Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2012, 09:26 AM

8,734 posts, read 13,815,029 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss J 74 View Post
So I posted a while back I am looking into the possibility of moving to the DFW area. I'm planning a trip there in 2 weeks. Since talking to a few people, these are the comments I commonly hear, which I tend to take a grain of salt:
That is probably best.

Quote:
1. "It's 120 degrees there....in the shade!!" (My boss keeps saying this to me, I joke it's because he knows I will be hard to replace) I've spent summers in PR where you sweat standing still even at 10pm. I think I can handle it.
Summers in Puerto Rico are definitely hotter and more humid. Dallas when it is really hot has only been in the 110s, That's why there is AC in cars, homes, etc.

Quote:
2. "You might not get hired with a Jewish last name, it's all very Christian down there." I doubt this one is true as I have received call backs on my resume, but since I won't be there for another 2 weeks, I'm holding off on sending until a week before.
Yes, that's just silly. There is quite a Jewish population here.

Quote:
3. "Traffic is horrible there". Umm I'm from NYC. Traffic is horrible in any major city and if I can handle traffic here, I can pretty much handle it anywhere. I found DC/Baltimore to be worse.
Yes traffic is bad during week day rush hours. it is manageable most of the time - just make sure your car has AC.

Quote:
4. "It's extremely conservative down there, so your views will differ, you know". I'm not a liberal by any stretch, I'm more independent or middle of the road. And politics have never been a big thing with me.
You'll fit in, major metropolitan areas will have a fair share across the political spectrum.

Quote:
5. "Why Dallas or Fort Worth? If I was going to move to any city in TX it would be maybe Austin". At least a dozen people have said this. I did initially look into this, however 1. No jobs in my field there and 2. I'm not a big fan of well, hipsters. I have enough here in Brooklyn.
Austin is a great place to visit.

Quote:
6. "Dallas is so plastic, it's like a mini L.A. and some people are fake". I have no idea on this one as I don't pass judgment. But there are all kinds of people here in NYC from fake to real, I imagine the DFW area is no different.
Those critics were probably watching GCB for their source material.

Quote:
7. "Fort Worth is more Dallas' country bumpkin cousin, you might want to be there instead" I don't even know where to go with this one.
These critics probably just don't like Texas all together, and just want to find anyway to slight the state.

Quote:
I will make my own observations while there, but kind of tired of hearing the assumptions and narrow mindedness of other Northerners. They keep talking as if everyone below the Mason / Dixon line is all toothless rednecks still flying the Confederate Flag and making moonshine in their barn. I know quite a few people out there (9 total) and none of them are like that.
The problem with that is that most people you run into in Dallas is a transplant - not many natives. i came here by way of Chicago.

Quote:
What ammunition can I use when I keep hearing these ignorant comments?
You could take their criticisms as a way of really letting you know how much they will miss you and will say anything to just keep you around, which is sweet. They really like you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2012, 09:56 AM

5,872 posts, read 8,091,967 times
Quote:
So I posted a while back I am looking into the possibility of moving to the DFW area. I'm planning a trip there in 2 weeks. Since talking to a few people, these are the comments I commonly hear, which I tend to take a grain of salt:

1. "It's 120 degrees there....in the shade!!" (My boss keeps saying this to me, I joke it's because he knows I will be hard to replace) I've spent summers in PR where you sweat standing still even at 10pm. I think I can handle it.

Don't be fooled 120*...115* maybe...LOL! I actually have a pic of it. But last summer was unusually hot. Temp's are normally in the lower 100* range from mid June through early Sept. But no where near PR type of hot/muggy.

2. "You might not get hired with a Jewish last name, it's all very Christian down there." I doubt this one is true as I have received call backs on my resume, but since I won't be there for another 2 weeks, I'm holding off on sending until a week before.

Ridiculous. There is a large Jewish presence in Texas and while there IS some 1950's attitudes, they have learned to keep it to themselves for the most part but being from NY it's no different from there.

3. "Traffic is horrible there". Umm I'm from NYC. Traffic is horrible in any major city and if I can handle traffic here, I can pretty much handle it anywhere. I found DC/Baltimore to be worse.

Traffic is horrible. But if you're from NYC, LA, or Boston...it's just another day in paradise. To be real, traffic is just as bad if not worse in Austin, and even more frustrating.

4. "It's extremely conservative down there, so your views will differ, you know". I'm not a liberal by any stretch, I'm more independent or middle of the road. And politics have never been a big thing with me.

