U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2012, 05:56 PM

16 posts, read 29,943 times

Advertisements

I switched to Boost [Sprint] from Tmo. Tmo was always adding excess usage and this fee and that charge and looking at my bills for the last 6 months, this is what I found...

For a family plan for two phones supposedly $89/month, I have paid over $200/month for two months, $450 one month and lowest in 6 months is $105. All for excessive usage. And to make a change to my plan, Tmo always wanted to first get me to agree to a 2 year contract extension.

I was with Tmo for 7 years and happy to have Boost.

There is no true 4G yet, won;t be here for a few years.

Are 4G Mobile Broadband Networks available today?

If you have to go by the advertisements, yes. 4G networks are pretty much available today. The reality is that these networks are just “4th Generation” (because they came after 3G) and don’t really meet the 4G technical standards of offering 100Mbps connection.

4G Mobile Broadband : No Contract Internet Data Plans

Senators draft bill to define real 4G speeds | Electronista
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2012, 12:50 AM

178 posts, read 315,932 times
i tether with my samsung epic II touch with just the unlimited plan, no tethering data plan. use about 2GB a month and have never been throttled. "4G"/wimax speeds are kind of spotty in the mid cities, but clear and strong downtown and north dallas. a great deal.

Old 04-04-2012, 08:07 AM

1,548 posts, read 2,435,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seat21d View Post
The inability to use a phone on the Verizon network for simultaneous voice and data isn't a bandwidth or 3G vs. 4G issue. It is because Verizon (and Sprint) operate on a CDMA network that does not support this.
That may very well be true. I was simply quoting Verizon and Apple. They've been wrong before.

Old 04-30-2012, 10:39 AM

1,615 posts, read 2,856,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpepping View Post
I was wondering when that would come out. Depending on its performance, I may stay with Sprint when my contract is up. My only concern is will Sprint eliminate the unlimited data plan due to higher data usage with the LTE network?
Word on the street is that Sprint will stay with the unlimited data plan as the only option, and that is why there is an additional $10 fee for adding a new smartphone now. The LTE network is expensive to implement, and phones use more and more data with the 4" or larger screens. It bugs me that other carriers say "unlimited data" and then have 2 GB or 5 GB Max underneath. That isn't unlimited.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photography View Post
I posted this in another thread, but I want to post it here since it deals specifically with Sprint.

Do NOT go with Sprint, you WILL regret it! I was attracted to their unlimited plan just like you, and I fully regret ever signing up with Sprint. I split my time between Dallas and New York, and I get horrible service in both locations. The service is so bad in my home, I have to have a cell signal booster provided by Sprint because that's how bad their service is. Frequently dropped calls, horrible service, horrible customer service, etc. I'll be switching to Verizon when my contract with Sprint is up.
Keep in mind that service varies greatly depending on what device you are using. For instance, Motorola phones tend to have MUCH better call quality than anything Samsung makes. Cell service is supposedly worse right now in the Dallas area while they are rolling out the new 4G LTE network.

Which brings me to my question...

Has anyone tried a Sprint 4G LTE phone in the Dalls area yet? The only options right now are the LG Viper LTE and the Samsung Galaxy Nexus LTE. The 4G LTE network is supposed to be completed in the Dallas area in the first half of 2012, but I can't find any information online saying whether the network is active yet and how it is working. I am going to upgrade to a new phone soon, and I'm wondering if I should go with an LTE phone or if LTE will be an epic failure like wimax 4G was for Sprint. They are supposed to roll out LTE in my city in late 2012... after Dallas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas