U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2013, 08:32 AM

2,828 posts, read 3,387,228 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keepingitsimple View Post
Ole Miss & Tx Tech vs Harvard, Yale & Princeton? Questionable decision making process.
Not really. It's all what you make of it. I was looking to enjoy college and have a good time as well. After visiting Yale and Princeton, that was not the experience I was looking for.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2013, 03:33 PM

3 posts, read 11,472 times
Some people don't pass the sniff test.

Anyway, it's always interesting to me when people get really angry about people from other places coming in and not appreciating how damn friendly everyone is! Screw those guys! Go back to Connecticut! The irony is at once appalling and amusing.

The taking "our" jobs statement adds a nice bit of entitled nonsense too.

As for the original poster, I think it's pretty important to find the school that fits your daughter best. Obviously there's a place for the "quality" of the institution in the equation, but the difference between Hockaday and Greenhill is negligible compared to which place she'd feel most comfortable at, that you and your spouse (if married) will fit into, and so forth. If your child is miserable, they probably won't perform well anyway, which will defeat any quality difference there was. Doing poorly at Hockaday will still get you only accepted to mediocre colleges in the same way doing poorly at Greenhill, St. Mark's or Thomas Jefferson will.

Fit is a pretty hard thing to quantify, of course, but I think both schools should do a pretty good job getting you and your daughter in to talk to people and so forth.

I think both schools are excellent, but for what it's worth, my bias is in favor of Hockaday as I went to St. Mark's and have many friends who went to Hockaday, and there exists a strain of empowering feminism that I think has served many of their alumnae well.

Old 04-20-2013, 12:51 AM

2,206 posts, read 3,793,609 times
Quote:
Ole Miss & Tx Tech vs Harvard, Yale & Princeton? Questionable decision making process.
LOL. I got letters from Ivies and Caltech and chose UT. UT was a full ride with no student loans and a straight shot into grad school with no debt along the way.

This kind of attitude is why I take great delight in round filing all applications I get from people with Ivy backgrounds.

Old 04-20-2013, 03:06 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,600,830 times
Quote:
As an east coaster, I would've felt that way once upon at time. However, Texas is its own thing and depending on who you meet in school, I wouldn't put HYPS over SMU or UT or Rice inside the vast state of Texas. YHSMV.

Old 04-20-2013, 07:56 PM

4 posts, read 11,459 times
Very insightful post from KevinMilione and thanks for the words of wisdom as we are new to the area and any insights on Hockaday vs. Greenhill are really helpful... although we feel more "at ease" with Greenhill's less-stuffy and more relaxed atmosphere, we're leaning towards Hockaday (even assuming we -- I mean our daughter -- gets in), as it's considerably closer to our house, and it seems like it the all-girls environment could be helpful for our child. Hockaday also seems slightly harder to get in in later years, while I've heard of more children getting into Greenhill in later years.

Old 04-22-2013, 01:17 PM

3 posts, read 11,472 times
My pleasure. Drive time is no small matter! I think both St. Mark's and Hockaday have certain years they try to expand their class, and in other years mostly work on replacement. So for St. Mark's, 1st (obviously), 5th, 7th and to a lesser extent 9th were big years to add people, but we only had one or two come in on off-years. So what may be perceived as extremely difficult for an 6th grade spot at St. Mark's, would be considerably less so the following year. At least that's how it was back in the day.

One thing to consider is that if your daughter does get into both, the schools will both likely provide her the opportunity to go through a day of classes so she gets a better feel. Good luck to you and your daughter.

Old 01-17-2014, 08:44 PM

2 posts, read 7,433 times
Default My choice.

I go to Greenhill currently, and love it. I wasn't in the lower school but I have volunteered there and all the students are engaged and the teachers are fantastic. It is definitely challenging and a student with an above average intelligence will thrive here. It is much more relaxed ( the student body, not academically) and the campus is beautiful. All the students are welcoming and there are so many diverse activities that your child can choose from.

Old 08-20-2014, 11:01 AM

1 posts, read 2,385 times
Default Greenhill

Quote:
Originally Posted by applerocks View Post
How do the two compare academically? Heard Greenhill is more progressive (in terms of curriculum, not politics). Anyone have first hand experience? We are interested only in the lower (elementary) school. Do either have any recognition outside of Texas?

Assume child is very advanced for her age. Will both schools be able to meet that need?

How big are the classes? Teacher student ratio? Do children have PE daily? Anyone with kids at either school willing to comment?

Thanks!
My daughter and son goes to Greenhill and I'm happy to say that I think that Greenhill is one of the best.

If you're asking about Primer-a grade between kinder and 1st, mainly for summer birthdays-it's a group of 22 and 2 teachers.

1st through 4th are a group of 16 to 18 kids, with 1 teacher and 5 classes for each grade. My kids haven't gotten to middle school yet, but I've heard that in middle school they mix people up a bit, different people in each class and they have about 20 with 1 teacher.

Once in 3rd grade, they start rotating around, but they still have a homeroom teacher-or advisor as they call it in 5th+.

They have PE daily and great food at lunch; they have a salad and soup bar, sandwich bar, hot lunch, sides and-of course-dessert.

Greenhill is very advanced, many kids are very smart (in many ways!).

Also, Greenhill has 3 language choices; Latin, Chinese and Spanish. Plus in middle school, they get to pick what classes they want, including 3d art, debate, speech, theater and others. Also, they have a choice of choir, band and orchestra.

Hope that this helped!!!

Old 12-28-2015, 11:51 PM

1 posts, read 1,603 times
What a nice thread this is! So many of the posts are informative and helpful, as well as being appropriately sensitive to the feelings of others. As a grandfather of a Dallas granddaughter, and as one who would never ever attempt to influence where she starts pre-school, my reading of these eleven pages led me to arrive at the pleasant conclusion that, most likely, the kid in the school is probably going to turn out to be more determinative of future results than the school of the kid. I will keep silently repeating this to myself anytime my son or his wife raises the subject.

Old 03-26-2016, 02:21 PM

42,223 posts, read 49,768,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big G View Post
A difference? Sure. In fact, I'd surmise the preference for a private school grad would be more notable at the "sub-Ivies".

Now, a difference worth $250K over 12-14 years of private education? Not to my eyes. But I live in Plano, not Preston Hollow. That means 1) $20K/year has a far different marginal value to me, and 2) the public/private school performance differential is much smaller. In effect, I'd be paying relatively more money for relatively less improvement.
I live in West Plano and thought that, too, until recently.
Never had a second thought about the schools my kids would go to...until now.

With the rezoning KILLING the elementary school that we're zoned to (destroyed) and the change in demographics across the board with Plano schools, we did what we thought was unthinkable and just put our kid in Greenhill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or