U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2012, 11:56 AM

7,283 posts, read 8,116,246 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX75007 View Post
My impression is that many of the sports standouts at privates are just as likely to be the sport coaches kids who got in as the child-of-an-employee rule rather than your typical academic admittant.
That certainly isn't the case at UA, Jesuit or BL. I doubt very much that the other better privates allow coaches' kids admittance as non-academic qualifiers.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2012, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockDad View Post
I am sure you are right that Ursuline beats Hockaday and Greenhill far more often than not. Of course, Ursuline has 200 girls and Hockaday has 105 girls. Hockaday is no sports power house- not do they strive to be. They take it seriously, but come on, very few have serious talent.

Finally, I appreciate your tact in your post. It is not easy to say (gracefully) that Hockaday tries real hard, but rarely wins.
Thanks for the kind words. And trust me few people outside of Hockaday and the the other smaller privates appreciates your kids and coaches more than I do.

I think UA, Jesuit and BL strive to be academically excellent and field athletic teams that are quite good. Good enough to compete and sometimes win against the biggest and best public schools as well as in TAPPS.
I think the missions are a bit different and of course that Hockaday and GH want to remain smaller.

Old 09-25-2012, 07:35 PM

2,206 posts, read 3,792,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
That certainly isn't the case at UA, Jesuit or BL. I doubt very much that the other better privates allow coaches' kids admittance as non-academic qualifiers.
Faculty and staff kids do get in. A little googling on dmn stories will provide information.

Old 09-25-2012, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX75007 View Post
Faculty and staff kids do get in. A little googling on dmn stories will provide information.
Well, there is a big difference between the child of a teacher, staffer or coach being admitted to a top private and being tipped in as a non-academic qualifier.

I admit I did not look hard or long can you steer me towards a link?

Old 04-09-2013, 03:42 PM

3 posts, read 4,747 times
Default Private schools in Plano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big G View Post
A difference? Sure. In fact, I'd surmise the preference for a private school grad would be more notable at the "sub-Ivies".

Now, a difference worth $250K over 12-14 years of private education? Not to my eyes. But I live in Plano, not Preston Hollow. That means 1) $20K/year has a far different marginal value to me, and 2) the public/private school performance differential is much smaller. In effect, I'd be paying relatively more money for relatively less improvement.
Hello Big G,
I found your post very useful.We have a daughter who will be 3 year old in June and we are at the cross roads of either start preparing for Dallas Private schools or stick to Plano ISD.We do not have legacy or any big trigger that will ease our way into Greenhill or other private schools. Since this is our first kid, we do not have any experience or insight into Plano ISD except that we made sure we bought our house in Plano when we moved from NJ.
Are there any co-ed private schools in Plano since we also have a newborn boy whom we would like to join the same school as his big sister?
Your help is appreciated.

Old 04-09-2013, 05:47 PM

2,346 posts, read 5,792,682 times
Thread from the dead alert!!!

If you find yourself attracted to the idea of a private education, you should probably at least go through the hoops of attending the information sessions and so on. That much is free.

To me, I wouldn't waste my time with any of the Plano-area private schools, unless you have some strong religious affiliation to the school.

As far as the Dallas privates, Greenhill is the most obvious choice for your preferences and location. Maybe ESD or Parish, but for those two, I think that's a lot of money for 13-14 years of education that, although different, is, in my opinion, no better or worse than PISD for outcomes.

Old 04-17-2013, 03:03 PM

2 posts, read 3,127 times
I can't stand eastcoasters that come to Dallas, take our jobs, take spots in our elite private schools, and then compain about how it's not as good as the east coast. Just go back east then, sheesh! OP can't understand that not all Hockaday or St Mark's grads want to go to the Ivies?! Just as previously mentioned, many Dallasites don't grow up wanting to go to Harvard or Yale, but would rather attend more local prestigious schools or Southern universities. Or perhaps because many Texans know that people from the east coast are generally more stuck up and less friendly than people from the south, as evidenced by your own comments about how you likely won't fit in anywhere. Maybe they feel the same on the east coast..that they wouldn't fit in or be accepted? Wouldn't it work both ways? Or are you so particuarly special that you can't fit in HERE? That elitist perspective seems narrow minded and snobbish.

Old 04-17-2013, 03:26 PM

2,828 posts, read 3,386,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by halcyonrx View Post
I can't stand eastcoasters that come to Dallas, take our jobs, take spots in our elite private schools, and then compain about how it's not as good as the east coast. Just go back east then, sheesh! OP can't understand that not all Hockaday or St Mark's grads want to go to the Ivies?! Just as previously mentioned, many Dallasites don't grow up wanting to go to Harvard or Yale, but would rather attend more local prestigious schools or Southern universities. Or perhaps because many Texans know that people from the east coast are generally more stuck up and less friendly than people from the south, as evidenced by your own comments about how you likely won't fit in anywhere. Maybe they feel the same on the east coast..that they wouldn't fit in or be accepted? Wouldn't it work both ways? Or are you so particuarly special that you can't fit in HERE? That elitist perspective seems narrow minded and snobbish.
Agreed! I had acceptance letters from Yale and Princeton and went to Texas Tech. The family my wife works for son just got accepted to Harvard and is going to Ole Miss due to it being his family school. I applied to those two universities due to persuasion from my guidance counselor. The other boy applied due to his grandfather offering to pay him for every "high level" university he was accepted into.

Old 04-18-2013, 08:12 AM

64 posts, read 208,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by halcyonrx View Post
take your jobs? take your spots in the elite private schools? get a life. can't handle competition?

Old 04-18-2013, 08:20 AM

276 posts, read 421,335 times
Ole Miss & Tx Tech vs Harvard, Yale & Princeton? Questionable decision making process.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or