U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-25-2012, 12:26 PM

174 posts, read 227,934 times

Advertisements

I am in Dallas, but never spend any time north of 635. My spouses job relocation has added a hectic commute. Plano (75093) would be a good fit. i am used to M Street Life walkability, and diversity.

Could we adjust to Plano? Is there cycling, outdoor activities, parks?

Is everything a strip mall? As progressive people, is this a really religious area?

Do you have to drive everywhere? My concern is being blocked away from everything. Is it worth a try or would we hate it? I know I could drive around, but I would like opinions from people who know the area.

What is the social scene like?
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2012, 02:22 PM

3,497 posts, read 3,246,984 times
I moved here from the Energy Corridor of Houston where I moved to from suburban NJ outside NYC. I love Plano. The neighbors are very diverse near me in 75093. Yes there are parks, places to cycle, great shopping. Not all is strip malls. When you say you are from M street...I have no idea what you are talking about by comparison, I know of K street in DC so if that area is where you are coming from Plano is going to be a big change. I worked for months at a time 1/2 a year in N. Va (Falls church/Fairfax area) and find Plano at least as appealing if not more so than that area. The biggest diffferences are traffic and weather otherwise they remind me of each other some. Dallas winters are better and as you know summers in DC area are hot and humid, perhaps some what better than this part of Tx but not enough to overcome winters. People will tell you traffic is aweful in Dallas but compared to NVA or NYC its a breeze to me. Where is your work location? If its near plano you have it made commute wise. If not let me know where to give you an updated view of traffic comparison.

Welcome to Texas... come look at Plano 75093, look along the white rock creek area as there tends to be more large trees and some elevation change in that area. Right on that area is pricey but you can be a mile or so away in a much more affordable home if that is your need.

Old 03-25-2012, 02:50 PM

250 posts, read 216,231 times
You will like Plano - plus if you have kids the schools are awesome.

Old 03-25-2012, 03:43 PM

8,390 posts, read 11,503,722 times
The biggest difference between the M Streets and W Plano are visual- W Plano was mostly developed between 1980-2000's so the homes are much bigger and less architecturally varied than the stunning Tudors, charming Austin stones, and quaint cottages of the M Streets. The trees in W Plano are better than some of the newer suburbs but have nothing on the foliage and tree "canopies" along most of the M Streets.

The other major difference is that the "major" streets are 6-8 lanes in W Plano vs 2-4 lanes in East Dallas. You can probably walk easily from your home to the many restaurants along Greenville or Henderson. You *can* do this in W Plano, it's just a tad less quaint crossing through the mega intersection of Park & Preston, for example.

Other than that, there are parks, activities, independent restaurants (along with more chains than E Dallas, but it's not all chains), diverse people, and some lovely neighborhoods. Also good schools should you need them.

Old 03-25-2012, 06:41 PM

814 posts, read 1,015,898 times
It's like comparing Lower Greenville to the Deg-ova(sp?) System

Old 03-25-2012, 07:30 PM

119 posts, read 112,251 times
Thanks for asking this question. We are deciding between Plano, Richardson and Dallas. We love the atmosphere of M Streets and also Hollywood Heights, but Plano is attractive to *me* because I'd have a short commute to work Husband would have a shorter commute if we lived in Dallas. However, what matters most is being close to things to do (exercise, eat, shop, etc) and being able to relax outside of work. No kids for a while so Plano/Richardson are not as attractive to us at the moment.
We've been steered toward Richardson (L Streets) by Realtor but really, really are closely considering Dallas. Tough decisions ahead!
Hope more people give input!

Old 03-25-2012, 08:27 PM

343 posts, read 396,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracenat View Post
Thanks for asking this question. We are deciding between Plano, Richardson and Dallas. We love the atmosphere of M Streets and also Hollywood Heights, but Plano is attractive to *me* because I'd have a short commute to work Husband would have a shorter commute if we lived in Dallas. However, what matters most is being close to things to do (exercise, eat, shop, etc) and being able to relax outside of work. No kids for a while so Plano/Richardson are not as attractive to us at the moment.
We've been steered toward Richardson (L Streets) by Realtor but really, really are closely considering Dallas. Tough decisions ahead!
In terms of neighborhood vitality, exercise environment, great local restaurants, and good shopping (especially boutiques), it is realllly hard to beat East Dallas. I love the area and if its realistic in your budget, lifestyle, and commute, I think you should give it serious consideration

Old 03-25-2012, 09:35 PM

Quote:
The L Streets aren't in Richardson- they're in the Lake Highlands neighborhood of Dallas, on the north side of White Rock Lake. Hollywood Heights is on the south end of the lake, about an 8-10 min drive.

The neighborhood is in Richardson ISD; but not close to Richardson - or Plano either. It would be a negligible commute difference vs Hollywood Heights/ East Dallas for you.

Old 03-26-2012, 07:41 AM

119 posts, read 112,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
The L Streets aren't in Richardson- they're in the Lake Highlands neighborhood of Dallas, on the north side of White Rock Lake. Hollywood Heights is on the south end of the lake, about an 8-10 min drive.

The neighborhood is in Richardson ISD; but not close to Richardson - or Plano either. It would be a negligible commute difference vs Hollywood Heights/ East Dallas for you.
Thanks, that is what I meant! What is your opinion of the L Streets? It doesn't seem to have the same feel as the other areas that we like.

Old 03-26-2012, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Thanks, that is what I meant! What is your opinion of the L Streets? It doesn't seem to have the same feel as the other areas that we like.
It's a nice neighborhood. Quite a few of my friends grew up there and slme of them are now living there again to raise their own families.

It's certainly not as architecturally interesting as Lakewood & other Old East Dallas neighborhoods. I also - personally- think LH severely lacks retail and commercial, especially when compared to Lower Greenville, Knox-Hendedson, the Park Cities, Lakewood.....neighborhoods that are reasonably close to LH for occasional but not daily needs.

Overall, I think it's a good choice for a young family who has a starter home budget but will need public schools soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas