U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2012, 08:05 PM
zs4 zs4 started this thread

15 posts, read 17,700 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I currently work from home and can move to anywhere in the country(maybe even the world but would like to stay stateside). I'm here trying out the area before our relocation over the summer. I have 4 kids with the oldest in 3rd grade with LD. Our NY school district did a somewhat good job with him 2 years, and a poor job the last year. The 1st grader is average and we believe the kindergartener might be gifted, and the toddler seems to be like number 1. I've read a lot of good and bad things about DFW. I am just curious, if any of you were in my situation, where would you move in DFW, if at all. I'm really concerned about the 3rd grader and his LD. I'm not sure right now we afford any of the private schools. I'm also wondering if the tuition to an LD school could be written as a tax write off?

Thanks for your opinions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2012, 05:23 PM

13 posts, read 32,853 times
You have to have a diagnosis and Dr. Rec for LD school tuition to be a write off. We filed for the first time this year. We are moving to the area with our LD son this summer. I think he will be going to Oak Hill. The tuition is cheaper here then our current school out of state.

Old 03-18-2012, 09:39 AM

9 posts, read 35,292 times
Zs4

Good to research before the move! If you have a child with dyslexia there are a handful of schools that do a good job. Allen independent school district uses Academic Language Therapists to instruct the alpha phonics reading program as does Wylie and Frisco did at one point. I would call the schools to confirm. Plano ISD is making changes but very very slowly and I would not recommend it for a dyslexic student. Richardson ISD also has a strong dyslexia program and active parent groups to support LD students.

Private school options are vast here, some great choices. The Fairhill School works with bright students with ld Welcome-Fairhill-School-Dallas-TX-972-233-1026 Tuition is around 12,000 Winston School Winston School ~ The Winston School Dallas, TX Winston has a reputation for being a strong arts school as well and I do not know the tuition. The Shelton School is well known and has a the highest tuition Shelton School
Texas Scottish Rite Luke Waites Center for dyslexia offers a free dyslexia evaluation but you must get on the waiting list and it can take a couple months. They are a great resource as well.Dyslexia & Learning Disorder Treatments - TSRHC

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or