possible to purchase at that price and worthwhile to invest in upgrades?

Old 03-17-2012, 10:40 AM

9,530 posts, read 19,600,524 times
If you could get into the college streets (Yale, etc.) for your price range, that is a nice neighborhood. You also might consider renting until after your husband graduates and finds a job. DFW is a big area, and if he gets a job in Arlington, you will have to move because the commute would be horribly long.

Old 03-17-2012, 04:14 PM

23,636 posts, read 31,309,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
If you could get into the college streets (Yale, etc.) for your price range, that is a nice neighborhood. You also might consider renting until after your husband graduates and finds a job. DFW is a big area, and if he gets a job in Arlington, you will have to move because the commute would be horribly long.
This. Rent first.

Richardson Heights and Heights Park (where I live) are both terrific neighborhoods with lovely homes and great schools, but I don't think you're ready to buy a house yet.

Old 03-26-2012, 03:07 PM

382 posts, read 460,845 times
Someone told me they live in "The Heights" - is this the same area? I google mapped The Heights, but no luck. Would you please provide the boardering streets to the N, E, S, and W for reference?

Old 03-26-2012, 04:27 PM

10,222 posts, read 16,798,009 times
Here is a link to the Richardson Heights Homeowners Association (voluntary, not a real HOA). The site isn't updated but it has a neighborhood map which is still good.

About RHHA

The Heights Park neighborhood is located in the northwest area of Richardson, bordered on the north and south by Arapaho Road and Beltline Road and on the east and west by Custer Road and Thompson Road.

Old 03-27-2012, 06:28 PM

382 posts, read 460,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
Here is a link to the Richardson Heights Homeowners Association (voluntary, not a real HOA)...
Debsi, thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or