U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
 
Old 07-26-2012, 12:59 PM
 
Location: plano
3,440 posts, read 2,646,694 times
Reputation: 2433
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOverdog View Post
It if blocks less heat, then how is it 'better'? Blocking heat is really all a radiant barrier does. Is it much cheaper?
Easier and cheaper to install, so cost vs value equation

 
Old 07-26-2012, 02:58 PM
 
Location: Mostly in my head
15,939 posts, read 27,802,651 times
Reputation: 11566
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric4114 View Post
I do pc house calls, and have several customers with radiant barriers. Their main complaint was that it blocks cell phone signals; one of them had to buy an AT&T Microcell so they could use their cell phone though their DSL line, because the RB ended up blocking their cell phones. They were unsure that if given the situation, that they would install it again. Both customers stated the savings did not meet their expectations.
My son has no problems using cell phones under radiant barrier.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
__________________
Moderator for Utah, Salt Lake City, Diabetes, Cancer, Pets , Health and Wellness forums
http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
 
Old 07-26-2012, 03:45 PM
 
Location: McKinney
3,584 posts, read 2,539,400 times
Reputation: 3755
I also have no problems using my cell phone in our house with RB. We have AT&T.
 
Old 07-27-2012, 11:46 PM
 
23 posts, read 18,179 times
Reputation: 33
My suggestion is to Google Foil vs spray radiant barrier and see the results yourself.

I personally would not consider spray radiant barrier because foil was obviously superior when I researched it in 2010 but you will need to find out for yourself.

If a salesman told me that spray was somehow superior to foil radiant barrier I would run the other way.

Best of luck with your project!

Lake
 
Old 07-28-2012, 07:45 AM
 
Location: High Cotton
6,023 posts, read 3,223,046 times
Reputation: 3467
Here's a question for you. There are radiant barriers available for metal garage doors. How effective is a 'radiant' barrier when installed on metal garage door panels?
 
Old 07-28-2012, 02:33 PM
 
23 posts, read 18,179 times
Reputation: 33
Installed garage door radiant barrier early last summer and it helped cool my garage considerably. The sun shines on my southern facing metal double garage door and the rb prevents the heat from coming into the garage off the door quite as much.

If the sun doesn't shine directly on your garage door, then it isn't a product needed. My garage door would get so hot you couldn't hold your hand on it from the inside.
 
Old 07-28-2012, 02:57 PM
 
Location: High Cotton
6,023 posts, read 3,223,046 times
Reputation: 3467
Quote:
Originally Posted by laked3 View Post
Installed garage door radiant barrier early last summer and it helped cool my garage considerably. The sun shines on my southern facing metal double garage door and the rb prevents the heat from coming into the garage off the door quite as much.

If the sun doesn't shine directly on your garage door, then it isn't a product needed. My garage door would get so hot you couldn't hold your hand on it from the inside.
So, the radiant heat barrier radiants the heat back to the metal garage door panels? How does that work to reduce the heat in the garage? Does the radiant heat barrier ping-pong the heat back-and-forth between the radiant barrier and the metal garage door panels, thus reducing a goodly portion of the heat from entering the garage space? Metal is metal, so it seems like most any type of metal will act as a barrier to a large degree...therefore I would have assumed that adding a radiant heat barrier wouldn't do much to help out in a garage that already has metal panels in the garage door, unlike what it could do for an attic with wood decking. Personally I do not see the advantage of using a radiant heat barrier in a southerly or westerly facing garage...unless the garage door is made of wood. I'm just trying to use some common sense and a bit of logic...
 
Old 07-28-2012, 09:26 PM
 
Location: McKinney
3,584 posts, read 2,539,400 times
Reputation: 3755
Quote:
Originally Posted by laked3 View Post
If the sun doesn't shine directly on your garage door, then it isn't a product needed.

I disagree. I did this last year, we have a standard size two car garage door, made of that thin wall aluminum/metal. It had no insulation properties at all, whatever the temp was outside, it was that temp inside the garage, and even hotter, because the heat had nowhere to go.

Installed some radiant barrier panels and cut them to fit, and now the garage stays about 10 degrees cooler than outside, measured by a digital thermometer.
 
Old 07-29-2012, 08:39 AM
 
Location: High Cotton
6,023 posts, read 3,223,046 times
Reputation: 3467
Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
I disagree. I did this last year, we have a standard size two car garage door, made of that thin wall aluminum/metal. It had no insulation properties at all, whatever the temp was outside, it was that temp inside the garage, and even hotter, because the heat had nowhere to go.

Installed some radiant barrier panels and cut them to fit, and now the garage stays about 10 degrees cooler than outside, measured by a digital thermometer.
So, the heat gets through the garage door's metal panels, then hits the radiant heat barrier...and then what happens to the heat? Where does it go - back through the garage door's metal panels to the outside?
 
Old 07-29-2012, 02:45 PM
 
Location: High Cotton
6,023 posts, read 3,223,046 times
Reputation: 3467
Quote:
Originally Posted by highcotton View Post
So, the heat gets through the garage door's metal panels, then hits the radiant heat barrier...and then what happens to the heat? Where does it go - back through the garage door's metal panels to the outside?
Anybody...?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top