U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2012, 10:34 PM

7,283 posts, read 8,116,246 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2017 View Post
My 8th grade daughter is interested in applying to either Hockaday or Greenhill. Does anyone know what ISEE scores (Stanines or Percentile) my daughter needs to get into any of the two schools? The ISEE thing is totally new to me. I like to get some ideas for what scores are considered good or bad for an 8th grader.

Thank you in advance!
None of the schools around here publish minimum ISEE scores.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2012, 02:30 PM

7 posts, read 32,867 times
Thanks EDS. It's understandable that schools do not publish cutoff scores. So I like to hear from parents who went through the process.

Old 09-22-2012, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Thanks EDS. It's understandable that schools do not publish cutoff scores. So I like to hear from parents who went through the process.
Sorry, I should have been offered more information. Both of our kids took the ISEE; our son went to Jesuit and the other is at Ursuline now. Both of them are statistically unusual kids vis a vis this sort of thing. I can't find my daughter's scores per subject but she scored all 8s and one seven in math if memory serves. Our son scored all 9s and one 8 in reading comprehension (maybe?). He was accepted at St. Marks, ESD, Cistercian, Jesuit, Greenhill, BL and Parish (you can tell from that line-up that we over-think things like this LOL). He decided on Jesuit for academic, personality fit, friends and sports. Our daughter was accepted at UA, Hockaday and ESD. She did not apply to Greenhill or Parish. She choose UA for academic and sports reasons mostly.

I think, but do not know, that Hockaday and GH use the ISEE, grades, discipline issues, interviews, teacher recommendations all to similar extents. I do know that Hockaday especially does not want too many kids who are academic "robots". They expect kids to carry on conversations and look people in the eye etc.

I'd say ISEE scores, assuming excellent grades, mostly in 6 and up range is what they are looking for.

Old 09-22-2012, 08:51 PM

EDS, Thank you for your valuable input. Your son and daughter's scores are very impressive. You have outstanding kids.

My daughter tried the practice tests on ERB website and scored around 6s, she finished all the practice tests very quickly. Hopefully she can do a better job during the real test.

UA has very strong academic and sports. Your daughter made a good choice. My daughter is very into sports too. She plays multiple sports(volleyball, basketball, track and field). How about the sports in Greenhill and Hockaday? Regarding personality fit, I am not sure which school fits her better. I guess we can decide if she gets accepted.

Old 09-23-2012, 08:11 PM

343 posts, read 660,377 times
Quote:
EDS, Thank you for your valuable input. Your son and daughter's scores are very impressive. You have outstanding kids.

My daughter tried the practice tests on ERB website and scored around 6s, she finished all the practice tests very quickly. Hopefully she can do a better job during the real test.

UA has very strong academic and sports. Your daughter made a good choice. My daughter is very into sports too. She plays multiple sports(volleyball, basketball, track and field). How about the sports in Greenhill and Hockaday? Regarding personality fit, I am not sure which school fits her better. I guess we can decide if she gets accepted.
Both schools have excellent athletic programs for girls, including in all 3 of those sports. They participate in the SPC division (Southwest Preparatory Conference), which is comprised of private schools in Texas and Oklahoma. It is a relatively competitive conference and Greenhill and Hockaday are some of the stronger schools in it.

For volleyball and track, the two are basically a wash. Greenhill won track SPC in 1999,2001, 2002, 2004, 2006, and 2007, which makes it one of the strongest programs in the school's history. In volleyball the two schools tend to vary by year. Greenhill was a powerhouse in the early 2000s and I believe Hockaday won in 2008. Now, they are pretty similar.

For basketball, Hockaday probably edges out Greenhill, but again they are quite similar. Greenhill has not won a championship since 1999, and Hockaday did in 2008.

No matter the number of conference championships, my point is that both schools have very well-established and competitive programs in the sports that your daughter is interested in. However, they aren't so intense to the point where they will overshadow academics.

Old 09-24-2012, 07:58 AM

"my point is that both schools have very well-established and competitive programs in the sports that your daughter is interested in. However, they aren't so intense to the point where they will overshadow academics"

That is excellent. Thank you nakold23.

Old 09-24-2012, 02:36 PM

1,212 posts, read 1,769,788 times
As for Hockaday, although my girls are not yet in upper school, it is my understanding that the school takes athletics seriously (it is one of the four cornerstones), but there are usually spots for the girls who want to play. Think of this way, there are 220 juniors and seniors. The sports include: volleyball, basketball, softball, field hockey, lacrosse, swimming, tennis, golf, rowing, cheerleading, track, cross country, etc. The math just tells you that there are going to spots for the girls that want to play.

Old 09-24-2012, 04:23 PM

I'm going to be as nice as I possibly can. For girls - Hockaday and Greenhill field well coached teams that compete hard, behave well and show each school in good light.

Now to be a little more direct. Amongst the "bigger sports" I'm not aware of a girl's team from either school that would do well in TAPPs above maybe 2A or 3A at best. Frankly, I think that's why neither school is in TAPPS.

Restated, and speaking about HS Varsity level only, how many times over the last ten years have GH or Hockaday beaten Bishop Lynch or Ursuline in volleyball, basketball or soccer?

And I'll assure you another thing at UA even for kids who will play their sport in college, sports do not overshadow academics either.

Old 09-25-2012, 11:14 AM

1,212 posts, read 1,769,788 times
I am sure you are right that Ursuline beats Hockaday and Greenhill far more often than not. Of course, Ursuline has 200 girls and Hockaday has 105 girls. Hockaday is no sports power house- not do they strive to be. They take it seriously, but come on, very few have serious talent.

Finally, I appreciate your tact in your post. It is not easy to say (gracefully) that Hockaday tries real hard, but rarely wins.

Old 09-25-2012, 11:19 AM

2,206 posts, read 3,792,801 times
My impression is that many of the sports standouts at privates are just as likely to be the sport coaches kids who got in as the child-of-an-employee rule rather than your typical academic admittant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or