U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2012, 10:44 AM

8 posts, read 7,576 times

Advertisements

All:

I am relocating in the next month from Milwaukee to Dallas for a new job. I am very excited about the move because I have heard wonderful things about living in Dallas! I was hoping that you could give me some advice. I am a 40 year old single female. I have never been married. I'm looking for a place to live and am overwhelmed right now, because the rental market in Dallas is completely different from any that I have encountered in the past.

Just to give you some perspective, I lived in Chicago's Gold Coast until March 2011. I loved my neighborhood in Chicago because it was quiet and residential, but I could walk 5 blocks or so and be on Michigan Avenue or Rush Street so I had easy access some of the city's best shopping, dining and nightlife. I was also within walking distance to several grocery stores, Walgreens, CVS, Whole Foods and Trader Joe's (yes I know it is coming to Dallas but not yet open). I moved to Milwaukee in March 2011 for a job, and picked an apartment in the suburbs because it was a short commute from my job and near family members that live in the city. I didn't mind living in the suburbs because it was quiet and near a lot of decent shopping areas. In terms of going to restaurants and going out, I could drive 20 minutes and be downtown or on the East Side where all of the nightlife is located. I should mention that it has been hard to meet people in Milwaukee, not neccessarily because of where I live, but because the city just doesn't have as many events or as robust a nightlife as other cities.

I do have an apartment locator working with me and I will be coming to Dallas in early April to look at apartments. I am looking for a location that would give me the best of both worlds-quiet but near to shops, restaurants, etc. (if not walkable, then a short drive). Also, I want to be in an area that has some events and activities because I will be trying to meet people. That said, I'm not sure that I want to be in a totally urban area either. My new job is located in North Dallas (Forest Lane and the North Central Expressway).

Right now, the apartment locator with whom I am working thinks Addison would be a good match for me, because it would be close to work but also has restaurants and things to do. He is recommending Estancia Townhomes in Addison, but I am just not sure if there is enough to do in Addison. Everyone else that has voiced an opion thinks I should live in Uptown or the Turtle Creek area. The Uptown area looks great online, but I'm concerned about noise and that it may be a bit too urban for me. I am also concerned about the commuting time to work. What do you think? Can you recommend some neighborhoods and properties for me? My budget is up to $1,800. Most of the properties I have seen online have gotten horrible ratings, but I know you cannot always go by those reviews since many of them are left by disgruntled renters. I'm looking for an apartment in a safe but also quiet neighborhood, an apartment that is large (around 1,000 square feet), has a garage, has central heat and air, preferrably has a washer and dryer in the unit, that is well maintained (i.e. the building's managers are responsive and fix things quickly), has some residents the same age as me, and that is not too far from shops, restaurants and malls. Do you have any advice for me both in terms of neighborhoods and specific properties? I would be extremely grateful for any advice that you can give to me!

Thank you in advance for your help and advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2012, 11:02 AM

1,197 posts, read 1,866,257 times
I would think parts of East Dallas/Lakewood area would be a good match for a quiet but active location....close to many shops, restaurants, etc but still with a suburban feel. Definately people of all ages. Also easy access to work. But I am not very familiar with the apartments there, so I'll let someone more knowledgeable chime in

Old 03-24-2012, 11:30 AM

Thank you for your advice. I really appreciate it. I will ask the apartment locator to look at those areas as well.

Old 03-24-2012, 11:39 AM

8,344 posts, read 11,409,318 times
I think you would really like the high rises along Turtle Creek Blvd- perched high above the beautiful tree lined blvd, across from the series of parks along the creek. It's beautiful, peaceful, and quiet, but steps from Oak Lawn & Lemmon Aves for groceries (Whole Foods & Eatzi's) and other daily needs and a few blocks to your east is Uptown's West Village and all it's shopping, dining, and entertainment (Magnolia indie theatre, wine bars, restaurants, Dallas' best Starbucks, etc) and a slightly longer walk into the rest of Uptown and Knox/Henderson.

I think you would HATE Addison- its basically a strip mall. Uptown may be too young for you as a log of buildings are filled with 20-something party animals.

Old 03-24-2012, 11:41 AM

Thanks TurtleCreek80. I appreciate it. I agree that I may not like Addison either. For some reason, the apartment locator did not really focus on any of the highrises on Turtle Creek. I'll ask him to look for some other properties for me. Can you suggest any particular buildings on Turtle Creek?

Thank you again.

Old 03-24-2012, 12:36 PM

8,344 posts, read 11,409,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JolieJolie View Post
Thanks TurtleCreek80. I appreciate it. I agree that I may not like Addison either. For some reason, the apartment locator did not really focus on any of the highrises on Turtle Creek. I'll ask him to look for some other properties for me. Can you suggest any particular buildings on Turtle Creek?

Thank you again.
Sure, I'd check out:
The Mayfair
The Warrington
The Beverly
Turtle Creek North

That's a good list of "mid-range" buildings - not the most luxe, but not the least expensive either.

Old 03-24-2012, 12:44 PM

Thank you so much TurtleCreek80! I really appreciate it!

Old 03-26-2012, 12:22 PM

814 posts, read 1,008,072 times
If you lived in the Gold Coast area of Chicago, and I lived in Chicago for 30 years, I'd second the Turtle Creek area. You'd have a relative easy commute since it's reverse and you don't need to get on Expressways to get there. Can't vouch for washer dryer in the unit.
Addison commute would be hard. I know there are others on the forum who know of web sites to look for apartments.
Not sure how these apartment locators work since I haven't used one since 1999 but it sounds to me that this one may be steering you to Addison???? Or that's just what they know????
Only other place that I could recommend would be "behind the Pink Wall" area on NW Hwy. My wife lived there before we married. Very quiet but convenient to Preston Road, Park Cities, Preston Hollow, 75, North Park. Bounded roughly by Preston on the west and Hillcrest on the east, NW Hwy on the south and (well not sure of the north).
Welcome

Old 03-26-2012, 12:34 PM

2,209 posts, read 1,946,325 times
TC is the way to go. Very little commute and lots to do.

Old 03-27-2012, 12:22 PM

830 posts, read 1,147,179 times
Jolie -

I am also a Chicago resident (Lakeview) who is relocating to Dallas. I have been studying the Dallas area for several years while waiting to transfer down there (finally happening next month!) and so I am familiar with many of the neighborhoods and how they compare to Chicago's hoods.

I have to agree with Turtle Creek. Are you familiar with that part of the Lincoln Park neighborhood in Chicago, right off of Clark Street, that runs the Lincoln Park (*the park*)? Those two streets called Stockton and Lncoln Park West? Well there is a VERY SIMILAR area called Turtle Creek parkway, which runs thru Turtle Creek park, with high rises that look down on the park. It has a very Manhattan/Central Park feel, or a very Lincoln Park feel to it. These are the same high rises that TurtleCreek80 was talking about in her post above.

That area is actually part of Uptown Dallas and is very walkable. You can walk to all sorts of retail, as well as bars, restaurants, etc. Very nice area and people from their 20's all the way to their 50's are welcome in the area (I'm 39 myself). The best part though, is that you can drive if you want to...the area is a nice blend of urban lincoln park style walkability, blended with some conveniences of the burbs (most places have some sort of parking available, if you dont feel like walking that day).

I took a girlfriend down there a couple years ago and showed her around; she claimed that it was like a combination of Lincoln park and Naperville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas