Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2012, 08:24 PM

2,206 posts, read 4,745,747 times

Advertisements

Two good friends of mine are Jewish and from NYC. One went to Stuy and both went to the same Ivy.

They moved here 15 years ago and now have 4 kids and two SUVs, and even shop at Costco and Wallyworld. One son plays varsity football. They were big city democrats but their views have changed a lot since 9/11, having kids, living in TX, and being with my other Jewish friends, all of whom served in the IDF.

They say they will never move back.

FWIW, my maternal grandfather was Ashkenazim. When his parents came to the US, they took a common Anglo name when they moved to the South. Ironically, he married my maternal grandmother, who was adopted, but her blood parents were Yaakels. Her adopted parents had the same surname which she assumed. Both were more Anglo than Jewish in outlook growing up. They were probably the only two Ashkenazim for hundreds of miles but they met and married. Small world. That makes me 1/2 jew, 1/4 scot, and 1/4 American Indian.

My point in all this is that TX is rapidly becoming one huge melting pot - and this area from OK down to Mexico over to LA and West to NM is extremely rich in many cultures, languages, and ethnic groups. And has been for a very, very long time - going all the way back to prehistory.

This makes TX unique in many respects.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2012, 12:27 PM

110 posts, read 254,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacation101 View Post
I look at places like the Dallas suburbs or even the Park Cities and I think of the movie Pleasantville. Everyone looks the same, drives the same cars, wears the same clothes. It's ostentatious. And the obsession with guns drives me crazy. And the fact that most of good restaurants are filled solely with Caucasians. And that most people vote Republican. And almost everyone goes to church. I think it's crazy that I have to drive to buy a carton of milk. And that no one delivers food.

Clearly, I have some adjusting to do if I'm going to live in Dallas...
Are these actual observations or thoughts based on pre-conceived notions/media brainwashing?

Have you ever reviewed the political/religous/ethnicity statistics here on CD for Dallas?

Last edited by trc_everything; 03-30-2012 at 12:41 PM..

Old 03-30-2012, 01:06 PM

2,169 posts, read 5,169,500 times
Quote:
I look at places like the Dallas suburbs or even the Park Cities and I think of the movie Pleasantville. Everyone looks the same, drives the same cars, wears the same clothes. It's ostentatious. And the obsession with guns drives me crazy. And the fact that most of good restaurants are filled solely with Caucasians. And that most people vote Republican. And almost everyone goes to church. I think it's crazy that I have to drive to buy a carton of milk. And that no one delivers food.

Clearly, I have some adjusting to do if I'm going to live in Dallas...[/color]
And, clearly, you don't know Dallas as well as you think you do either. First off, I love New York (though not to live necessarily). But to say that everyone in Dallas is a gun-toting, church-going, status-obsessed Republican (not that there's anything wrong with that!) is not true. Yes, that's the stereotype that fuels shows like "GCB" but that doesn't make it true.

Without going into whether it's a good or bad thing, Dallas is now a "blue" city that's now majority-minority. Even Dallas County went for Obama by a fairly large margin in 2008.

2008 US Presidential Election Results by County - Texas - USATODAY.com

Granted, once you get outside of Dallas County and into the burbs and exurbs, it gets more conservative but that's true of most cities in America, even New York and LA. And I'm not saying there's not some elements of truth to the plastic stereotype in certain areas of town but I think you get a lot of that in most Sunbelt cities -- LA, South Florida, Phoenix, Atlanta -- where there seems to be a high priority put on outward appearances. But you can pretty easily avoid all of that nonsense if you want as there lots of people who don't care about that.

Old 03-30-2012, 07:44 PM

64 posts, read 279,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trc_everything View Post
Are these actual observations or thoughts based on pre-conceived notions/media brainwashing?

Have you ever reviewed the political/religous/ethnicity statistics here on CD for Dallas?
Actual observations based on admittedly small data points.

Old 03-30-2012, 07:49 PM

64 posts, read 279,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueDat View Post
And, clearly, you don't know Dallas as well as you think you do either. First off, I love New York (though not to live necessarily). But to say that everyone in Dallas is a gun-toting, church-going, status-obsessed Republican (not that there's anything wrong with that!) is not true. Yes, that's the stereotype that fuels shows like "GCB" but that doesn't make it true.

Without going into whether it's a good or bad thing, Dallas is now a "blue" city that's now majority-minority. Even Dallas County went for Obama by a fairly large margin in 2008.

2008 US Presidential Election Results by County - Texas - USATODAY.com

Granted, once you get outside of Dallas County and into the burbs and exurbs, it gets more conservative but that's true of most cities in America, even New York and LA. And I'm not saying there's not some elements of truth to the plastic stereotype in certain areas of town but I think you get a lot of that in most Sunbelt cities -- LA, South Florida, Phoenix, Atlanta -- where there seems to be a high priority put on outward appearances. But you can pretty easily avoid all of that nonsense if you want as there lots of people who don't care about that.
I never said I knew Dallas well. It's my first set of impressions based on a series of house hunting trips. Everyone I met had a gun. Were Christian. And Republican. Just my observation with a limited sample size. Hope I'm wrong but I don't think so... Unfortunately.

Old 03-30-2012, 11:56 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,266,317 times
Quote:
I never said I knew Dallas well. It's my first set of impressions based on a series of house hunting trips. Everyone I met had a gun. Were Christian. And Republican. Just my observation with a limited sample size. Hope I'm wrong but I don't think so... Unfortunately.

You're wrong. Fortunately.

Old 03-31-2012, 12:36 PM

1,009 posts, read 1,988,669 times
Just come on down darling, everything will be fine! We'll be glad to have ya. Hope you get the job you want.

Old 03-31-2012, 12:39 PM

556 posts, read 1,562,789 times
Saw the thread title and thought Lamar Odom was posting. Oops.

Old 03-31-2012, 12:43 PM

2,628 posts, read 4,608,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stilldriveem View Post
Just come on down darling, everything will be fine! We'll be glad to have ya. Hope you get the job you want.
Thanks, I just need to start over and the thought of spending another year here in NY makes me want to scream.

Old 03-31-2012, 12:46 PM

1 posts, read 847 times
I lived in Houston, Dallas, London and NYC. I loved NYC! It's spectacular! NY is the best city in the world. I would say Paris too! But then again, i'm lucky and have $$ to live pretty comfortably. I lived in Manhattan and it was like heaven for me.

Dallas is a good city for a family, but it simply isn't in NYCs level in status or excitement. I honestly felt depressed coming back to Dallas, yearning for the vibe, excitement, sophistication and grand architecture of NYC or Paris. I'm a native Texan too!

But I agree, for the average middle-class family, you will live a more comfortable lifestyle in Dallas than these big expensive NYC-London-Paris type metropolises. They can be difficult. But NYC has many really gorgeous suburbs that nothing in Dallas can compare to so (barring costs), a family could comfortably stay in the area and take advantage of the city.

Last edited by sls8; 03-31-2012 at 12:56 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas