U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2012, 10:09 AM

4 posts, read 4,373 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

Can somebody give me approximate boundaries for the Uptown area (i.e. Street X to Street Y, and Street Z to Street A)? as well as Deep Ellum?, and any other areas that young professionals might want to live. These are just some of the places that I keep reading about where 20-30s, professionals live, however, if there are other areas.. please share! I'm not sure yet about the downtown area itself, as it starts to get a little more pricey than I would like..but if there's economical units in that area, please share as well.

I am looking for apartments not too far from the downtown area, since I will be working there. I am willing to look a little bit further out, but as long as there is easy/quick access to the DART rail.

Oh, I'm looking for something preferably 2/2 or 2/1, 900 to 1200 sq ft, with a price ceiling of about 1300/month. Does this exist? Or am I dreaming??

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2012, 12:30 PM

743 posts, read 1,063,750 times
Dallas doesn't define its neighborhoods like some cities do. Check out the definitions on Wikimapia, they are pretty close to consensus.

Also look at the Cedars, Oak Lawn, Knox-Henderson, Expo Park and Bishop Arts

Old 03-20-2012, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Considering Coming Back View Post
Dallas doesn't define its neighborhoods like some cities do. Check out the definitions on Wikimapia, they are pretty close to consensus.

Also look at the Cedars, Oak Lawn, Knox-Henderson, Expo Park and Bishop Arts
Ok, thanks!

About the price range for the sq ft ratio, does anybody have any input on this? How realistic is this?

Old 03-20-2012, 03:54 PM

11,680 posts, read 21,258,728 times
Uptown is loosely defined as north of Woodall Rogers, south of Fitzhugh, west of 75, and east of Turtle Creek/ Cedar Springs.

Deep Ellum is basically north/ northwest of I-30, south of Baylor Hospital, and east of 75.

Other young professional neighborhoods are Downtown, Turtle Creek/ Oak Lawn, The Cedars, North Oak Cliff, Knox-Henderson, M Streets/ Lower Greenville, and The Village Apartments. Most of these neighborhoods are looping around the general Uptown/ downtown area. Many threads on here about these neighborhoods, too, if you're interested.

Old 03-20-2012, 04:00 PM

16,092 posts, read 35,798,822 times
Expo Park is between Deep Ellum and Fair Park - another area to consider - a bit more cutting edge.

Old 03-20-2012, 04:33 PM

Thanks a lot all!

Old 03-20-2012, 05:51 PM

119 posts, read 287,575 times
Boundaries:

West, until it gets glittery rainbow fabulous.
North to the shopping mall-prison.
South to freeway construction.
East to the twin automobile-choked roads of Frat Dorm Hell.

That's pretty much it.

Old 03-20-2012, 05:54 PM

1,548 posts, read 2,425,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRedTelephone View Post
Boundaries:

West, until it gets glittery rainbow fabulous.
North to the shopping mall-prison.
South to freeway construction.
East to the twin automobile-choked roads of Frat Dorm Hell.

That's pretty much it.
Please tell me you got that description from Uptown's Bureau of Tourism brochure. LOL

Old 03-21-2012, 03:09 AM

6,848 posts, read 9,824,618 times

GT2012,

Please see City-Data's City of Dallas main page for all city stats and maps.

On this main page for Dallas, scroll down and you'll see the full neighborhood list for Dallas and also the link for the full Dallas Neighborhood map.

For individual neighborhood maps and stats, select the neighborhood by name from either this City of Dallas main page or the Dallas Neighborhood map.

For instance, here are the
Uptown Neighborhood stats and map that can be selected from either.

Old 03-21-2012, 07:47 AM

1,548 posts, read 2,425,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BstYet2Be View Post

GT2012,

Please see City-Data's City of Dallas main page for all city stats and maps.

On this main page for Dallas, scroll down and you'll see the full neighborhood list for Dallas and also the link for the full Dallas Neighborhood map.

For individual neighborhood maps and stats, select the neighborhood by name from either this City of Dallas main page or the Dallas Neighborhood map.

For instance, here are the
Uptown Neighborhood stats and map that can be selected from either.
Great links!

I'm sure it seems like a dumb question for a local, but I'm confused by the Uptown map. Is Uptown the area inside the thick black box, or the colored boxes?

I'm still trying to figure out the difference between Uptown vs. Oak Lawn; M Streets vs Greenland Hills; which neighborhood Knox-Henderson is in; why that tiny sliver of 1-2 blocks east of Katy Trail is considered Oak Lawn vs. Highland Park; etc. I suppose it will all make sense once you've been there for a bit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or