Yeah, it's pretty conservative here. It is the 'Bible-belt', but again for the most part Texans are pretty much live and let live...'till you bring politics into it, and then it's a free for all.

5. "Why Dallas or Fort Worth? If I was going to move to any city in TX it would be maybe Austin". At least a dozen people have said this. I did initially look into this, however 1. No jobs in my field there and 2. I'm not a big fan of well, hipsters. I have enough here in Brooklyn.

Austin IS more liberal, more relaxed, more laid back and accepting. But if you don't like "hipsters" Austin would drive you freakin' bat-****!

6. "Dallas is so plastic, it's like a mini L.A. and some people are fake". I have no idea on this one as I don't pass judgment. But there are all kinds of people here in NYC from fake to real, I imagine the DFW area is no different.

DFW is in NO WAY as "fake" as NYC or LA (imo). It's just not comparable. Now, there will be back biting and gossiping...it's almost the State "sport". It's been perfected to an art form almost. But I'm sure you've experienced a Major League dose of it as well coming from NYC.

7. "Fort Worth is more Dallas' country bumpkin cousin, you might want to be there instead" I don't even know where to go with this one.

Either is a good choice, but coming from NYC I would suggest DAL first.

I will make my own observations while there, but kind of tired of hearing the assumptions and narrow mindedness of other Northerners. They keep talking as if everyone below the Mason / Dixon line is all toothless rednecks still flying the Confederate Flag and making moonshine in their barn. I know quite a few people out there (9 total) and none of them are like that.

These people will have their biases no matter what. You can use the 'Southern equivalent' when they're spouting off their comments since you'll be coming and should get used to using "lingo". You can just smile sweetly and tilt your head just a bit to the side and say

"Bless your heart."

Hope these help.

Old 03-29-2012, 11:09 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,152,085 times
I am wondering why they would think Fort Worth would be better since they consider it even more country bumpkin than Dallas ...

Old 03-29-2012, 12:36 PM

325 posts, read 756,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
I am wondering why they would think Fort Worth would be better since they consider it even more country bumpkin than Dallas ...
Maybe they prefer cow patties to plastic?

More likely the people that have these opinions haven't been to the DFW area in a long time, if ever.

Of course, if their opinions are formed from movies and TV shows, I'd hate to think what they're opinion of New Jersey is right now....

Old 03-29-2012, 12:50 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,152,085 times
Many times I think the Austin rec is because they think that's the only place in Texas with a significant number of Democrats. I'm sure they have no idea that Dallas County is dominated by Democrats. They probably would not believe it if you told them...

Old 03-29-2012, 05:19 PM

7,887 posts, read 11,404,388 times
OP no discussion or comment is going to get their attention. NYers feel like they are the center of the universe and everyone should want to live there. You arent likely to impact them or make them waiver a second.

My recommendation is "I recommend you not move to DFW (or Texas) since you dont value the things it has to offer"

If one place was prefect fo us all, we'd all live there and imagine the traffic jams so celebrate our differences.

Old 03-29-2012, 05:47 PM

31 posts, read 68,788 times
Quote:

I've been here about 7 months so far and I really like living here. I grew up in NJ (but have lived all around the world since then), so I know where you are coming from. To address the comments that people have said to you:

1. I arrived here at the end of August - and it was very hot. The thing that was so surprising to me was the fact that at 10 PM it would still be close to 100 degrees. But as other people said - that's why there is AC. And it's not as humid as on the east coast.

2. I have no experience with this - but I really can't imagine it being a problem in 2012.

3. I lived in DC for 2 years. I lived 7.5 miles from my office. My commute was usually about an hour. Up to 2 hours on the way home in November and December (my office was in Tysons Corner). My now husband lived in Baltimore - it would take 3 hours to drive the 40 miles to see him on a Friday afternoon. Traffic is never fun - but it's no way as bad as DC was.

4. I haven't seen anyone being in your face with politics since I've been here. Unless you know someone well, most people wouldn't discuss politics anyway, so I don't see it being much of an issue.

5. I can't comment on this - but I've heard great things about Austin.

6. I don't agree with this. I guess that if you are fake and plastic your friends will be as well. But I'm not and my friends are nice, warm, friendly people - who haven't had plastic surgery! I haven't even really noticed this being a strong trait of people here - maybe I'm just clueless tho.

