U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2012, 09:33 AM

19 posts, read 28,107 times

Advertisements

We are likely moving to Dallas this summer. Not sure what neighborhood or location yet.

My son turns 5 in June and is ready for Kindergarden.

What is the process to get into kindergarden in "general" private or public? Are we going to be at a disadvantage because we are not moving until July and won't know where to enroll yet?

thank u
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2012, 01:15 PM

207 posts, read 424,004 times
Whenever u find the place u will be living, go to the public elementary you are zoned to and register him. There is no disadvantage for public school. Most schools are having their open houses in the next month or so, so the future kindergardeners can see what school will be like, but its not a requirement. just something to get them excited.

Old 03-21-2012, 02:54 PM

1,245 posts, read 2,941,791 times
Absolutely correct, My son had a good friend in Kindergarten up through part of 3rd grade (they moved) who moved in literally 3 days before classes started,. They went to the school, registered him, and everything was fine. Just make sure you have shot records, copy of birth certificate, and a utility bill or signed lease agreement to prove residency.

Old 03-21-2012, 04:34 PM

207 posts, read 424,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macbeth2003 View Post
Just make sure you have shot records, copy of birth certificate, and a utility bill or signed lease agreement to prove residency.
good point!

Old 03-21-2012, 04:42 PM

179 posts, read 490,140 times
I am in a similar boat in that I am moving with a kindergartner who will be in 1st grade in the fall. I will be in town in a little over a week for a bit to check things out - do you folks think it is worth my time to check out schools now while there will be kids in classes or just wait until we are moved this summer? (we will be in an apartment until August, but we plan on renting a house in the zone of our 'target school' prior to school starting in the fall.)

Old 03-21-2012, 04:52 PM

Check out schools now! If you have yet to make a decision see the schools in operation. Ha ng out after school and talk to parents. Attend a PTA meeting if you can. All of that will give you real useable information. Test scores, etc are next to meaningless. If you dont believe TAKS/STAAR is a good measure of a school.... well enough said. If you do, you have to parse the numbers so deeply to get meaning it becomes impossible. One subgroup blowing the test can crater a school's rating. It is beyond vital to get to the schools while they are running. We considered several school based on numbers, reputation, etc. If we had gone just on that we would have made a terrible mistake! By going to the schools, meting parents and teachers and getting a real feel for them we made a choice that worked well, and prepared our son for the vanguard he will be entering next year (which was a hard decision as it meant leaving the school we love.) I know I'm going on a bit, but I cannot over-stress how strongly I feel that a parent considering multiple schools, or moving based upon school choice - as we did - has to see the schools and talk to parents while they are going.

Old 03-21-2012, 05:30 PM

I am on a somewhat limited time frame....our visit next week (over my sons spring break) is the only chance we will have prior to actually moving this summer. We will have a few months to hang out at parks (if it isn't five billion degrees at 8 am), splash parks, pools, etc., around the area and talk to parents as well. I am looking mostly at Lakewood, stonewall Jackson, Robert e lee, Hexter, and lipscomb. I am not ruling out the RISD portion of lake highlands, but right now (pending our visit) I really want to stay in the city.

Old 03-21-2012, 07:04 PM

2,982 posts, read 8,184,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualM View Post
I am on a somewhat limited time frame....our visit next week (over my sons spring break) is the only chance we will have prior to actually moving this summer. We will have a few months to hang out at parks (if it isn't five billion degrees at 8 am), splash parks, pools, etc., around the area and talk to parents as well. I am looking mostly at Lakewood, stonewall Jackson, Robert e lee, Hexter, and lipscomb. I am not ruling out the RISD portion of lake highlands, but right now (pending our visit) I really want to stay in the city.

If it's a nice day, you would be welcome to chat with the parents who hang out after school on the Lipscomb playground off Lowell between Worth and Junius. We'll be there after 3:15. I find this is the best way to get information.

Old 03-21-2012, 07:08 PM

Absolutely! Swing by Lipscomb one Afternoon and look for us.

Old 03-21-2012, 07:11 PM

You asked for it lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or