U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2012, 10:40 PM

8 posts, read 8,571 times

Advertisements

So, I'm from Rhode Island and I've been hired by Americorps to work at the North Texas Food Bank, and I'm looking to find a safe neighborhood that's around 20 minutes from the food bank.

The catch is that I'm on a really limited budget. I should be living with another Americorps worker, but even so, we likely can't afford anything over $750 a month. I've been looking at several apartments nearby, but they all have terrible reviews.

I'd really like to find an area to live where I don't have to worry about theft or vandalism, as I won't be able to fix any damage done to my vehicle or replace any stolen property.

So far The Highlands of Grand Prairie seems to be one of the better choices, so any information you could give me on the area surrounding 3517 SE 8th St, in Grand Prairie would be helpful as well.

Thanks
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2012, 05:30 AM

1,188 posts, read 2,012,154 times
Do the people you are going to be working for have any suggestions? (what have other workers in your position done) $750 is very low for the Dallas-area, especially for two people. Unfortunately, something would have to give, I think - safety, location, rent, etc.

I don't know anything about Grand Prairie, but maybe someone else does. I think the area around the Food Bank is pretty sketchy.

Good luck.

Old 03-19-2012, 08:16 AM

2,982 posts, read 8,176,678 times
I think the food bank is in South Oak Cliff. North Oak Cliff would be a good place to stay - see what the rents are from Good Space. Sorry, don't know much about Grand Prairie.

Old 03-19-2012, 09:04 AM

813 posts, read 1,766,019 times
try craigslist

Old 03-19-2012, 09:11 AM

The Food Bank is on S. Cockrell Hill Road, if that's any help in identifying what neighborhood it is.

I've tried craigslist, as I've said, I've found plenty of apartments that meet my criteria, they all just have horrible reviews or what appear to be pretty bad areas.

Old 03-19-2012, 09:39 PM

93 posts, read 134,943 times
Look in Cedar Hill.

Old 03-19-2012, 10:57 PM

7,283 posts, read 8,112,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elMike View Post
The Food Bank is on S. Cockrell Hill Road, if that's any help in identifying what neighborhood it is.

I've tried craigslist, as I've said, I've found plenty of apartments that meet my criteria, they all just have horrible reviews or what appear to be pretty bad areas.
Sorry I have nothing to add about living quarters.

Thank you for heading down to help at the Food Bank. I've sorted food there many times with my kids over the years. Doing so has always proved very fulfilling.

Welcome to Texas!

Old 03-20-2012, 12:58 PM

743 posts, read 1,062,770 times
As a fellow AmeriCrops alumn, welcome to the family. I assume you will be trying to locate your housing from RI? This is super hard because there are not many reputibale apartment buildings in Oak Cliff (the greater area around the NTFB).

There are, however, many nice individually owned homes in neighbrohoods like Winnetka Heights and Bishop Arts. There any many young, likeminded people in those neighborhoods of older homes. I would also encourage you to look for rentals just across Ledbetter and Westmoreland- near Sprague Stadium (blue spot on Google Maps). It's an area of small, well cared for ranch houses. No night life, but you won't have any money to go out anyway!

Old 03-21-2012, 09:01 AM

Thank you very much, I will look into those

Old 03-21-2012, 10:52 AM

16,092 posts, read 35,779,846 times
Yep I would go with individual owned homes, duplexes etc. If you are looking in North Oak Cliff (and in my area, East Dallas) that is often the way to go..this is an area of older (for Dallas) homes with character, trees, parks and many interesting shops/restaurants (virtually no chains or franchises).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or