Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2012, 02:42 PM

15 posts, read 26,828 times

Advertisements

Recently my husband and I have been looking at some new builds just Northeast of Richardson. There seems to be a good variety of companies building these homes, but I am finding less than favorable reviews and several nightmarish situations about long-term quality and service after the sale. How do you assess quality homes without shelling out the cash for home inspection and structural engineers? Is there a Consumer Reports of sorts for home builders apart from anecdotes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2012, 03:52 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,189,517 times
An experienced real estate agent who works a lot of new construction can give you the advice you need. There are only about 3-4 builders IMO under about $250k that I would recommend.

Old 03-18-2012, 05:27 PM

15 posts, read 26,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
An experienced real estate agent who works a lot of new construction can give you the advice you need. There are only about 3-4 builders IMO under about $250k that I would recommend.
Can you pm me your list?

Old 03-18-2012, 06:04 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,829,411 times
Rakin is a RE agent who gets paid for his time and expertise.

Old 03-18-2012, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
Rakin is a RE agent who gets paid for his time and expertise.
Yeah, there is nothing written just years of dealing with the builders.

I will say to go to JP Powers website for home builder rankings. It's not always accurate since the builders can sway the results but it's about 70% accurate.

Just pay attention to the very bottom of JDP. It's fairly accurate.

Old 03-18-2012, 09:52 PM

94 posts, read 285,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New2TX2010 View Post
Recently my husband and I have been looking at some new builds just Northeast of Richardson. There seems to be a good variety of companies building these homes, but I am finding less than favorable reviews and several nightmarish situations about long-term quality and service after the sale. How do you assess quality homes without shelling out the cash for home inspection and structural engineers? Is there a Consumer Reports of sorts for home builders apart from anecdotes?

Good luck in your home search. I just want to ask, though, is the $250-$500 for a home inspection really not worth it to you when you are likely going to spend at least $150,000 on a home? I wouldn't trust a consumer report or any other list for home builders ratings in general. Every home is different, even from the highest-rated company. Mistakes happen and things are overlooked during construction all the time.

You may want to look at existing homes as well, it can also depend on your price point as to what to expect - new or existing.

Old 03-21-2012, 09:41 AM

764 posts, read 1,657,121 times
"How do you assess quality homes without shelling out the cash for home inspection and structural engineers?"

I would never cut a corner here while building a home, I don't care what the builder's "reputation" is. AND I wouldn't have the inspector come out only when the home is complete and you're doing a 'final' walk-through. I would have them out there a couple of times "during" construction. That being said, if you're only planning on living in the house for a few years < 3 or so, you could probably skip it as your house will be under warrenty for the first year anyway.

Old 03-21-2012, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carroll4628 View Post
"How do you assess quality homes without shelling out the cash for home inspection and structural engineers?"

I would never cut a corner here while building a home, I don't care what the builder's "reputation" is. AND I wouldn't have the inspector come out only when the home is complete and you're doing a 'final' walk-through. I would have them out there a couple of times "during" construction. That being said, if you're only planning on living in the house for a few years < 3 or so, you could probably skip it as your house will be under warrenty for the first year anyway.
I've seen a lot of issues that cost a home seller $$ when they sell that if they would have had an inspection, would have been found and covered by the builder at no cost.

Because they did not catch it at the beginning, they had to pay out of their pocket when it was resold since it was out of warranty.

Old 03-21-2012, 05:40 PM

1,315 posts, read 2,680,702 times
Check out Woodbridge in Sachse...a golf course community with New builds
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas