Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2012, 09:41 PM

673 posts, read 3,089,957 times

Advertisements

These I have been driving 635 more often and I can't help but notice how bad the traffic is almost all the time! Ever since they started construction seems like traffic slowed downs 2x-3x times. Especially on High Five merging from 75 to 635 turns into crawl.

Anyhow, I really wonder if all this construction on LBJ/635 is worth it? Is those managed toll HOV lanes mentioned by project going solve the rampant jams at all? They aren't adding any more free lanes, just rebuilding them. Also, don't think they improving DNT & 635 or 75 & 635 interchange any. Oh yeah, anyone actually know when construction will be finished?

I somehow have feeling after this construction is done I will be still sitting in traffic jams in 635!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2012, 10:25 PM

990 posts, read 2,302,558 times
1.) I think there is a mistake in the thinking that a freeway reconstruction or even expansion is the answer to traffic problems. Ask Houston or Atlanta about that.

2.) Hopefully this project helps some simply by putting on more efficient on and off ramps and transitions to other freeways. But it can't be forgotten that the current 635 was old, dated, crumbling infrastructure that has to be rebuilt or simply torn down. Can't just let it rot as we've seen some other freeways in the area that have dangerous holes and pieces falling apart. Would rather they had just done a basic refurb with a rail line connecting the red, blue, green and orange lines running along 635.

3.) IMO, Traffic is not the fault of the road, but rather a result of human driving actions. It will always be there until the driving is left to the cars and gps like the project Google is working on. The tech is very close. Will be interesting to see the resistance.

Old 03-27-2012, 04:53 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,266,317 times
The high 5 is awful. AWFUL.

I don't think that LBJ's expansion will fix traffic problems. Central's expansion didn't solve its problems. Sure, it's better than it used to be...but they also did not add toll lanes.

Commuting on LBJ in the mornings is such a beating that I am actually looking for a new job just so I can avoid the hell that is now my morning commute (SB 75 WB LBJ SB 35E).

Old 03-27-2012, 09:27 AM

350 posts, read 867,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post

I don't think that LBJ's expansion will fix traffic problems. Central's expansion didn't solve its problems. Sure, it's better than it used to be...but they also did not add toll lanes.

Commuting on LBJ in the mornings is such a beating that I am actually looking for a new job just so I can avoid the hell that is now my morning commute (SB 75 WB LBJ SB 35E).
You know, you could always move into the city...

Old 03-27-2012, 11:18 AM

169 posts, read 433,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT3x View Post
LBJ will be better once this is done temporally. By making the road better, folks will just move out further form their job(s). Eventually, more folks will begin moving into the city, or closer to their jobs. I saw this happen in ATL about 5-10 years ago, and it's starting to happen in Dallas now.

TXDOX can only make the roads so wide, and have so much capacity, before you have to make a decision on where you will live and work.

Old 03-27-2012, 12:10 PM

663 posts, read 1,724,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rantanamo View Post
1.) I think there is a mistake in the thinking that a freeway reconstruction or even expansion is the answer to traffic problems. Ask Houston or Atlanta about that.

2.) Hopefully this project helps some simply by putting on more efficient on and off ramps and transitions to other freeways. But it can't be forgotten that the current 635 was old, dated, crumbling infrastructure that has to be rebuilt or simply torn down. Can't just let it rot as we've seen some other freeways in the area that have dangerous holes and pieces falling apart. Would rather they had just done a basic refurb with a rail line connecting the red, blue, green and orange lines running along 635.

3.) IMO, Traffic is not the fault of the road, but rather a result of human driving actions. It will always be there until the driving is left to the cars and gps like the project Google is working on. The tech is very close. Will be interesting to see the resistance.
What does Atlanta know about freeways? They haven't built a new controlled-access highway since the 1980's. They just keep slapping more lanes on their 5 or 6 existing controlled-acess highways and wondering why traffic doesn't ever get any better. I left Atlanta primarily because of the traffic. It sucks. Hard. As bad as you may think I635 or US75 is, almost any Atlanta highway is far far worse.

Old 03-27-2012, 12:48 PM

673 posts, read 3,089,957 times
Interestingly I think it hard to find good alternative from SB 75 (Plano) to West 635. I could take PGBT and DNT, but the DNT also has traffic jams SB often enough. Also, I will admit I don't like paying tolls :P

Old 03-27-2012, 01:27 PM

2,110 posts, read 6,462,167 times
we need another highway that runs from the East Plano, Allen, Sachse, Murphy area down to somewhere near downtown. That would help a lot. A LOT of people live in the northern burbs and commute towards the city and we need more roads to allow them to travel. Thankfully I drive to work at 6am and drive home at 3:30-4 so I miss most of the bad stuff.

Old 03-27-2012, 02:25 PM

26 posts, read 48,838 times
What is the point of HOV and managed HOV lanes if 1) the managed lane is rarely open and 2) most people don't carpool unless it involves students/kids going somewhere

Old 03-27-2012, 10:12 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,266,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT3x View Post
I don't want to re-hash this for the 900th time, but the only real estate in my price range in any neighborhood in Dallas I'd want to live in consisted of townhomes and condos. We can't all afford Lakewood. Richardson is pretty damn close-in. If I threw a rock hard enough, I'd hit the high 5...so it's not like I'm coming from Allen or something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas