U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2012, 12:26 PM

2 posts, read 1,751 times

Advertisements

Hi,
We will be relocating to TX next month. My husband will be working in Irving (North O'Connor Boulevard Irving, 75039). We have 2 kids - 5 yrs and 2 yrs. We are trying to decide on a town to live in. Ideally we would like to rent the first year or so and then buy a home. We would like to rent in a town where we would most likely end up buying, so the kids get to continue to go to the same schools and have same friends (maybe). Basically keep things as less disruptive as possible for them. I'm currently not working, but plan to soon. We would like to keep the commute to and from work as short as possible - 30 - 45 mins max.
From the research I've done so far, school district wise, Coppell - flower mound seemed like nice burbs. Was wondering about Frisco too.

How is the commute like, realistically, to North O'Connor Boulevard, Irving from these towns?

Are there any other good places to consider? Looking for family centric, good school districts. Towns that offer good recreations and activities for kids. Also, some diversity in demographics would be nice for the kids growing-up.

We may be able to afford homes around 350k, especially, once I start working. In the mean time we'd like to rent for around $1300/month.

Any pointers are sincerely appreciated. Thanks!!
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2012, 03:16 PM

9,517 posts, read 19,555,408 times
Frisco is a long way from Irving, and the drive is on a toll road. I'd take it off your list.

Coppell and North Irving are both great areas that are very close to your husband's office. The name for that part of Irving is Valley Ranch.

Flower Mound will be a more lengthy commute due to the town having only a couple of roads leading out,and heavy traffic on them as a result.

Old 03-15-2012, 04:20 PM

6,947 posts, read 18,723,076 times
in general $1300 rentals won't be in the same neighborhood as $350k houses....so you'll move twice and very likely change schools. That is just reality and it will be fine. To ease into life just find a place in North Irvingthat is serviced by a good elementary school and give yourselves a year to learn the area. Don't make your husband put up with a new job and a terrible commute under the fantasy of making a renting decision based on a future house purchase. In general all the elemntary schools in zip codes 75063 and 75039 should be fine.

I also recommend you look into North Hills Prep charter school in Irving, its a lottery application system but a real score for anyone whose child gets in and younger siblings automatically get in!

Old 03-15-2012, 04:23 PM

29,978 posts, read 34,607,289 times
For $350k, Flower Mound & Coppell would be great.

For $1300 a month lease maybe Lewisville, Carrollton or Grapevine.

Note the demand for lease homes is huge right now, you might need to increase your budget to $2000 a month or get an apartment for that money.

Old 03-15-2012, 08:57 PM

2 posts, read 1,751 times
Thanks for the suggestions. All your comments are helpful in making a decision. My husband's suggestion was along Squirl's line to rent initially where the commute would be a non-issue. Settling into a new place and new job will keep us busy, as it is, without the added commute issues. I was being a bit concerned about my daughter, who will be leaving behind some good friends with this move. I was trying not to put her through it again. Although, I think she will handle it better than I'm giving her credit for. Perhaps I'm just worrying too much...a mom thing!!

Old 03-16-2012, 04:36 AM

578 posts, read 1,212,535 times
We recently moved here and uprooted our 13.5 and 11 year-olds...I think your 5 -year old will be just fine.

Old 03-16-2012, 06:41 AM

440 posts, read 960,959 times
Renting a house under $ 1300 in FM or Irving will be difficult. There are very few aprtment complex in FM and you might get a 2 BR but availability might be thin. Leases and good houses in FM are currently going fast with some of them having multiple offers. Irving will offer more apartment rental options.

Traffic during peak time is bad across DFW and is relative. After Renting, I suggest to do a comparision of the areas/Sub Divisions you are considering by actually commuting to major destinations.
Flower Mound has implemented a comprehensive mobility plan and continue improvements. More than 37 street projects have been completed or under construction throughout the town during the past two years without any addtional tax burden.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas