U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2018, 09:18 AM

1,034 posts, read 554,831 times

Advertisements

Maybe Rice thinks they don't need to. It's an excellent school and is my top choice for my older son even though I don't relish visiting him in Houston if he gets in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2018, 09:38 AM

7,290 posts, read 8,123,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taub201 View Post
To that point, I saw the Chicago admin rep at a HPHS event. Maybe they are investing in the DFW area. I know two USC anecdotes and both had generous scholarships. One didn't get $$ at Vandy. 20 years ago, it seemed like USC was ranked closer to the 40s-50s like Tulane but now it's in the low 20s with a sub-10% acceptance rate. Of all the schools in the Top 50, USC and Northeastern have arguably been the biggest movers.

Once in a while, a Hockaday (or other smart kid) would choose UTD because it's close, they don't care about the traditional college experience and maybe they've some camps or research there.
Really smart kids make college decisions that may seem odd but often make perfect sense upon knowing more details. For many of these kids undergrad is a stepping stone only ergo "brand value" does not mean as much as it does to others.

Some anecdotes.

A few years ago a friend's daughter - Val of her very solid DFW suburban high school with lots of options picked the University of Louisiana Monroe............everyone who knew her was like WTH? Well come to find out ULM has a very salty history getting kids into medical school and they gave her a free ride + stipend. At the end of the day her choice was go to Duke and go into debt or go to ULM and get paid a little. For the record her plan worked as she is now a specialized surgical resident.

Our son chose Baylor over a long series of better branded schools Brown, Notre Dame etc. He didn't get a stipend but he did get a free ride. He too is now a surgical resident.

A nephew is a budding mathematician and he loves other languages and has exceptional talent in that direction as well (he won't know for several more weeks but he thinks he made a 5 on the AP Chinese test). His plan is to major in math, minor or maybe double major in German or French and then later go to medical school. His list of schools in no order is Harvard (he's a 3x Harvard legacy and they can pay the bill), Princeton, Stoney Brook, Texas A&M, PMCU Paris - for French immersion, University of Bonn for German immersion.
I more or less knew the answers but I asked him why are A&M and Stoney Brook on your list? His answers were logical.
A&M - great math programs with lots of flexibility - might be able to jump into a masters program after two years, tremendous research ops for undergrads, world class faculty and one I didn't expect they agreed to let him take most of his foreign language classes though Johns Hopkins and transfer the hours in as he goes.
Stony Brook - kid is fan of a particular professor there and every though Stony Brook is not a spectacular brand overall it's math/physics is.

USC has recruited the Dallas private schools hard for a long time. IMO they are looking for kids who can't get into UT or A&M or just want to leave the state but whose parents are willing to pay the bill. All in USC is very expensive.

Old 06-01-2018, 10:42 AM

2,477 posts, read 1,492,077 times
Social science researchers say undergrad school shapes who you are and grad/professional school determins how you'll earn.

Old 06-01-2018, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcualum View Post
Maybe Rice thinks they don't need to. It's an excellent school and is my top choice for my older son even though I don't relish visiting him in Houston if he gets in.
I'm sorry, I was wrong. Rice ranks higher than USC in all lists and it is much smaller with Hogwarts/Yale style residential colleges so a better atmosphere for undergrad education. USC has a lot of competition in California with Stanford, UC schools, Caltech, Pomona and other CMC so they have to throw money but Rice doesn't have a competitive peer institution in Texas so they naturally attract talent.

You made a great choice. Best of luck to your son.

Old 06-01-2018, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnfairPark View Post
Social science researchers say undergrad school shapes who you are and grad/professional school determins how you'll earn.
Is the claim that people who graduate "lesser" schools are misshaped by the experience?

Old 06-01-2018, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
Is the claim that people who graduate "lesser" schools are misshaped by the experience?
No, not neccessarily. It claims peer, faculty and culture make a bigger impact on a student in undergrad years vs in grad years. I agree as high school and undergrad is a phase when they spend most time on campus and are more impressionable.

Old 06-01-2018, 11:06 AM

That's one reason top medical schools don't offer trade school like accelerated BS-MD track, pushing kids on pre-professional track too early gives them no advantage in sciences but takes away their opportunity to explore other areas of education and intellectual growth.

Old 06-01-2018, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnfairPark View Post
That's one reason top medical schools don't offer trade school like accelerated BS-MD track, pushing kids on pre-professional track too early gives them no advantage in sciences but takes away their opportunity to explore other areas of education and intellectual growth.
That's generally incorrect. Many phenomenal medical schools allow various accelerated pathways. By the best quantifiable measure out there USMLE Step 1 scores one can make a compelling case that Baylor Houston is the best medical school in the country and BCOM admits people without degrees and very young people regularly. One can get into Harvard med. without a BS or BA. Duke Medical School regularly accepts students without degrees.

TAMS kids every year are admitted into BCOM, UTSW and other top medical schools at 19 and 20 yo.

We went through all this with our son a few years ago and with our daughter this year and last. And I know there are more. To be clear some of these are formal 7 year programs some are 8 with the possibility of 7.
Baylor - Baylor
Rice - Baylor
Penn State
Brown - Brown
Northwestern
Miami - Miami
Washington University
I believe Michigan and Wayne State have a 7 year path as well.

What most ultra motivated and capable medical fast track wannabes do is A). attend their state's version of TAMS B). go to college and make a near perfect grades in medical school prerequisites, study up and hammer the MCAT and volunteer a lot and try to win a medical school slot after 3 years.

Old 06-01-2018, 12:24 PM

34 posts, read 16,515 times
Seems like those wanting to go to med school can start from solid, but not stellar, undergrads. You can do the same with b-school but the job you get after graduation is as important as grades and test scores. The job you get is aided tremendously by the undergrad program. A HS friend went to Princeton undergrad. He went to work for Paramount Pictures afterward his Art History degree.

I believe USC kids can all get into UT or A&M and go through a holistic review. They just want to go out of state. SMU is a different story with the top 6% auto-admission at UT.

Old 06-01-2018, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
That's generally incorrect. Many phenomenal medical schools allow various accelerated pathways. By the best quantifiable measure out there USMLE Step 1 scores one can make a compelling case that Baylor Houston is the best medical school in the country and BCOM admits people without degrees and very young people regularly. One can get into Harvard med. without a BS or BA. Duke Medical School regularly accepts students without degrees.

TAMS kids every year are admitted into BCOM, UTSW and other top medical schools at 19 and 20 yo.

We went through all this with our son a few years ago and with our daughter this year and last. And I know there are more. To be clear some of these are formal 7 year programs some are 8 with the possibility of 7.
Baylor - Baylor
Rice - Baylor
Penn State
Brown - Brown
Northwestern
Miami - Miami
Washington University
I believe Michigan and Wayne State have a 7 year path as well.

What most ultra motivated and capable medical fast track wannabes do is A). attend their state's version of TAMS B). go to college and make a near perfect grades in medical school prerequisites, study up and hammer the MCAT and volunteer a lot and try to win a medical school slot after 3 years.
These are very few exceptions, most good medical schools doesn't offer accelerated programs. This is the reason often they reject so many solid and dedicated pre-Med trackers but sometimes take humanities degree and no degree applicants because they want intellectual diversity as much as they want racial, financial and geographical diversity. Everyone shouldn't be looking at things with a 2+2=4 attitude but they need others who can do 1+3 or 1.8+2.2 etc because they can open up new paths in medicine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or