7. Can't comment.

I do think that making mass generalizations of millions of people just shows ignorance. I've seen posts on this board stating that all people from the east coast are rude and unfriendly - which you know is completely false. So it seems that it goes both ways. But you have the right idea to come down here and make up your own mind. It's a huge area, and chances are that you will find people that you have a lot in common with and who will end up being your friends.

Good luck with your trip here and whatever decision that you make!

Old 03-29-2012, 06:46 PM

2,348 posts, read 4,817,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
NYers feel like they are the center of the universe and everyone should want to live there. You arent likely to impact them or make them waiver a second.

Nyers aside... Like it or not, NYC IS in fact the center of the universe, this is why there is attitude associated with the natives. It's easily one of the greatest cities in the world and hands-down the greatest city in the US.

I am from Boston, we live in the shadow of NY more than any other place in the US. Accept the truth, NYC is one of the greatest cities ever created by the hand of man, anyone who thinks differently is either in denial or just dead wrong. Cased closed.

OP shouldn't expect ANY NYC in Dallas, which isn't a negative, just an expectation that needs to be set. And listening to just about any opinions from people in the Northeast about Texas (unless they have experienced it) is generally useless. People up here know so very little about Texas or Texans, and most people up here have little interest in learning about it. Which makes them (generally) a poor source for information on Texas. Make your own judgements by visiting and spending time talking to folks.

Last edited by skids929; 03-29-2012 at 06:58 PM..

Old 03-29-2012, 07:23 PM

7,887 posts, read 11,404,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skids929 View Post
Nyers aside... Like it or not, NYC IS in fact the center of the universe, this is why there is attitude associated with the natives. It's easily one of the greatest cities in the world and hands-down the greatest city in the US.

I am from Boston, we live in the shadow of NY more than any other place in the US. Accept the truth, NYC is one of the greatest cities ever created by the hand of man, anyone who thinks differently is either in denial or just dead wrong. Cased closed.

OP shouldn't expect ANY NYC in Dallas, which isn't a negative, just an expectation that needs to be set. And listening to just about any opinions from people in the Northeast about Texas (unless they have experienced it) is generally useless. People up here know so very little about Texas or Texans, and most people up here have little interest in learning about it. Which makes them (generally) a poor source for information on Texas. Make your own judgements by visiting and spending time talking to folks.
I lived in N NJ burbs of NYC for 6 years. In Houston for 30 and Dallas for 2 years. NYC is no where near the center of my universe, its priced itself out of revelance to 95% of Americans. Sure it has things no other city does but at the price of what? The value proposition isnt there for NYC. I like the NYers who thought Phily was way out west because it was way past NJ. Too crowded as well and instrastructure aging and cost of building/repairing things up there is beyond rational thanks to the unions and city rules. Its not denial or being wrong...its valuing things NYC does not have and that list is very very long, this just scratches the surface. (My brother who has lived in Manhattan since 1971 disagrees with me too but he like you is wrong as well )

Old 03-29-2012, 08:01 PM

2,628 posts, read 4,609,465 times
Thanks for all of the replies.

Like I said, I have friends in the DFW area. One in Tyler, one in Arp, 2 in Plano, 1 in Arlington. On top of that I have 1 friend in San Antonio, 2 in Houston and 1 in Austin. So 9 total. Some lived there almost all their life, the rest are people I grew up with who relocated. All are very nice people.

I've stated in my other posts why I am dying to leave NYC. Photography listed pretty much most of my reasons with his post. I'm tired of "just getting by". I make a decent salary by the country's standards, but in NYC, I'm only slightly above the poverty level. Despite having 19 years in the same field, my position doesn't command much here. It saddens me that in Texas I can make the same pay or more than I do now yet pay half the amount in rent.

While I know some people idealize NYC, being born and raised I've just grown out of it. I'm closing the doors on a relationship, I'm back in school and ready to start a new chapter in my life. When I see how clean and efficient other cities are, I almost itch coming back to NYC and how dirty it really is. We don't notice it because we're immune to it. Messed up when you think about it.

As for personality, I should fit right in. I've been told I'm a rare gem here in that I'm brutally honest and direct and to the point. But I do it in a way of being tactful. I keep an open mind about things and will never forget that Dallas is not NYC. For one to think it will be the same is foolish. I want to go elsewhere that is NOT the same for a good reason!

So I guess I will start sending out my resume now. I don't think the job will be the issue, for me it will be the apt since my credit was screwed from the economy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas